Season 227 - Let's Make a Better World

Man's inhumanity to man... the class system that separates us.
Religion and power structures that abuse us. Rights and privileges
denied because of our social station. Robert Burns was writing about
it 300 years ago. Everything changes but everything stays the same.
In essence the poem is a plea for honesty, good sense, worthiness
and the hope that a brotherhood of man could exist.

Commentary:
In Verse One, Burns is saying that wealth, or lack of it,and social class should
not be the measure of a man's true worth. " The rank is but the guinea's stamp"
means that a person cannot be given a price. The man's character is the true gold.

Verse Two continues the theme. We may wear ordinary clothes, and eat simple food,
but appearance is just a show, like tinsel. Honesty is worth more than fancy clothes.

Now Verse Three might have got Burns into some trouble in Edinburgh. The birkie (cool young guy)
who struts around, and has the title of Lord, is only a coof (an idiot). The man who learns to think
for himself is worth much more than that.

Verse Four continues this theme. Princes can hand out titles at will, but honesty and pure goodness
are worth much more. Self respect doesn't come from inherited wealth or titles.

Verse Five is a prayer that Sense and Worth shall eventually agree with all mankind.
Burns imagines a future world in which all people will live as brothers, in mutual trust
and respect. "It's coming yet, for a' that". Well, it hasn't come yet Rabbie, but we live in hope.

Last edited:
"Ukulele in Your Hands" - original recipe for peace and love in the world

As Tiny Tim says (the other Tiny Tim), God bless us, everyone.

Here's my original recipe for peace and love in the world - written a year and a half ago for Dan Bonesoup's "hands and feet" week (153).

I don't often like to redo a song I've done for an earlier Season, but I was at a music party last night when I looked up the theme. I was reminded of this song, and played it for the folks there ... and they said I had to!

Because ... well ... verse 3.

Love and blessings to all.

Last edited:
Wow! I posted 40 minutes into the Season, and I am the 7th video on the playlist. Clearly we needed this theme!

Good call, Geoff.

Wow. Just checked in before going to an open mic and there's all this activity so far. I can see I might be in for a busy week. I'm thinking I might break my golden rule and use a cheat sheet this aft and sing Wonderful World.

BTW, if you're not sure if your chosen song fits, remember the Thornton Rule. Post it anyway. Everything is good.

I thought someone would have posted this one by now, so I'll break the seal.

What a great theme, Geoff (even though I've said that before).

I was in two minds about this one - some of the lyrics are almost as sugary as the drink the song was used to advertise - but you can't deny its heart is in the right place.

Probably my only entry this week, as I am off to the Glastonbury Festival, where peace and love overflows.

Great theme Toots! Living in Orlando, my hometown, I have been in the thick of things and we have been through so much this week. It has been so sad and emotional this week. The whole city feels such a sense of loss that it is indescribable. But it has also been inspiring to come together at the vigils and funerals and memorials and the Orlando City soccer game last night and be united - hugging perfect strangers and being there for each other. It also has been touching to see the response from people all over the world offering support and love. I don't know if I can emotionally post an entry this week, but I will take comfort in watching everyone else's videos. Again, thanks for this theme.

I'm throwing this one in as a bonus. I did it back in Season 170, but it didn't get as many listens as I think the song deserves, given that it is my most pathologically optimistic song!

Here is "The Far Horizon Line"

I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free

Fortuitously, I bought the sheet music for this one in a charity shop only last weekend. Viewers in the UK will probably know it best as the theme music for the TV programme "Film 80" with Barry Norman, although it's been recorded by umpteen artists over the years, and now me!

I'm reposting this one that I did for Season 215 as I think the message is also relevant to the present season. The original song was by Burns. If you not listened to WGY's rendering of A Man's A Man for A' That, I recommend you do. Burns has hit the nail firmly and squarely on the head.

I've listened to all the videos up to here but I need to go back and add them to the playlist.

Sneaky double post alert!

We did this for last season, but it works great for this one, too, so we are posting it in both at the same time. Many thanks to Janet for the help tabbing out Tiffany's uke solo. We had hoped to redo the recording to get it a little bit more polished today, but I've lost my voice, so this will have to do.

Sneaky double post alert!

We did this for last season, but it works great for this one, too, so we are posting it in both at the same time. Many thanks to Janet for the help tabbing out Tiffany's uke solo. We had hoped to redo the recording to get it a little bit more polished today, but I've lost my voice, so this will have to do.

Harry has requested that I pick one season or the other, so I'll put this in last season. Please disregard for this season.

Top Bottom