A tricky rosette

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
The method for routing this accurately took a while to work out... you could hand inlay it but i wanted to reproduce this shape again.

The inner cut was made with the usual rosette cutter (as its a perfect circle)
The outer cut of the spiral needed some thinking- find a pic of a spiral, photoshop, enlarging, reduce, print, repeat, glue to 1/4 mdf, test cut, repeat ARGH. . .!!

Worth it though

Dark to Light mosaic with coloured purfling lines and paua (dark blue, pink and light green), white and Gold MOP dots all in a beautiful redwood top.
Woods used are:
BRW (Dark bits and red bits fading to green)
Ebony
Cocobolo
Bloodwood
Snakewood
Pernambuco
Tulip Satin Wood
Koa (dark fading to white sapwood)
Recon Stone
Maple
Buck eye Burl

13432287_1030063597082353_3519604548122279935_n.jpg

Last edited:
:worship: :bowdown: :worship:

As amazing as the spiral technique was to conquer, I want to say that the sense of color and texture in moving from "dark to light" is wonderful. I am so happy and excited about the way Beau is pulling all the elements together on this uke.

Very, very nice. A real stunner rosette Beau. Sure I get how you worked out the spiral, but how did you eventually cut it in? Surely not an exacto knife and chisel? Do tell.

That is super cool Beau!
I have admired your work from afar for quite some time.
I hope to have the chance to play one of your instruments in the future.
Keep up the GREAT work!

The hard part (for me anyway) was cutting the rosette "blank" with the "outside" cut, then figuring out how to cut out the rosette channel in the top a purfling line wider cut.

I echo what others have said. A tremendous effort of skill and talent combined to produce a unique piece of art!

Bob

Holy Cow....I don't know what else to say....

Top Bottom