Baritone Strumming

Do you have audio or video where I can hear this tuning, thank you.

At the moment I don't have any audio samples of that. If you have a baritone it is easy enough to just tune it up one full step to E, A, C#, F#.

If you don't then let me know and I can do a sound sample tonight and post it here.

Thnak you I've tried with mine and it is too much stretched.

Try a Kanile'a K-1 Baritone. I own 7 baritones including Style 1 Martin, Kamaka, Pono, Black Bear and several others. In my opinion the two best for strumming are, first, the Kanile'a and, second, the Martin.

Dave, yes, that's the right tuning (the name of a tuning is the name of the 3rd string - the root), and Bills suggestion is great for giving you an idea of how the pitch will sound. Not only that, but what he says here:

... you keep using the same chord shapes to play your favourite tunes. It will sound different at the same time as sounding the same because it will be in a different key.

can't be repeated enough. Chord shapes stay the same no matter the tuning, and if your instrument is for solo play, then you don't even learn new names - just play as you always do.

But bear in mind that having strings that allow that pitch on open notes will give a different sound than just using a capo. For the "capo" sound, you pretty much go back to that mft video, as in playing up the neck, often times his pitch is about where open strings would be in A tuning.

The reason we like a somewhat higher tuning on a Baritone (you decide where) is that not only do higher pitches produce fuller resonance on the 4th string, but the lighter gauges needed for a higher pitch yield greater clarity throughout. No way around it, the strings you need for traditional Baritone tuning are HEAVY. If you like that "warm" sound so many mention in regards to the Baritone, that's fine, but lighter gauges / higher tuning will give you the type of response you're used to on other Ukulele sizes.

And in case anyone missed the other litle link to an excellent Baritone strum video, here's the Doc:

(jeez, Doc, is it still that cold in Norseland? It's summer in Dixie! And p.s: I also have that Toussaint on my wall.)

Last edited:
Hey Doc,

Great job on the video, thanks for sharing.

Hi Dirk,

I was wondering if your dGBE Heavy Mediums are available now?

Also, I am considering re stringing my 19" LN Kamaka Tenor as a re entrant Baritone. dGBE.

I like high tension but want to keep it traditional tuning as I plan on playing with others. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hey Doc,

Great job on the video, thanks for sharing.

Hi Dirk,

I was wondering if your dGBE Heavy Mediums are available now?

Also, I am considering re stringing my 19" LN Kamaka Tenor as a re entrant Baritone. dGBE.

I like high tension but want to keep it traditional tuning as I plan on playing with others. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hello Sam,

Glad you added the part about "traditional" tuning, as it gives me a pretty fair idea what you're asking. There's a particular slang common on this forum that causes us all sorts of grief when it comes to inquiries. This is a good illustration.

dGBE as it's written here often seems to mean traditional Ukulele reentrant tuning in Key of G. What gets us into trouble is that when people ask about that tuning we're never sure if they mean what they've written. Take a look - dGBE, with d in lowercase and E in caps would indicate an E note lower than the d. The problem for us is we make that set! To revert to standard notation, we make both d' g b e' and d' g b e. It's the set Sopher mentions that he likes for Baritone strumming in the early part of this thread.

And though I don't generally talk about our own products specifically here, the second tuning, the one we call a Lili'u set-up, is not only our most popular Specialty set, we're about to make Lili'u sets in an expanded range of tensions, including fixed note C tuning. To give a simple explanation, they give practically the same depth as a Linear set with the same sweet 1st position chord inversions you get from traditional reentrant tuning (Lili'u is double reentrant). I mention them at this point because for a lot of folks, this is the ultimate strum set, and up to now we've had them specifically pointed at the Baritone.

But with the word "traditional" I'd say you mean the older Ukulele reentrant tuning. There are a number of sets that can be tuned to reentrant G, depending on your taste in tension, and remember, a 19" scale will produce a bit less pull than our ratings for 20". Starting next week they'll be 3 different series - the NWs (no wounds) are out now, but the first of the W3s (polished low density wound 3rds) and Lili'us come out next week. You can actually see the "bones" of the new structure on site already, and we're busy doing reviews and updating Tips letters and the Materials page.

Unfortunately, if it's the deeper tunings you're looking for, it's mainly the Medium Gauges that come out in next weeks' release. But if you want to wait for one of those wound string series, the Heavier Gauges should follow up quickly. We've got newsletters, and if you're signed up you get a Bulletin when the new sets are released and a Tips letter comparing the new arrivals with suggestions for best use.

Thanks for asking (now back to work!)

Last edited:
Great insight re: intonation, Anthony. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom