Season 227 - Let's Make a Better World

John Denver closed his shows with this poem. It is called the "Peace" poem.

If you listen to nothing else this week, listen to this!

"Peace Poem"
There's a name for war and killing
there's a name for giving in
when you know another answer
for me the name is sin
but there's still time to turn around
and make all hatred cease
and give another name to living
and we could call it peace

And peace would be the road we walk
each step along the way
and peace would be the way we work
and peace the way we play

And in all we see that's different
and in all the things we know
peace would be the way we look
and peace the way we grow

There's a name for separation
there's a name for first and last
when it's all for us or nothing
for me the name is past
but there's still time to turn around
and give a name to all the future
and we could call it peace

And if peace is what we pray for
and peace is what we give
then peace will be the way we are
and peace the way we live

Yes there still is the time to turn around
and give another name to living
and we can call it peace

You may think I have A Hole in My Head; but I believe that high aspirations and Positive Thinking can solve many of the World's Problems and make it a nicer place to live.

I forgot to change the title page to 227 for "Let's Make a Better World" Season. I was going to do this for 'Time Season'. Ah well, in a better world, I would have remembered!! Lol :) Billy Gilman wrote this tune quite a while ago. I'm not sure how old he was but...very, very young, like 10 or something! Amazing young singer, now all grown up. Has a new song out too :) I could not find the right key for me to sing this in. His original here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvR6UG0wQEA

Love And Mercy

This is a very inspiring week. Such a great theme brought by Tootler. It inspired me to emulate some videos I saw of people being kind and helping others. It wasn't much but I purchased some gift cards ($5)and passed them out in the waterfront area of Portland. I couldn't afford much but it was amazing to see the looks on the people's faces as I gave them this humble hand up. The other part is that I first heard this song on Saturday night, only listened to it once then found the chords online and recorded the song in two takes. It's such a great message of love, mercy and kindness. I hope you enjoy this.

The kindness footage is from here

Somewhere by Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim, from musical West Side Story (1957). Now almost 60 years later we're still halfway there...

Season 227. Submission 1 "Get Together" words and music by Chet Powers (aka Dino Valenti)
This song first charted in the US under this title, performed by the Youngbloods (1967).
It charted in the UK in 1970, performed by The Dave Clark Five, as "Everybody Get Together."
The Kingston Trio and Big Mountain have also performed the song.

In this video are photographs of some of my paintings. Because art can bring us together. Art can make this world a better place.

Geoff, thank you for this wonderful theme and your hosting of the season.

Last edited:
It's my second trip to the seasons and this time, I am contributing Let It Be. A wonderful tune by the Beatles and a song that to me, captures the spirit of the season. I hope you enjoy it.

Another batch of listening done. Once again some lovely songs. The entries listed below should be on the playlist. Once again, if I've missed you out in some way, please let me know - by PM for preference.

Xommen - Magnificent
Redpaul101 - Waiting on a Sunny Day
AlanDP - One Day
Lelouden - Peace & Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
IamNoMan - High Hopes
BirdsEyeOfMyUke - Fight Wars Not War
AlanDP - Gimme Peace
29Moons - Love and Mercy
Kolibri - Somewhere
uke1950 - We Shall Overcome
Turtledrum - Get Together

Kermit sang this song when he was dreaming of the other side of the rainbow - it was his longing to be an entertainer and bring joy into peoples' lives that drove this film. So maybe it fits that way, or maybe a bit of Thornton rule here?

The song is also personally important to me. My daughter was born a few days early, and she was in the NICU for a week. I sang this song to her because it's a kid-friendly song and I knew the words, having played it in a band. Once things settled down I transposed it down to G, a more friendly key for my voice and for the ukulele.

My City Of Ruins

It felt like this song had to be done this week. Written by Mr. Bruce Springsteen. Thanks for the theme and the opportunity to play this one Geoff. I hope you enjoy it.

Sit Down

It's been a while since I entered the Seasons but this week's well chosen theme inspired me to pop in and record a version of James' "Sit Down". Peace, love and ukulele Seasonistas, sit down next to me.

Season 227. Submission 2 "A Time For Us" words and music by Larry Kusic, Eddie Snyder and Nino Rota

This song (Rota's music arranged by Henry Mancini) from Franco Zeffirelli's film "Romeo and Juliet" charted #1 in US in

Last edited:
Top Bottom