Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 227 - Let's Make a Better World

Man's inhumanity to man... the class system that separates us.
    Religion and power structures that abuse us. Rights and privileges
    denied because of our social station. Robert Burns was writing about
    it 300 years ago. Everything changes but everything stays the same.
    In essence the poem is a plea for honesty, good sense, worthiness
    and the hope that a brotherhood of man could exist.

Commentary:
    In Verse One, Burns is saying that wealth, or lack of it,and social class should
    not be the measure of a man's true worth. " The rank is but the guinea's stamp"
    means that a person cannot be given a price. The man's character is the true gold.

Verse Two continues the theme. We may wear ordinary clothes, and eat simple food,
    but appearance is just a show, like tinsel. Honesty is worth more than fancy clothes.

Now Verse Three might have got Burns into some trouble in Edinburgh. The birkie (cool young guy)
    who struts around, and has the title of Lord, is only a coof (an idiot). The man who learns to think
    for himself is worth much more than that.

Verse Four continues this theme. Princes can hand out titles at will, but honesty and pure goodness
    are worth much more. Self respect doesn't come from inherited wealth or titles.

Verse Five is a prayer that Sense and Worth shall eventually agree with all mankind.
    Burns imagines a future world in which all people will live as brothers, in mutual trust
    and respect. "It's coming yet, for a' that". Well, it hasn't come yet Rabbie, but we live in hope.
    Last edited by wee_ginga_yin; 06-19-2016 at 01:33 AM.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Default "Ukulele in Your Hands" - original recipe for peace and love in the world

As Tiny Tim says (the other Tiny Tim), God bless us, everyone.

Here's my original recipe for peace and love in the world - written a year and a half ago for Dan Bonesoup's "hands and feet" week (153).

I don't often like to redo a song I've done for an earlier Season, but I was at a music party last night when I looked up the theme. I was reminded of this song, and played it for the folks there ... and they said I had to!

Because ... well ... verse 3.

Love and blessings to all.

Last edited by UkeCan1; 06-19-2016 at 02:24 AM.
    Wendy -- UkeCan1 of Uke Can Play Too!
    YouTube:
    Uke Can 1 | Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist
    Facebook: Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist Revolution

Ukes:
    Tiki Uki = soprano Tiki Flea, Epi Leadshredder = Les Paul Epiphone concert
    Pocky = Kala Pocket Uke sopranissimo, Chili = Mainland soprano Chili Pepper Uke
    Minnie (hot pink, "Happy to Be Me!), Mickey (bright blue), and Sophia (lavender) First Act "mini guitars"

If you're a Seasonista, come join the Seasonista Facebook group! (PM me)
    If you're not (YET!), come play with us in the Seasons of the Ukulele ... it's easy and fun

Wow! I posted 40 minutes into the Season, and I am the 7th video on the playlist. Clearly we needed this theme!

Good call, Geoff.
    Wendy -- UkeCan1 of Uke Can Play Too!
    YouTube:
    Uke Can 1 | Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist
    Facebook: Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist Revolution

Ukes:
    Tiki Uki = soprano Tiki Flea, Epi Leadshredder = Les Paul Epiphone concert
    Pocky = Kala Pocket Uke sopranissimo, Chili = Mainland soprano Chili Pepper Uke
    Minnie (hot pink, "Happy to Be Me!), Mickey (bright blue), and Sophia (lavender) First Act "mini guitars"

If you're a Seasonista, come join the Seasonista Facebook group! (PM me)
    If you're not (YET!), come play with us in the Seasons of the Ukulele ... it's easy and fun

From "American Beauty."

KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano • Fluke natural concert <BG> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Koa soprano Flea • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Wow. Just checked in before going to an open mic and there's all this activity so far. I can see I might be in for a busy week. I'm thinking I might break my golden rule and use a cheat sheet this aft and sing Wonderful World.

BTW, if you're not sure if your chosen song fits, remember the Thornton Rule. Post it anyway. Everything is good.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

I thought someone would have posted this one by now, so I'll break the seal.

What a great theme, Geoff (even though I've said that before).
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano • Fluke natural concert <BG> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Koa soprano Flea • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I thought I'd try this Beatles classic. It's a good message.

Randy - Harry122

I was in two minds about this one - some of the lyrics are almost as sugary as the drink the song was used to advertise - but you can't deny its heart is in the right place.

Probably my only entry this week, as I am off to the Glastonbury Festival, where peace and love overflows.
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

the future part 1

by schiller

Great theme Toots! Living in Orlando, my hometown, I have been in the thick of things and we have been through so much this week. It has been so sad and emotional this week. The whole city feels such a sense of loss that it is indescribable. But it has also been inspiring to come together at the vigils and funerals and memorials and the Orlando City soccer game last night and be united - hugging perfect strangers and being there for each other. It also has been touching to see the response from people all over the world offering support and love. I don't know if I can emotionally post an entry this week, but I will take comfort in watching everyone else's videos. Again, thanks for this theme.
    There's plenty more where this came from! Check me out and subscribe!
    Youtube Channel

Thread Information