Oh snap! I did it again, NUD White Label Kamaka Tenor - 70's (?)

Trader Todd

Reaction score
I just can't help myself. My new to me Kamaka Tenor arrived today. It was an impulse bid on fleabay. I thought for sure somebody would out bid me, but that wasn't the case, so the UAS curse of the Tiki strikes again..

I'm told that it is a 70's era (I'm a sucker for old wood). I'm hoping somebody in the know can tell if that is true and how do you know? Seems in very good condition for its age.

I gave it a hour long workout this afternoon. It is strung low g, which is fairly new to me. It sounds very good, bright with some creamy chimey-ness when attacked right. Great set up and action. My Kanilea sounds so good in low G, I have a feeling this one will end up reentrant. Only a few dozen strings changes until we know for certain. I like the neck. Not the prettiest piece of Koa in the world, but I think I'll keep this one around awhile.

I know without pictures, it is like it never happened. I've never been able to embed photos here, so the thumbnails will have to do.

0526161557.jpg0526161557b.jpg0526161558.jpg0526161558a.jpg0526161558b.jpg

Now the dilemma sets in. When one comes in, one goes out. I really don't want to part with my Pono (I'm a sucker for cedar) and it seems redundant to have 2 Koa tenors, but the Kanilea and Kamaka have such different voices and vibes (and better projection than the Pono). The only other option is to sacrifice one of those tall 6 steel stringed thingys in the closet gathering dust or one of those Fender boxes with the tubes (I'm a sucker for tubes) in it.

Even with all the stress of deciding which piece of gear is getting kicked out of the sand box, NUD is still a pretty joyful feeling. Oddly, as good as it sounds, my playing hasn't gotten any better?!? I may have been duped...

Last edited:
Congrats on your NUD White Label Kamaka ... many people don't share your philosophy of one new one in and one out the door ...

I wouldn't rush your decision. You are right. Those Ukes have very different voices and are all awesome in their own right.

Even with all the stress of deciding which piece of gear is getting kicked out of the sand box, NUD is still a pretty joyful feeling. Oddly, as good as it sounds, my playing hasn't gotten any better?!? I may have been duped...

Wait just a minute. I always thought that a high end Uke would make me play better. Who do I talk to about this? :deadhorse:

Now the dilemma sets in. When one comes in, one goes out....The only other option is to sacrifice one of those tall 6 steel stringed thingys in the closet gathering dust
You still have 6 steel string thingys? I see no dilemma here. ;)

Wait just a minute. I always thought that a high end Uke would make me play better. Who do I talk to about this? :deadhorse:

Perhaps we just need to buy a more expensive Uke! LOL.

:wallbash:

Congratulations Todd, great addition to your growing stable. I am with sam13..........ukes with different voices are the rationale behind "aquiring" more.

I do "sound" better on better sounding ukes.........I don't play any better but I do sound better, even my mistakes sound better:music:

Thanks for all the kind comments. Played it for a good bit last night, really happy with it. Can anybody help me date it?

" Can anybody help me date it?"
First, take it out for dinner and cocktails, and after paying the check, that's when you make your move. Be confident... and by all means TRY not to act desperate... :iwant:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind comments. Played it for a good bit last night, really happy with it. Can anybody help me date it?
Is there any way that Kamaka can date it for you? Have you been in contact with them about it?

" Can anybody help me date it?"
First, take it out for dinner and cocktails, and after paying the check, that's when you make your move. Be confident... and by all means TRY not to act desperate... :iwant:

After dinner I went for it. I was hoping for a C#aug7 and all I got was a C major...

Congratulations. Give yourself some time to figure what goes out the door. Enjoy!!

Top Bottom