Thrifted Dulcimer Factory DF1.... Now what?

Inkdork

Reaction score
So in my attempt to get out of the house today and not spend money, I bought a Dulcimer Factory DF1 dulcimer from a thrift shop today. It looks to be in pretty good shape, but desperately needs new strings and I know nothing about this instrument. I literally just started learning to play my uke(s), and string instruments are still way new to me.

Can anyone give me any pointers on what types/brands of strings are good for it? Preliminary research says this was one of Dulcimer Factory's budget pieces but I'm not finding much online to tell whether I paid a fair price on it or not. I paid $45.

TIA. :)

As stringed instrument riddles go, this is a pretty easy one. The scale is close to that of a guitar, so guitar strings can get you started. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, If you're tuning D - A - A, you can use D and A guitar strings. At least it's a place to start.

The folks at the Dulcimer forum will take you the rest of the way, but i just wanted to give you something simple to hang your hat onto. You'll like it.

I actually tried picking out a simple tune on it this evening and even though the current strings are in sad shape, I managed a little. I forgot to take a pick out with me, so I used a button instead. Boyfriend has 10 guitars and I find picks of all sorts all the time, but did I grab one? Nope! LOL

Top Bottom