Why more than one

3.5? Build in progress that accounts for the .5? Or a terrible accident that resulted in the loss of 1/2 of a ukulele? Or...?

Brings to mind that old song......."If you ........love........me........half as much.......
as I..........love you"

Brings to mind that old song......."If you ........love........me........half as much.......
as I..........love you"

Maybe that's it - Nickie only half loves one ukulele?
I'm guessing that it might be a shared ukulele, though?

I played for a year, only have three for now.
One soprano, one concert and one tenor.

How many ukuleles are enough?
Just one

... more!

That will always be true I guess.

At some point I plan on selling my soprano and getting a better quality concert or longneck soprano, thus not having a bigger number of ukes in total.
My fingers are simply too big for the soprano, so I would rather sell it to someone who would use it, but keep my entry level concert for a spare that I can take outdoors etc.

Oh man, just noticed your avatar and sig. Longtime bass slinger here, and I LOVE me some beautiful Rics. 4001s. Rule the world. What are you pushing those bass babies through?

Depends on the situation. I usually try and use my Ampeg Portaflex, it's small, portable and has that Ampeg growl. Sometimes I'll roll out a Tubeworks combo. If it's outdoors with questionable monitor capabilities I'll use either an old Randall solid-state guitar head or the Portaflex with a line out into an old Peavey CS800 driving some assorted 12 and 15 cabs.

The more the better. And you know, I learn something different from each ukulele.
Guitar players are the same. Look at the collections George Harrison had..... and what Clapton has too. George also supposedly had a uke in each room at his home, Friar Park. Of course, not many of us have 40+ room homes.

I guess I need to downsize to a five room house.

Started with a Kala soprano (now sold on) then bought a Brunswick BU5 baritone tuned GCEA (now with a low G) and then a Tom slimline tenor which I have just tuned DGBE. This gives me the ability to join in with most tunes - just pick up the most appropriate instrument for the occasion. I take the baritone to play with the Uke3A group and the tenor to play with the folk group. I also have two tenor banjos (one tuned GCEA and the other DGBE for the same reason) ukulele tuning!

For the record, I have two ukes.

I may already need an intervention. For all my talk of keeping things minimal and being satisfied with my "two ukes," when I take a real inventory, there are actually FIVE ukuleles under this roof with me (!)

My two recent acquisitions--my players--are my Gretsch soprano and Mitchell concert.

But I also have an old 1950s-60s era no-name soprano I've had for 15 years or so. It was flood damaged in 2010 and needs work to be playable again, but even though it's only been a wall-hanger for a long time, technically it counts.

Then I've got a cigar box uke a friend made me several years back. It is also more of a decoration, but it does play.

The same friend who made the cigar box uke also gifted me with an inexpensive baritone uke recently, though that has become my wife's instrument.

Still, gotta keep a lid on this!

For me it's because I don't want to take my Beau Hannam custom tenor to certain places like the beach so I also keep a second bang around Uke to take to the beach etc

I had two, when I received my HUNI concert I gave my Córdoba to my gf.

When I get back to the US next year I'll hunt a tenor and be back to two, ill be happy.

In my case I'm a bit older and don't need things so much to be happy.

A tenor and the HUNI concert will fill my needs...

I had only one uke for over 55 years.............and only knew one song. Then my interest piqued, I started buying ukes...quite a few, and now my memory is so bad that while I've played hundreds of songs, I still can only play the one by memory. :eek:ld:

Exactly, it has nothing to do with tuning.

For me, the tuning (not the tuning process) plays into the reason. Ever since I switched my tenor to fBbDG, I really like its sound, it's unlike my other ukuleles, as is the key. My smaller ukes use gCEA, and they have their own voice too, and are in the key of C. My baritone is now dGBE (yes, re-entrant, more on this later), and it also has a distinct sound, the key of G.

This is admittedly more variance than I'd ideally like (harder on my brain to remember where the notes are, which I want to be able to even if I play just by myself), but those are the tunings they sound best in to me, in my ears. Keeping three of those is an obvious choice, and I feel three is a good number, though one would be even better. Perhaps one day I'll be able to pick just one. :)

I'm just glad linear tuning doesn't do it for me, nor wound strings.

I've only been playing 3 weeks and I already have two! Both are Makalas: one pink, one steampunk and I love them both!

Here I am just brimming with knowledge after the google thingamajigarooey told me the meaning of "steampunk".
Wow I mean double wow wow. As my great grand daughter would say "totally Awesome".
"Far Out" is not really where it is at these days grandpappy. giggle.

Why not more than one? I have six. When I was playing trumpet on a regular basis I had five horns. There was a marvelous trumpeter named Lew Soloff who passed away last year. He's well known for having played with Blood, Sweat and Tears and many others. A story I heard is that he once brought 21 horns on an airplane as his carry on luggage!!!!!!

I'm just glad linear tuning doesn't do it for me, nor wound strings.

and i keep my baritone linear tuned at CFAD. Talk about mellow. I only pick with it, and it has its own set of sheet music.

Top Bottom