Shiny to satin

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
My Uke used to have a satin finish but over the years I have regrettably used a cloth and spray polish. I now want to take it back to satin.How do I get it back to satin.
Thanks Phil.

You haven't said what the finish is, but with most finishes you would be able to use 0000 grade steel wool (super fine) and burnish it up. Perhaps a bit of hard paste wax on the steel wool as you do this.

You haven't said what the finish is, but with most finishes you would be able to use 0000 grade steel wool (super fine) and burnish it up. Perhaps a bit of hard paste wax on the steel wool as you do this.

Sorry it was a satin finish to start with. Wont the paste wax make it shiny again?

Although I've not got a great deal of experience with finishing, I have found that using a wax with the 0000 wool evens it out, whereas 0000 wool alone can give an uneven patchy look if not done properly. The wax does shine up a bit, but it's a compromise. Experiment and see what you think. Incidentally, i used Renaissance Wax and 0000 wool to finish my first ( and only uke build to date), which resulted in a silky finish.

There is a product called "Wool Lube" made by Behlen I believe. When used on nitro lacquer that has been sanded back with 600 grit wet and dry, it gives a smooth stain, silky finish which is what I prefer to high gloss. Just dip the 0000 steel wool into the lube and rub with the grain and wipe clean with flannel and you're done.

Top Bottom