Wound strings for Kala UBass?

Nickie

Reaction score
We have a Kala UBass, and the E string is so large and floppy that it buzzes at times and sounds thuddy.
Is there a wound string with less diameter that can replace these? And does the nut have to be changed?
Do these basses all have truss rods?

Hi Nickie,

kohanmike and mrufino had used wound strings, there is each a set made by Kala and also by Pyramid.

Amazon has them. They are not cheap though, like $60 I think?

I wanted to try them, but the price put me off.

I have NOT seen them for sale anywhere else, which really sucks since there is no price pressure from other vendors.

Also, Magic Fluke has a special WOUND bass set for their Timber Fluke bass, that are made for them by La Bella, they are $28 and only sold on the Magic Fluke web site here:

http://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/timberstrings.htm

Not sure if they would work on other instruments as the ends of these strings are wound in a special way, in how they are tapered and you CAN NOT cut them or they will just unravel.

Hope this helps...

Booli

I bought my Kala wound strings once from Kala and also from B&H ($30), I like them. The Pyramids are expensive. You might want to contact Kala about the buzzing, they're very good about customer support. If I'm not mistaken, the bridge on the Kala U-bass is adjustable, maybe just dial it a little higher. It's possible you may need a new nut.

The round wound nylon core Kala strings are not high tension, they shouldn't need a truss rod, but having a truss rod is good in my opinion. I just put a set on the new bass mod I received yesterday, it does have a truss rod.

Ukenbacker done front.jpg

Thank you, I checked and it has a truss rod. Mike, I'm looking forward to trying these new strings!

Just put a set of the Kala Silver Plated Round Wounds on my Kala Rumbler.

Quick assessment: Much more of an electric bass sound, a lot more 'bite.' Have to be much more precise as far as fingernails striking the strings with the picking hand than with Pahoehoes or Rumblers. Seem to be quite a bit louder acoustically. For me, slides and bends are much easier.

Initial impression is extremely favorable, much closer to the feel and response from my electric basses.

I have another set that will go on the solid body Gold Tone soon.

Agreed, with the wound Kala strings you definitely need to have better technique, I'm finding when I don't, the strings "fart" and buzz often. After using them for a while, I'm still partial to the Road Toad Pahoehoe, even the Aquila Thunder Reds with powder are too sticky and noisy for me.

I find Thunderguts sticky and "burns" my callusess, especially on slides. A regular dusting with talcum powder makes a a big difference but is messy.

The Thunder Reds with a one shot coating of powder seems to be getting smoother over time. I wouldn't want to continuously use powder on the Thunderguts, definitely too messy so I don't use them.

Top Bottom