Season 227 - Let's Make a Better World

I've commented on and added to the playlist up to about halfway down Page 4. If your song has a You Tube comment but is not on the playlist, let me know.

I'm just going to make comments on You Tube but I will let you know on the thread which videos I've listened to and make general comments.

So far I've watched.

Big Daddy Uker - Peace Train & Simple Song of Freedom
PaBrizzer - Better Way & Beautiful World.
Greenie44 - As
Weegingayin - A man's a man & Put a little love in your heart
Uke Can 1 - Put a ukulele in your hands.
Hendulele - Ripple & Teach Your Children
Harry122 - All You Need is Love
YorkSteve - I'd like to teach the world to sing.
BEV - The future part 1
Barbablanca - Far horizon line
Jim Avery - I wish I knew how it feels to be free
IamNoMan - We shall overcome.

I'll try and get round to listening more later today but I'm out over dinner time and this evening so it may be tomorrow before I can add more comments.

So far I've both enjoyed the selection of songs which has been great and also the performances.

I was going to take a break this week but the theme is so powerful I felt obliged to join in, thanks Geoff. This is one take with an additional vocal overdub, it is what it is, the message is the important thing anyway.

Here's my $.02

"Spread a Little Happiness" (1929) - definitely sentiments aimed at making a better world; but I'm afraid I got rather bogged down in trying to recreate the original recording by Binnie Hale.

Last edited:
These two go back to back, one to represent as a homage for those who have lost (in the most recent times as well as prior), and the other to represent the pride to move onward with love in our hearts. (note: the first song has no picture cause I forgot to remove blockage from my phone before I recorded, but I like the bit too much and I can't play the same thing twice)

Outstanding theme this week. Here is a sort of mashup of two of my favorite George Harrison songs: Isn't It A Pity and Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth). George is the primary reason I ever picked up a uke.

The Vaughan Brothers' "Tick Tock"

I'm probably going to regret posting this one in the morning, because there are plenty of mistakes, but I like the groove.

In 1990, Stevie Ray and Jimmy Vaughan released the only Vaughan Brothers album. It came out shortly after Stevie Ray died. I don't really remember anything from the album except for this song, written by Jimmy, Jerry Lynn Williams, and producer Nile Rodgers, and it's been in the back of my head ever since. I've made a few attempts at learning it in the past couple of years, but this is the furthest I've gotten. I just love the D6's and Dmaj7's.

It's a hopeful song, but that hope is leavened by the "tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock people, time's ticking away" refrain.

- FiL

Greetings,

Had some time before graduation, so I picked this song because it speaks about peace and love. It also speaks to me about life, and being happy (for whatever that means to each and everyone of us). Who would have thought that Ringo Star lyrics could have such meaning. "It Don't Come Easy" cover.

Have fun!
Ciao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jQg1oyJwNo

I've caught up with all the entries so far (I hope I've not missed any). Comments are all on You Tube and you should have been added to the playlist. If your name's below, you should be on the playlist. Let me know if I've missed you off the playlist or not added a comment.

Pabrizzer - What's so Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding
Dougf - Some Kind of Miracle
RobinBoyd - Rhyme and Reason
BoneSoup - Invincible
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke - The Only Antidote
NotAnotherLinda - Imagine
cua64 - Blowing in the Wind
LimousinLil - Spread a Little Happiness
Jazzbanjorex - It's a small world & Bring me Sunshine
RalDel67 - Stones, Flowers and Tears & American Hearts
AlanDP - Brothers in Arms
TomcatWombat - Isn't it a Pity/Give me Love
FIL - Tick Tock
Ginas Uke - It Don't Come Easy

There's a interesting selection of songs and a variety of interpretations of the theme. I've enjoyed listening to them all. Keep your entries coming. If I'm able to keep up I might be opening up the number of entries permitted but not just yet. I'll see how things go over the next day or so. I'm also still waiting entries from some of our regulars and I'm hopeful you're preparing something absolutely stunning for us all.

This is a song that I have wanted to do for a long time, but it is taxing on the vocal part. And my uke has some issues with being in tune these days, I need to replace the strings I guess. So I added some effects to make it a bit better in my opinion. I think the line Only love can heal such a scar makes this a Magnificently positive song, or else I'm invoking a Thornton rule here ;).

Waiting on a sunny day

Live & uploaded direct from the venue.

Seems there was a glitch in the link. Fixed now.

Last edited:

Top Bottom