Grace VanderWaal - new ukulele playing star in the making.

Aw, she won! I thought she would. She does not seem to fit in with the Vegas crowd as much as The Clairvoyants, though.

My understanding from another site is that the winner only plays something like 3 days in Vegas, and not a regular Vegas show.
I'd agree that she's not a Vegas act, but hopefully she'll help interest lots of youngsters in ukulele!

Lots of controversy on social media. People saying she didn't deserve it etc. I'm very happy for her, and couldn't disagree with the naysayers more. She writes her own music, can sing, and plays an instrument. Thought it was well deserved.

Lots of controversy on social media. People saying she didn't deserve it etc. I'm very happy for her, and couldn't disagree with the naysayers more. She writes her own music, can sing, and plays an instrument. Thought it was well deserved.

I hope that she is up to handling all the negative comments. Hard for anyone, let alone someone so young. Many of the comments that I saw, though, seemed stuck on the Vegas act idea, (she's not the typical Vegas act), but if the Vegas part is really only 3 days, then it really doesn't matter. I bet that some of the others will get a Vegas contract, and Grace will move on to a recording career. I have mixed feelings about someone so young being in the spotlight like this, but hope that she can handle it.

But man, does the show have to be so dramatic? I thought Grace was going to have several heart attacks as they kept eliminating people. Goes to show why I never watch these things...)

Exactly...I taped it and will watch later, did she perform again? If not, I'll just erase it...

Exactly...I taped it and will watch later, did she perform again? If not, I'll just erase it...

Yes, she performed again. She's so good, but I also don't see her as an ongoing Vegas show. She will definitely have a career. I actually wasn't expecting her to win, I thought Lincoln Bridge had a good chance.

I expect to see uke sales rise as everyone tries to emulate her. :)

No, but seriously, I think uke sales will go up, especially in the U.S., on the back of her win, which can't be a bad thing, because it will give a more lasting exposure for our favourite four stringed friend.

My understanding from another site is that the winner only plays something like 3 days in Vegas, and not a regular Vegas show.
I'd agree that she's not a Vegas act, but hopefully she'll help interest lots of youngsters in ukulele!

Oh, well that's different. I thought it was like a year-long residency. That would be kind of crazy for a 12-year-old anyway, regardless of what kind of performer she is.

There were so many wonderful acts that made it to the final. I hope the exposure helps them get great gigs!

We loved it. My 7 year old has a Luna tattoo. She was super jazzed.

I predict she will be the next Taylor Swift. She has the same qualities: writes her own songs, has beauty and personality, can sing and play an instrument.

The popularity of the ukulele ebbs-and-flows. This should in theory give it another rise, after it kind of dipped recently.
That's good news for this forum.

I expect to see uke sales rise as everyone tries to emulate her. :)

No, but seriously, I think uke sales will go up, especially in the U.S., on the back of her win, which can't be a bad thing, because it will give a more lasting exposure for our favourite four stringed friend.

I predict she will be the next Taylor Swift. She has the same qualities: writes her own songs, has beauty and personality, can sing and play an instrument.

I'd rather see her being the next ukulele playing Sheryl Crow...

Suppose she'll transition to guitar?

She should come out with a "Gracelele"....might sell a bunch.

Agreed. She needs to develop an elaborate signature so it can be printed on it. Price point at about 149.00 would be ideal.

I suspect she will be shopping for some more ukes after winning that million bucks.

Agreed. She needs to develop an elaborate signature so it can be printed on it. Price point at about 149.00 would be ideal.

I suspect she will be shopping for some more ukes after winning that million bucks.

I figure most ukulele companies will be sending her free ones. And which company will sponsor her? Or has Kala already done so?

Good for her.

I think it's possible she's a child prodigy. I hope that they let her be a kid, and let her finish school with her friends. Rushing a child to stardom can be very harmful, as we all know.
And yes, she needs a good voice coach. Singing while untrained can cause permanent damage.
I think for now, she's great for the ukulele biz. I hope the biz will be good for her.

I think it's possible she's a child prodigy. I hope that they let her be a kid, and let her finish school with her friends. Rushing a child to stardom can be very harmful, as we all know.
And yes, she needs a good voice coach. Singing while untrained can cause permanent damage.
I think for now, she's great for the ukulele biz. I hope the biz will be good for her.

Yes! I already heard her talking about online school! She's 12, she should finish school where she is and play and write and have fun!

Yes! I already heard her talking about online school! She's 12, she should finish school where she is and play and write and have fun!

She's probably under contract now, and has lost that option. That's one reason I hate when someone that young goes on those shows, (and in this case, wins.) Hopefully, she has a very supportive, stable family who can help her through all the upheaval she's about to experience.

Top Bottom