Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasonistas Baritone Thread

Great idea to have a thread for the baritones - I feel like I can finally play 'guitar' and get that nice deep sound, due to the small size. : )

Seriously considering ordering one of those Clearwater roundbacks. Has to be shipped all the way from the U.K., though.
    YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas
    Axes:
    Sopranos - Kala Makala, Kala Ukadelic Texas Flag, Bruko Hilo (vintage 1960s!)
    Concert - Epiphone Les Paul
    Tenors - Kala KA-TE, Kala KA-TEME,
    Banjo Uke: Duke (tenor scale)
    Not a ukulele: Seagull Merlin (stick dulcimer)
    Keys:
    Hohner Instructor 32 melodica
    Ukulele Country: My blog about the ukulele and other musical things.

Very tempted myself - but my cedar top is just so nice that my UAS has just ended, (I think).
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phluffy the Destroyer View Post
    They make GCEA strings for baritones. I don't like them personally, but enough people do that they exist, BUT they are an option that you can explore for not a lot of money. Another option is to string your bari with GCEA tenor strings, but I don't advise it if you have weak fingers. The strings will be extremely tight compared to the GCEA baritone strings. I decided to use tenor strings one one of my baritones, because the bari strings seemed really loose and sloppy for my playing style. (which is why I didn't like them). However, the sound is more like a really loud tenor and lacks the rich sound of a baritone.

But, as has already been pointed out, the finger patterns don't change. The chords and notes change, but not the fingering. If you compare GCEA tuning to DGBE tuning, the fingering looks something like this:

GCEA = DGBE

C ______ G
    D ______ A
    E ______ B
    F ______ C
    G ______ D
    A ______ E
    B ______ F

(All the minors and 7th's are the same finger positions too.)

The reason this is important to know if you play a baritone is that the different fingerings make the chords sound very different. As you can well imagine, when you play a G chord (for instance) using 3 fingers; it sounds rather different than playing a G chord with one finger. This is precisely why I keep ukes with different tunings around.
    On this chart, the B at the bottom left should be a Bb. In other words, to play an F chord on a baritone, you play a Bb tenor uke shape, not a B shape (which would be one fret up).

This video popped up as a suggestion - I think this guy is hilarious and brilliant with his dampening sponge for a jazzy baritone uke sound

Nice find, thanks for posting.

this is a lil instrumental piece I wrote the other day using this uke.
    it's a fairly cheap mahalo baritone mahogany laminate that I painted.

Proves that we don't need expensive ukes to make music - nice one, Jon.

About to buy another because there is a hole in my soundboard, but I have to tune mine to Gcea (Melissa watches my hands to get the chords LOL)...It is still deeper, but boy do I need one strung correctly. Mine is in about every video- I dunno, you tell me. Definitely not as bright as any of my tenors...but that is how I like it.
    My strings are SOuthcoast mediums

Quote Originally Posted by JackLuis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    Adding this here for you to hear what the Guadalupe strings sound like on my tenor. The strings are a little slack on the tenor so this is tuned ADF#B. ...

... Guadalupe are for GCEA tuned an octave lower than the usual tones of a tenor. ADF#B is just tuned a whole step up to take up the slack (But still an octave lower) and you still play that tuning just as if its a GCEA. It just requires you to adjust your singing a couple notes higher. No big deal at all.
    That Pono sounded wonderful and you played and sang great too! But another tuning to learn chords to! I'm just getting used to G tuning!

I've been waiting for the Worth Browns I put on my baritone to settle, to record them while I play something recognizable. I have some Worth Brown Fats that should yield a hi d and I'll try that on the Big Zebra before I get all crazy. I kind of like the re-entrant G tuning.

I may try tuning my Zebra Tenor to aDF#B. It has Brown Fats on it tuned dGBE and the strings are a little slack. Hmmm....
    Like Linda & Phluffy say. You're not learning any new chords with the different tunings. You already know all the chord shapes. The relative tuning is the same whatever pitch you're tuned to. All you need to remember is which letters those shapes map on to!

If you want to know what's the optimum pitch/string configuration to make your uke sound good, check out Southcoast Mike's guide to tuning here: the Southcoast Guide to Tuning & Strings
    Last edited by redpaul1; 10-21-2016 at 04:58 AM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Thread Information