Martin OXK versus OX Bamboo

the new one sounds a little bit brigher than the oxk? I'm always wondering if i should sell my oxk but whenever I pick it up I'm impressed by the sound I get out of it.

the bamboo sounds louder, brighter, and seems to have better note separation (note clarity)

THANKS for sharing ! :)

how is the action / string-height between the two? I found the OXK I had was a little bit high for my liking.

Wondered why Martin just didn't make a solid bamboo ukulele. Never been a fan of HPL. I have posed that question to Martin customer service as well as why they don't make a mahogany soprano in Nazareth at a $1k price point.

Based on conversations I've had with friends at the Martin factory over the years, even a simple style 0 soprano built in Nazareth would end up with an MSRP in the $1500 neighborhood. The consensus has long been that a Nazareth built style 0 with a street price of more than double that of a vintage example would simply not sell well enough to put into production.

Scooter

On another note. ;)

Bonanza ukuleles can be built in any color HPL that wilsonart.com sells. http://www.bonanzaukuleles.com/shop.html

http://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/design-library

They sound very nice they are built in the USA and can be built in a number of different sizes and shapes unlike the Martin.

$259.00–$394.00

I do not work for them and I'm getting no compensation or recognition for plugging them here, just spreading the word. I do want one someday but I have too many ukuleles at the moment and I'm putting too much money into my 95 Mustang GT to get one at this time.

~AL~

the action was too high I had to reset it on saddle and nut on the OX Bamboo ... not on the OXK (bone saddle and nut)

Hi folks !
I had weigh the ukes ...
old OXK : 450 grams
new OXK 420 grams
OX Bamboo 420 grams
(what you ear in the video it's the old oxK...)

how is the action / string-height between the two? I found the OXK I had was a little bit high for my liking.

I love my OXK, non bamboo. But as mentioned above, I had to shave a lot off the saddle.

For me it's a great travel instrument!!

yes the best on the beach
IMG_4447.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4447.jpg
    IMG_4447.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 41
Wow! Thanks Renaud!

Not at home but will check out the vid tomorrow and comment.

Petey

Merci. Enjoyed the mini review (since I do speak French up here in Canada). hehe

I actually preferred the bright sound of the Bamboo uke. I used to have an OXK and I gave it away to a friend since I had too many other Martin sopranos. The OXK is a great uke and I certainly composed songs on it!

Petey

I'd imagine any difference in sound between a 0XK and a 0X Bamboo would come down to differences between individual instruments.

Yes i dug to ! But I think the Martin Co could try a lot of motif with HPL !

Last edited:
Top Bottom