NUD - Ohana sopranissimo - Ohana O'Nino

igorthebarbarian

Reaction score
It's a baby! Wow, it's tiny but adorable. It's like a midget uke. The Ohana sopranissimo, the Ohana O'Nino.

MIM got a whole bunch of them sent out and I was on the pre-order list. As always, MIM has done a great setup and delivered with quick, safe shipping.

These O'Nino's are definitely cute and worth the small investment for a pretty rare-sized uke. Also, given its small stature, it would make a great travel uke.

Note, it doesn't fit in the Sopranino hard case because of the geared tuners. I think it would though if you had friction tuners. I think the geared tuners here are good quality and seem to hold tuning well/ turn easily. It's not super head-heavy either.

The uke is small. I have attached a photo in here of the sopranissimo O'Nino on the left, the SK-21A sopranino cedar top, and a Famous Soprano uke.

If you ever wanted the Soprano to feel like a Tenor or a Baritone, go play a Sopranissimo or Sopranino. I have fairly small hands so I can play the new O'Nino pretty easily. It's definitely tight though and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with big fingers/ big hands/ big fingertips. Definitely would be awesome for kids looking to get into the ukulele.

The first thing I did was swap out the Aquila strings for my favored Worth Brown's. I had a set of Browns that I had taken off another Soprano, that I had kept in anticipation (also helped that they were already pre-stretched a bit). You can see in one of the photos the extra length leftover compared to the normal Soprano string length.

Also, I tuned mine up to E tuning. Regular C would be too floppy and D tuning seemed too low too. I had it all the way up to F briefly (CFAD) but dialed it back a half-step. It seems to be a good tuning for such a short scale.

But I would like to know if that E tuning is too high? It doesn't feel like it but if someone can let me know, or do the math, that'd be great. Thanks!

View attachment 92169View attachment 92170View attachment 92171IMG_1522.jpgIMG_1524.jpg

Congrats! It's soooo darn cute!

My best friend just took possession of one of these, also from Mim, and loves it. He really marvels at the quality and setup on it.

This guy is an art prof, and makes his own instruments from time to time. Very skilled.

This is the first time I recall him getting a new instrument and not tinkering with it six ways to Sunday to get it just how he likes it.

I received mine yesterday, and think it's just adorable. A challenge to play, but worth the effort. What fun!

Wow, those are small! Cute, but small, I struggle with playing even the sopranino! Enjoy!

Very cute little uke. If you want lower tuning on that and your sopranino with less flopage, try a set of the Fremont Blacklines-High tension.
I love Worth Browns and had them on all of my ukes, so naturally I put some on my Black Bear sopranino. Lived with the flop for about a year. I didn't want to tune it higher, just wanted a mini me of my other ukes tuned the same.
Went on a string quest for my sopranino and Bari and the Fremont High tensions were just what I was after for the sopranino.

Did anyone keep the Aquilas? Why not? Thank you. Also, how does it sound in the key of C?

Top Bottom