Song Help Request Songs with a I-IV-I-V progression

Trader Todd

Reaction score
I'm looking for a list of pop, rock and country songs with at I-IV-I-V progression. (second time around the last bar turns with a |V/ I /| ). Not just songs with I IV and V chords but that specific progression. I call it the Blue Moon of KT progression. It's My Lazy Day is another example. I know there are 100's more, but I'm drawing a blank.

I don't really have a list, but I know I'll be able to come up with a few, I daresay. "Wreck of the Old '97" is a song with the progression you specify. I'll see if I can list more at a later date.

I don't really have a list, but I know I'll be able to come up with a few, I daresay. "Wreck of the Old '97" is a song with the progression you specify. I'll see if I can list more at a later date.

that's a very good suggestion, I am very interested.

I am also very interested and looking forward to everyone's contributions. If you're willing to fudge a bit of the timing, try:

Wimoweh (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)
Lean on Me
Another Saturday Night (and I ain't got Nobody)
Show Me the Way to Go Home
I Saw Her Standing There

If you change up the timing so the root chord is on the pickup and it's more like IV-I-V-I then you have:

Midnight Special
Lovin' Spoonful
Aloha Oe
On Top of Old Smokey

And of course if you've got Wreck of the Old '97 then you've got Charlie and the MTA.

Top Bottom