::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've also kind of monopolized several crops by developing "Round Up" resistant plants. If you farm non-monsanto seeds and your crop's seeds blows into a "monsanto" owned farm they have been suing, and winning, thus forcing independent farmers out of business. It started with soy but now I read where they're starting to do it with corn as well.

The documentary Food Inc. even goes as far to say that they sometimes sue small farmers to force them into bankruptcy. Even when they would lose if it went to court their lawyers tie the case up to the point where the small farmer can't compete financially. The legal fees get so high that they go bankrupt or sell.

Ooops. I have this backward. When their seed spreads to the neighbors farm through "acts of God" they are suing the farmers for using their seed. That makes somewhat more sense.

I think tonight I'm going to cook some sort of stir fry based off of something from the Diabetic Living website.

Or maybe mizutaki. Just veggies and chicken cooked in water with that same dipping sauce.

Even cooking isn't going to be as fun.

They've also kind of monopolized several crops by developing "Round Up" resistant plants. If you farm non-monsanto seeds and your crop's seeds blows into a "monsanto" owned farm they have been suing, and winning, thus forcing independent farmers out of business. It started with soy but now I read where they're starting to do it with corn as well.

The documentary Food Inc. even goes as far to say that they sometimes sue small farmers to force them into bankruptcy. Even when they would lose if it went to court their lawyers tie the case up to the point where the small farmer can't compete financially. The legal fees get so high that they go bankrupt or sell.

Also sugar beets I think

Last edited:

The documentary Food, Inc. isn't exactly an unbiased source.

Stupid huh?!

And they've been winning the lawsuits. Mostly because they have the lawmakers in their backpocket or like I said, they just draw it out and bankrupt the poor little guy. Watch Food Inc. it will upset you. Same with FedUp (sugar industry).

FedUp isn't exactly an unbiased source.

The documentary Food, Inc. isn't exactly an unbiased source.

FedUp isn't exactly an unbiased source.

Naturalsociety.com isn't exactly an unbiased source.

Please understand - I'm NOT saying Monsanto is a group of angels. There have been documented low-down dirty deeds. But you guys are citing heavily biased sources to make your points. Give me Reuters or AP articles and I'll be more understanding. I do know that in addition to their dirty deeds, Monsanto and other bioengineering firms have done more to address coming food crises that may arise due to overpopulation and global warming than the organic foods industry has.

I think you got off easy.

Hahahaha that reminds me of one of my Physics professors from UCIrvine, Dr. Meier, he had eyes that looked in two different directions, and often times when we had questions, he would acknowledge a student, and then two of us would start asking questions at the same time. :D

Please understand - I'm NOT saying Monsanto is a group of angels. There have been documented low-down dirty deeds. But you guys are citing heavily biased sources to make your points. Give me Reuters or AP articles and I'll be more understanding. I do know that in addition to their dirty deeds, Monsanto and other bioengineering firms have done more to address coming food crises that may arise due to overpopulation and global warming than the organic foods industry has.

This

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ap-monsanto-strong-arms-seed-industry/

Now you're talkin'!
So that covers the licensing of the technology Monsanto developed to insert genes into seeds, most specifically the Roundup Ready gene. But it doesn't cover allegations that Monsanto has sued people who allow Monsanto test crops to grow when they have spread outside the bounds of the test fields.

I do agree they have made some great stuff that really produce lots of food in a small area but it makes me feel weird too that almost everything is genetically engineered....and I wonder what long term effects it will have on us.

I think that papaya are no longer the papaya of old every papaya is genetically modified

I do agree they have made some great stuff that really produce lots of food in a small area but it makes me feel weird too that almost everything is genetically engineered....and I wonder what long term effects it will have on us.

I think that papaya are no longer the papaya of old every papaya is genetically modified

I have no problem with genetically engineered seeds to grow more or bigger crops. I have a problem with seeds being made to be pest tolerant by them being injected with round up type products.

Slightly off topic, but similar. I hate eating chicken that are way larger than they were meant to be. Normally the meat isn't even that good.

I understand they're biased sources, but when they point out who is in the pocket of what lobbyists that's what upsets me.

This morning I had to take James with me to my doctors appointment (he was back to normal this morning btw) and afterwards we went out to breakfast. I tried a "Personal Trainer" omelette. It was an egg white omelette with onions, spinach and chicken served on a bed of black beans with a side of cottage cheese. No salt. The most BLAND thing I've ever eaten. The only flavor was the black beans and there was maybe 1/3C of those. I had to struggle to identify any flavor in the omelette. It wasn't horrible just flavorless.

Last night we went out to dinner too and I had a "steamer basket" at a Japanese restaurant. It was assorted veggies and salmon steamed and served with ponzu sauce (yuzu fruit and soy). That was also bland but at least the ponzu gave it some flavor.

I'm keeping within my calories and although salt hasn't been restricted yet I'm trying to keep it around the 1500mg recommendation.

I thought calorie counting was going to be tough. Piece of cake compared to limiting your salt.

There are seasonings that aren't salt. Spices are your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom