Print patterns on straps- VOTE

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am going to test out some prints for my half inch wide Uke Leash straps, and would like to see what you like before I spend the money on new original prints. Let me know if you like any of these, or if you have any suggestions for prints or colors. Remember, it should work for a half inch wide strap.

Thanks,
Lori

Attachments

• webbing-design-ideas5-2016.jpg
    webbing-design-ideas5-2016.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 80
Of those pictured, I like the brown with green and black triangles and the blue with lines and dots. I also like stripes that go perpendicular to the length of the strap, don't care for animal-themed straps, but star patterns are alright. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I love my uke leash!

I like the 5-series the most. The lines look like 4 strings, and then the 4-dots look either like Braille or other representation of finger positions, and as such is related to the uke. If they are braille, that is good too since it is also something tactile, involving and read with your fingertips. (My best friend's daughter is blind - otherwise I might not have thought of this)

5A and 5C being preferred as I'm not into brighter or bolder colors for myself for a strap.

Also, this pattern could be stamped or embossed onto the leather straps, or even heat-branded into the leather, but not sure you want to get that fancy. Sort of as a 'relief' if you know what I mean.

However, I am not opposed to the other patterns at all. I like simple geometric shapes and also stay away from animal graphics.

Last edited:
For myself, I'm not overly fond of any of them. I'm just fine with the solid colors. Now if you had skulls or flames or something, I'm in. :rock: (joking - mostly:p )

I like 3a, 4a, and 5c the best.
Thanks Zagabog, very helpful feedback. Looks like you prefer the brown and green. I like it too, just wasn't sure how many people prefer green over blue. I think it will go nicely with most ukes.

I like the 5-series the most. The lines look like 4 strings, and then the 4-dots look either like Braille or other representation of finger positions, and as such is related to the uke. If they are braille, that is good too since it is also something tactile, involving and read with your fingertips. (My best friend's daughter is blind - otherwise I might not have thought of this)

5A and 5C being preferred as I'm not into brighter or bolder colors for myself for a strap.

Also, this pattern could be stamped or embossed onto the leather straps, or even heat-branded into the leather, but not sure you want to get that fancy. Sort of as a 'relief' if you know what I mean.

However, I am not opposed to the other patterns at all. I like simple geometric shapes and also stay away from animal graphics.
Thanks Booli
I was thinking of the lines as strings and the dots as chord patterns. I was also trying to refer to mud cloth designs by coming up with my own uke related version.
It might be interesting to add texture to the leather straps, but I don't have plans to do that at this time. It would add to the cost of the leather straps, and I am not sure if there is a demand for that yet.

Of those pictured, I like the brown with green and black triangles and the blue with lines and dots. I also like stripes that go perpendicular to the length of the strap, don't care for animal-themed straps, but star patterns are alright. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I love my uke leash!

Thanks cliwilnew
I will try out the stripes going the other way, like frets instead of strings, and see how I like it. The design concept of referring to ukes would still be there.

Great Feedback!! Can't wait to get more.

–Lori

For myself, I'm not overly fond of any of them. I'm just fine with the solid colors. Now if you had skulls or flames or something, I'm in. :rock: (joking - mostly:p )
Thanks Jim
I will continue to carry the solid colors, and the prints will be a new addition or a special limited edition. I was told by a uke retailer that they have been selling a lot of print straps, so I am going to give it a try for at least a small run. Prints were something I researched at the beginning, but decided to just offer colors first. I have a local mill that has given me a reasonable offer for a small quantity. It will cost a lot more per strap on my side of things, so I may have to charge a little more for prints.

–Lori

Thanks Booli

I was thinking of the lines as strings and the dots as chord patterns. I was also trying to refer to mud cloth designs by coming up with my own uke related version.

It might be interesting to add texture to the leather straps, but I don't have plans to do that at this time. It would add to the cost of the leather straps, and I am not sure if there is a demand for that yet.

I'm glad to help - and as always wish you the best success with all of this.

Now that you confirmed your intention and the meaning of the lines and dots pattern, I REALLY really Really like it even more!

I feel like I'm part of a secret club in that I 'get it' since what I saw matches your intention.

Very cool to know this. Feels awesome too! Make me think that as an artist/designer, that you Lori are at least part psychic, like from that INCEPTION movie...LOL

Good stuff Lori!

Very nice, I like to see forward thinking...

Patterns from crop circles would be very cool.

Don't fear the mango

Now that you confirmed your intention and the meaning of the lines and dots pattern, I REALLY really Really like it even more!
Ok,that is cool. Looking again, the dots are almost chord patterns already. I see Bb, Bbm, Dm, G7, Em, F and some others. It would be really cool if they formed an actual song. Picking the song would the tricky part. Something iconic like Five Foot Two maybe? Wait, is it already a song??

I was also thinking of chords when I saw the dots and lines. How about chord families printed on the straps? You could have different ones, with different families. :)

Ok,that is cool. Looking again, the dots are almost chord patterns already. I see Bb, Bbm, Dm, G7, Em, F and some others. It would be really cool if they formed an actual song. Picking the song would the tricky part. Something iconic like Five Foot Two maybe? Wait, is it already a song??
Hi Jim
I thought about that, or maybe taking the chord names (limited to A,B,C,D,E,F,G) and spelling out something in uke chord code. Or maybe doing G,C,E,A.

I was also thinking of chords when I saw the dots and lines. How about chord families printed on the straps? You could have different ones, with different families. :)
Mivo– This could be fun too. It would be extra tricky to make sure you could actually read the chord sequence while wearing the strap. The straps come in different lengths, and it would be hard to place such info in a position that would be visible to people of different sizes. The headstock straps are more consistent, so maybe a few chord references would work there.

Sorry, personally, none of those.

Maybe you should think of basic chords boxes, rather than dots & lines, just a thought. :)

This is also important feedback. I was considering this direction as well. I will post more ideas soon. Also, are you just not excited about prints in general, or is it just that this is not the kind of print you would be interested in? If you like a different print idea, what would you like to see?

–Lori

I like 1a and 3a. Nice colors and a simple but attractive pattern.

I tent camp so the brown and green ones in the middle get my vote -2a through 4a - since they look like little teepee tents with a rainfly. Might want to see if you can promote them in some camping or outdoors forums.

I like 1a and 3a. Nice colors and a simple but attractive pattern.
Thanks DownUpDave!

I tent camp so the brown and green ones in the middle get my vote -2a through 4a - since they look like little teepee tents with a rainfly. Might want to see if you can promote them in some camping or outdoors forums.
Thanks Laura, I like woodsy ones too.

More design evolution

So, I have made up some new designs, with different ways to show chord diagrams. Let me know which ones you prefer, or which ones you don't like. Both kinds of feedback is needed to narrow down the choices. Choice of chord sequence and color is also up to vote. I wanted some classic chord sequences represented. I can print on both sides of the strap, so more than one design can be used. On "Blue Moon", one side would be the chords, and the other moon and star graphics. Or graphics could be spaced between the chord diagrams. There could be graphics on one side of the strap, and chord diagrams on the other side. All feedback is welcome. Test songs here are Five Foot Two, Blue Moon The Lion Sleeps Tonight, and This Land is Your Land.
–Lori

Attachments

• song-chord-strap-design2.jpg
    song-chord-strap-design2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 8
I like all the various chord patterns, nice stuff Lori. Will the WUE by playing at the July 9 Uke Expo?

I like all the various chord patterns, nice stuff Lori. Will the WUE by playing at the July 9 Uke Expo?
Hi Mike
We inquired, but didn't get any response, so we have not planned on performing. Jeff, our main contact has been on vacation this week, but we would have had to know a month ago to make sure we had extra practice sessions to polish up our set.

–Lori

Too bad, I like hearing you guys. I've emailed Jason a couple times in the last few months with no reply, they must be very busy planning this.

Top Bottom