::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know, I just doubt it would have been an issue on pre-contact Hawaii. That's what I meant.

It was also a different time.
When the missionaries and the Europeans (and Americans) came to Hawaii they thought of the natives as 'savages' in spite of the fact that they were skilled navigators (without instruments) and had a rich cultural heritage but as they had no written language it was assumed they were savages.

As the missionaries taught the natives to read and write, the Kingdom of Hawaii had the highest rate of literacy among its populace, and `Iolani Palace had electric lights and flush toilets before the White House did.
Fact. You can look it up if you like.
Yeah, real savages.
Stupid haoles. :D

Lots of times I feel ashamed of my people. Oh well.

Also, they weren't white.

I'm ashamed of my people too. The Christian missionaries' misdeeds have been well catalogued. Avaricious European colonialists used their national religion (again Christianity) as an excuse. Manifest destiny Americans using whatever excuse they could to exploit peoples and lands. None of this is exclusive to Hawaii, but Hawaii got more than its fair share of all of it.

So in my back yard I had a Guava tree and a Papaya tree, both of them died.
The neighbor had this shrub/tree that grew above the fence and dropped lots of its berries and now those damn things are sprouting all over my back yard.
I hacked away a few of them that had become quite large.
I filled our Green bin last weekend, so I had to wait until it was collected to fill it again with the remainder of what I cut down yesterday.

As I was breaking down the branches I came across a hug pile of feathers. I guess that cat that hangs out in our back yard had a snack.
A spotted dove by the looks of the feathers.
When I was raking leaves yesterday I just about had a heart attack -as I was raking behind this tree the cat stirred and jumped to top of the fence - I was not expecting that!
Usually the biggest critters I disturb in the back yard are Mynahs and/or anoles.

So in my back yard I had a Guava tree and a Papaya tree, both of them died.
The neighbor had this shrub/tree that grew above the fence and dropped lots of its berries and now those damn things are sprouting all over my back yard.
I hacked away a few of them that had become quite large.
I filled our Green bin last weekend, so I had to wait until it was collected to fill it again with the remainder of what I cut down yesterday.

As I was breaking down the branches I came across a hug pile of feathers. I guess that cat that hangs out in our back yard had a snack.
A spotted dove by the looks of the feathers.
When I was raking leaves yesterday I just about had a heart attack -as I was raking behind this tree the cat stirred and jumped to top of the fence - I was not expecting that!
Usually the biggest critters I disturb in the back yard are Mynahs and/or anoles.

Was he eyeing you for lunch?

Oh, and I had noticed my left arm was sore all week - I thought it was just mild tendinitis from all the yard work -so I was trying to take it easy at the gym. The last thing I did yesterday was run the trimmer on the grass in front.

Oh.

THAT was it. Immediate discomfort when I started swinging it around. That makes sense now. I had a marathon trimmer session last weekend in the back yard.

Was he eyeing you for lunch?

HAhahaha!
He was napping on all the fallen leaves I was trying to rake up. He has a brown/black mottled coat. Excellent camouflage on dead leaves.

I think he was actually born in my back yard, under my grill.

We saw momma hanging around there last year, then a bunch of kittens appeared (which we left alone).
This cat seems to be the only one who hangs out in our yard. We do not feed him, but he is often there sunning or lazing about as if he owns the place.

Yeah, I know, I just doubt it would have been an issue on pre-contact Hawaii. That's what I meant.

It was also a different time.
When the missionaries and the Europeans (and Americans) came to Hawaii they thought of the natives as 'savages' in spite of the fact that they were skilled navigators (without instruments) and had a rich cultural heritage but as they had no written language it was assumed they were savages.

As the missionaries taught the natives to read and write, the Kingdom of Hawaii had the highest rate of literacy among its populace, and `Iolani Palace had electric lights and flush toilets before the White House did.
Fact. You can look it up if you like.
Yeah, real savages.
Stupid haoles. :D

Lots of times I feel ashamed of my people. Oh well.

European colonizers had a real habit of considering anybody who didn't look like them to be savages. We've made some progress in that regard...but we haven't ended that mindset completely.

I don't do that very much. I do a lot of "oh, I wish mom could see this." But at my nieces' dance recital, I was caught quite off guard when I thought "oh, I wonder if mom's here yet?" That was pretty soon after and it just hit me like a bag of bricks.

Someone said it's like losing your compass and that is the most resonant reference I've yet been given.

I also think it's interesting that now that she is gone, I am ... ready? not ready but have no choice? processing a lot of trauma stuff from my past. One of mom's highest values was someone who could be "a brick" in crisis, so maybe I don't have to do that anymore? Or *can't* do that anymore? Maybe I've lost my capacity for stoicism? Or maybe she was the foundation for my walls that made life manageable? It's like, she died, I grieved, there was a little pause, and then all this crap came roaring back from other stuff. I'm a hot mess over here.

((((Freeda)))) .

Some people call me the thread killer, yeah
Some call me the killer of fun
Some people call me Freeda

Ok, I just learned that the next lyric in The Joker contains the word "Pompitous". WTF?

. . . like the pompitous of love.

Or pompatus. That word is rock legend. Steve Miller made it up after Paul McCartney told him "sometimes you just do what it takes to write a song."

Pompatus (/ˈpɒmpətəs/) is a nonsense word coined by Steve Miller and most famously used in his 1973 hit single "The Joker". The word was inspired by a similar nonsense word, sometimes transliterated as "puppetutes," in the 1954 song "The Letter" by The Medallions.

---Wikipedia

See? Rich knows.

And...home-grown fresh tomatoes are the worst of all. The more flavor, the more gag-inducing. My dad was famous for his home-grown tomatoes. All summer long every year I would have a small bowl of fresh tomatoes as part of our dinner. My summer nightmare.

Ah yes. I remember now.

I can keep my Akorn at 200 for 12 hours with lump charcoal. Your buddy may smoke all the time, but it sounds like he may be a little lacking in technical ability.

Me too.

I think it might be the type of smoker(s). Ours are sealed incredibly well. I think his has a "smoke box" and a blower. Pretty sure he can just dial up a temperature and it does most of the work for you like the pellet feed type.

I have long been a fan of donkeys. I have no idea why, but they just appeal to me. I've often thought that if I had the right property, I would want one as a pet. That will never happen now, but it would have been cool....

Not a fan.

I got bit by one when I was a kid. Me and three of my cousins were riding him and I guess he decided he'd had enough and turned around and chomped down on my foot. He wouldn't let go. I fell off (we were riding it bare back) and it was holding me upside down by my foot. I was about six and was on it with two older cousins.

The flooding on Kauai was nuts.
So much devastation.
Those photos of the bison standing on the little sandbar were odd.
I saw photos of some of the rivers and waterfalls just raging brown, crazy.
I have been to Kauai where it poured rain for 10 days straight (our honeymoon) but it was not like that.

I cleaned out my rain gutters yesterday. There was so much muck plants were growing in a couple spots.

Over here on the Westside the sky is grey and the ground is bright green everywhere.

Chuck Moore says they got a foot of rain last night, and that Kauai had 27" of rain in 24 hours.

There was some flooding over on the Windward side but where I am it was just rainy.

Aaron said his grandmother's house in Hanalei is flooded to about 3' but they were fine in Kapaa. Thankfully his grandmother was staying with his mom in Kapaa. My friend who farms Taro in Hanalei is completely underwater. From the view point way up on the hill you used to be able to see their big white barn. In the picture he posted on FB you can only see the barn roof in the midst of the big brown lake that the whole valley became. But his family is safe too. They evacuated to higher ground once the river started to reach it's banks. They may have lost some pigs.

That happens anywhere humans have moved in, not just haoles and Hawaii. Look at Catalina island and the bison.

For those of you that don’t know Santa Catalina Island is a small island 26 miles off the Southern California coast. It has two small towns on it and is a vacation spot. Back in the early movie making days they filmed westerns there. They imported bison (and other animals) and just left them there. It became a problem when they started breeding. When the Island Conservancy was created they struck up a deal with Yellowstone and now cycle them in and out. They have become part of the ecosystem but in a controlled way.

Didn't they also have a huge goat problem too? I think one of my buddies hunted goats there. As part of the eradication process they lotteried hunting licenses for goats there.

Not a fan.

I got bit by one when I was a kid. Me and three of my cousins were riding him and I guess he decided he'd had enough and turned around and chomped down on my foot. He wouldn't let go. I fell off (we were riding it bare back) and it was holding me upside down by my foot. I was about six and was on it with two older cousins.

Maybe that's the reason the one time I went horseback riding the horse tried to kill me. He could sense my reluctance.

There are railroad tracks about a half mile from our condo, carrying both freight and passenger trains. While in Florida, I forgot how much I enjoy hearing the trains go by. Some folks find it annoying, but I like it....

Just woke up from a long nap.

Up early to take James to surgery to get drainage tubes removed from his ears. They actually kind of made us leave a bit too early when James still needed to rest because the baby next to him was going into respiratory and then cardiac arrest.

I actually walked by the baby, and the mom had him/her on her lap facing outward and she was sleeping and the dad was just sitting in the chair next to them on his phone. The baby was purple so I told the nurse.

They got the baby resuscitated, it was crying and then it just stopped again. They called for an anesthesiologist and came running with a crash cart. It was really scary so we didn't mind when they were asking if we could take James home a little early.

As we were leaving I was lead past the baby again. It was a deeper purple and they were about to use the defibrillator on him. They took James out the long way around. The nurse that brought James out looked pale.

Thankfully James was still feeling the effects of the happy juice and was babbling away. He got sick about a mile from the hospital so I pulled over until he fell asleep and then drove home. I didn't want to wake him up and bring him in if he still felt sick so I just stayed with him in the car for what turned into three hours. He was all snugly in blankets and a pillow. Now he's up and back to normal. He says he thinks he can hear better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom