improving technique

Funny and so true. I had been beating myself up about not progressing lately. I was playing a lot but practicing very little. After playing for about 5 years, I've plateaued at what I'd consider to be early intermediate. Well, I finally decided to do something about it and realized that maybe I need a more structured approach. I'm now doing Hill's, The Ukulele Way. We will see...

For me it isn't about not improving, it is about not growing. Sometimes I realize that I'm just doing the same old things all the time and not learning anything new. The things that I do, I do well enough, but I just keep practicing them. Seriously, you gotta keep moving on or you end up spinning the wheels.

I have been a strummer for a long time. I consider myself an advanced intermediate player. I can play up and down the neck and I have a reasonable catalogue of tunes I can play and sing off by heart. Over the last few months I decided to stretch myself and start playing more complex chord melodies and finger picking styles.
I have learnt a lot more these last months than I have previously. Instead of looking up chords I do not know, I discovered that picking out a melody on the A & E strings then poodling around finding left hand positions that sound right I can play tunes purely by ear.
I do not know the names of all the chord positions I play but they fit and I am no longer bound by pieces of paper.
The other "trick" I have stumbled on is, that most chord sequences follow a pattern up and down the neck so it is simpler to move around in these patterns and nine times out of ten the notes I want are in these patterns.

Top Bottom