Season 227 - Let's Make a Better World

we went to the zoo the other day and fell in love with these beautiful pygmy hippos...

Last edited:

I had the chorus stuck in my head and misremembered that this song was about an awkward moment between two strangers. I'm submitting it anyway (Thornton Rule!), and I have a second cover going up this weekend that's more traditionally suited to this theme.

Caught up on Listening again. Yesterday was busy and between having to take my daughter to the train and choir practice I've only just got around to listening to the most recent entries.

These should all be on the playlist. PM me if I've missed anything.

Big Phil - Let it Be
Linear - The Rainbow Connection
Harry122 - We shall be free
Greenie44 - My City of Ruins
Mikef - Sit Down
uke1950 - What a Wonderful World & If I had a hammer
Turtledrum - A Time For Us
bonesigh - I believe
Two Little Woodpeckers - underwater ballerinas
Demimondaine - Elevator Operator

SOTU 227: HOPE FOR THE LIGHT - Original Song

Recently; since Season 225, I have been trying to focus on trying to write an original song to meet the themes. Geoff's theme for 227 permitted a wide range of possibilities, but like him, I was once again abhorred by the shootings and murders that recently took place. I found it nearly impossible to try and write a happy or joyful song to help make a better world. After this one, I will post the final result of what was the first song I attempted, which I titled "Second Amendment Blues." It probably won't fit the theme and may need to go to the Island, but for now I'd like to share my second attempt at an original song for 227. It is entitled, "HOPE FOR THE LIGHT," or what I like to call my "Yin-Yang Song." It is a reflection on my exasperations of trying to write a happy or joyful song after deliberating on so many recent killings.

It may not make a better world, but I hope you find it at least thought provoking:

Songchart:
++++++++++++++++++++
{title: HOPE FOR THE LIGHT - ddanner (2016)}
{subtitle: The Yin Yang Song}
#File created: 06.22.2016 by Dennis Danner
{time:3:30}

Intro:

[D] //// [Bm] //// [D] //// [Bm] ////

I [D]needed to write a [Bm]song today, to [D]see if I could [Bm]find a way
To [A]make this world a [G]little better [D]pla - ce . . [D]

A [D]place where hate is no [Bm]longer found,
A [D]place where only [Bm]joy abounds.
A [A]place of love [G] and hap - pi - [D]ness . . . [D]

{soc}
[D]Why can't I [Bm]write . . [D] a song of [Bm]hope
about a [A]world filled with [G]love and [D] joy? . . . [D]
[D]Must there al - ways [Bm]be the dark, to [A]make us . . [G] hope for the [D] light? . . . [D]
{eoc}

Break:
[D]//// [Bm]//// [D]//// [Bm]////
[A]//// [G]//// [D]//// [D]////
[A]//// [G]//// [D]//// [D]////

{soc}
To [D]taste . . of [Bm]love, must we [D]first . . taste [Bm]hate? .
Must we [A]be blind, be - [G]fore we can [D]se-ee? . . . [D]
[D]Must there al - ways [Bm] be the dark, to [A]make us . . [G] hope for the [D] light? . . . [D]
{eoc}

A [D]place of light that is [Bm]never dark . . .
A [D]place where happiness [Bm]finds its mark . . .
A [A]place with only [G]songs of [D]joy . . . [D]

{soc}
[D]Why . can't I [Bm]sing . . . [D] a song of [Bm]hope
about a [A]world filled with [G]love . . and [D] joy? . . . [D]
[D]Must there al - ways [Bm] be the dark, to [A]make us . . [G]hope for the [D]light? . . . [D]
{eoc}

[D]How did we get in [Bm]such a mess,
[D]All this hate and [Bm]bitterness?
[A]Is this where [G]hope springs to [D]li - ife? . . [D]

[D]if you find that [Bm]life is dark,
[D]Things get better [Bm]with a spark.
A [A]tiny spark of [G] hope for the [D]li-ght . . [D]

Outro:
[A] Keep a spark of [G] hope for the [D]li-ght . . [D]
A [A]blinding spark of [G] hope for the [D]li-ght . . [D]~

Last edited:
Geoff's Theme is titled, "Let's Make A Better World." And, he said: "Record a song that promotes a positive view of our future, one that suggests we can make the world a better place." An earlier version of this song was actually my first attempt to meet the theme, but trying to write lyrics to convey a message of needed gun regulations into a promotion of a happier world proved to be rather confusing. The results were extremely unclear whether the song was anti or pro gun. It was neither!

Setting it aside and doing a different song permitted me to return to this first attempt without worrying about whether it met the theme or not. As a consequence, I was able to finally get it done also, and I think the message it now contains is quite clear.

This song by no means "promotes a positive view," but if it might help in any small way contribute to legislative restrictions on assault weapons it could definitey help "make the world a better place."

I neither like, love, nor hate guns. I own guns, and I have used guns. I DO very much respect guns and their capabilities.

Here is my second original song for SOTU 227 entitled, "The Second Amendment Blues." Let me know Geoff, if this is too far off target to be here on the theme's thread, and I will move it to the Island.

Songchart:
++++++++++++++++

{title: SECOND AMMENDMENT BLUES}
{subtitle: ddanner - 2016}
#File created: 06.18-19.2016 by Dennis Danner
#Last edited: 06.23.2016
{time:3:10}

Intro:

[Dm]//// [Dm]//// [A7]//// [A7]//// [Dm]//// [Dm]////

Verse 1:
I [Dm]Took a look on the [Dm]Net today, to [Dm] See just what there [Dm]was to say
[G7] EIGHT little girls in a [G7]One room school, a [Dm]Man with a Gun, [Dm]Nobody's Fool,
With a [A7]GUN . . . [A7] . . . . his brand new [Dm]GUN . . . [Dm]////

Verse 2:
[Dm] Turned on the T. V. to [Dm] Catch some news, [Dm] all I heard was [Dm]Second Ammendment Blues
[G7] Nine more people were [G7] Killed today, [Dm] In the Church where they [Dm] Bowed to prey.
Can't you [A7]guess? . . . [A7] Another brand new [Dm]GUN . . . [Dm]////

Verse 3:
At [Dm]PULSE down in [Dm]ORLANDO, [Dm] FORTY NINE were killed just a [Dm]WEEK ago.
In [G7]SANDY HOOK it was [G7] TWENTY and SIX. [Dm]What if your child, [Dm]is the next.
[A7]Buy a Larger Bore, and a [A7] Bigger Clip, for your [Dm]GUN . . . [Dm]////

Break:
[Dm]//// [Dm]//// [Dm]//// [Dm]////
[G7]//// [G7]//// [Dm]//// [Dm]////
[A7]//// [A7]//// [Dm]//// [Dm]////

Verse 4:
[Dm] I've got the [Dm] Second Amendment Blues, [Dm]worryin' 'bout what [Dm]YOU might do.
[G7] You can buy every [G7] thing in Sight [Dm] No matter how many ya [Dm] Need to Fight.
[A7] Bright and Shiny, or [A7]Camouflaged, buy more [Dm]GUNS . . . [Dm]////

Verse 5:
[Dm] GUNS don't Kill [Dm]People, they say. [Dm] Only People kill [Dm]People this way,
[G7] Tomorrow they might [G7]Take 'em away, at [Dm]Least that's what I [Dm]Hear YOU say
To [A7]try and Scare me to [A7]Vote your way, and Buy more [Dm]GUNS! . . . [Dm]////

Verse 6:
The [Dm]Lobbyist say don't [Dm]REGulate. [Dm] It's the very first step to [Dm] CONfiscate.
You [G7] Cannot Trust your [G7] Government. To [Dm] Do what they Say, or [Dm] Say what they Meant.
[A7] Hold your Guns Tight 'n [A7] Buy more now, [Dm] no matter how many [Dm] Get Cut Down.

Outro:
With your [Dm]GUNS! . . . [Dm] . Your Brand New [Dm] Guns . . . [Dm] . Your Brand New [Dm]^ GUNS!

Last edited:
In a better world, all LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queer) people would get...

And none of them would live in fear. Respect, pride, love, & peace!

Thanks, Geoff, for the chance to meditate on better times during these sorrowful days, and for the reminder that each one of us can do something to work toward a better future for all. <3

"Life laughs at you when you are unhappy. Life smiles at you when you are happy. But Life salutes when you make others Happy" - Charlie Chaplin

I just started a new job, and I had to hit the ground running. I'm looking forward to watching all these videos today.

Feeling very Rusty this week, down with the dreaded lurgi...

However, managed to croak this one out

Hi all, sorry I've not posted for a very long time. At the time I joined the Seasons I had ruptured my achilles tendon fully and couldn't walk at all for months and then had to wear one of those massive heavy 'space boots', then (and still physio) thereafter. Getting better meant suddenly getting back to real life and commitments and catching up and not so much ukulele time. Anyway, I finally managed to make a recording again. Decided on Happy Talk from the musical South Pacific, because I thought the lyrics were appropriate about talking to one another and that you've got to have a dream to make a dream come true.

More videos and more comments. All comments on You Tube

If I've missed you please PM me

ddanner - Hope for the Light & 2nd Amendment Blues
The Only Uke That Matters - Give a Little Respect
Ginas Uke - I Hope You Dance
IamNoMan - Smile
decaturcomp - Happiness Runs
Redpaul101 - Spiritual Healing
Rustyy - One Love
Car singer - Happy Talk

I also added tribute to Butterfly Bandito to the play list.

Scandinavian input

I am sorry, but this week I bring a subtitled song.

This norwegian song for peace is very popular in Denmark, and is commonly sung at various events where a peace-song is called for.

In my attempt at it, I sing it in danish. The words are pretty much the same with another pronounciation.

Youtube is not really cooperating with me on this. For the first many videos I uploaded, I had the option of the first frame for thumbnail.
Not anymore, pretty annoying.

I can't seem to shake this lurgy this week, so I might not be able to do the songs I had planned. I'd be very disappointed if Pa or Rustyy didn't do "From Little Things Big Things Grow" though. I was hoping to do that one, but I'm pretty sure I won't make it now.

Top Bottom