Six-String Tenor Uke Tuning Experiment

SteveZ

Reaction score
Sometimes one can have fun experimenting with different string and tuning combinations. Lately, have been doing this with my six-string tenor uke. Six-string ukes especially are interesting because of the string combinations which work (and some that don't) and the varied sounds they can produce.

Have been trying to get GDAE tuning in some fashion to work well on my Lanikai LU-6. I play a lot of "Gulf and Western" stuff, and fifths tuning just feels (to me, anyway) the most comfortable with this genre. Have done CGDA variations on the LU-6, but GDAE has proven trickier. The latest attempt, which I like the most, comes out G3-D3-D4-A3-E4-E5. The G3, D3 and A3 are wound strings. A sound sample of the result is at: https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/lanikai-lu-6-gddaee-barometer

Some folk may argue that six-string ukes sound more like guitars that "traditional" ukes, especially when tuned other than GCEA. My take is simple - music is fun, and we all have our favorite genres and styles. Musical instruments are intended to be versatile (how many genres/styles use keyboards?). Man makes the instrument adapt to man, not the other way around. Enjoy!

"Some folk may argue that six-string ukes sound more like guitars that "traditional" ukes, especially when tuned other than GCEA"

Not really arguable....I say so what? Sounds lovely and deep. How I tune my ukes or what strings I use is based on my tastes. Thanks for sharing your "experiments". I don't want all my ukes to sound the same anyway. Fun's fun! All that matters.

Top Bottom