::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, awesome! I was going to do a brisket yesterday (isn't Labor Day the unofficial "cook meat outside day"?), but the smoke and fire danger situation has outdoor grilling banned right now.

The hardware store I was at only had "Frontier" brand lump coal and the ridiculously expensive Green Egg lump charcoal.

I've started doing a little research and there is a huge variance in prices for the different brands. Do you have a favorite?

Gonna be that parent visiting within the first hour of school starting.

Sheryl woke up at 7:40. "CRAP! Jon! The alarm didn't go off!" School starts at 8:00.

Both girls were there on time, but not a great start to the first day of school.

If you plan on using it as a smoker the smoking stone is a really worthwhile accessory - it allows you to drop the heat lower easier and makes all heat in the grill indirect. I place a tin of water on top of the smoking stone while using as a smoker to keep the humidity up in the thing too - works great. Char-Griller's website is great - pretty much all parts possible are available through them - you probably could have gotten the axle and bolts if you hadn't been handy enough to figure it out yourself.

Married to Mika.

I have the smoking stone, the pizza stone, a rib rack and beer can chicken cooker, a drip pan, a chimney starter, starter cubes, starter kindling, starter in a can, grill cleaner, a cover and a bucket for the charcoal.

I heard on the news last week that there's been a breakthrough in peanut allergy research. They are thinking that they can cure people of the allergy, and virtually eliminate the problem in the near future....

We have a friend whose daughter went through peanut allergy therapy. They were able to get her to the point that peanuts are no dangerous to her - not something she'll ever eat regularly, but she isn't in danger from them anymore.

Jon, I don't need a measurement from your grill any more. I got 'er done already. Spiffy aluminum axle and shiny 1/4" 20 screws in place of the ugly ones. Only $2.50 eaten into my $90.00 discount.

small dents are on the backside and only noticeable because I poured over the whole thing looking for damage.

Steaks were awesome. Chicken took too long because I didn't want to add coals but came out great as well. Eager to smoke something in there but I'm not sure how well I'll be able to control the temperature since I just got it and haven't played around with it yet.

Bottom vent is your best friend - Grilling: for lighting it I have both vents wide open. Once up to heat I close the lower vent to about 1 1/2 inches and the top vent to about 1/3 inch.

For smoking: I start with the vents at about the place where I grill (bottom 1 1/2 inch, top 1/3 inch). Light the very top of a large charcoal/smoking wood pile (you can light 5-6 coals and set them on top, but I usually just hit the very top of the pile with a propane torch). Put the smoking stone on and let it smolder. I put the meat on when the internal temp reaches about 150 and start closing the lower vent down once it hits 200. I can maintain 225 for hours easily. Need to adjust the lower vent a few times in the first hour, but after that it will just hold.

Are those kids and their parents financially liable for the cost of the fire? I think in CA they could be charged with the cost of fighting the fire plus all damages.

There's a lot of talk about that right now but the authorities haven't said anything about what the consequences will be. The fire has jumped the Columbia river and is burning on the Washington side, too. The Columbia is about a half mile wide at that point - that's how severe the fire danger is. The fire and air are so hot the embers keep burning all the way across the river.

There's a lot of talk about that right now but the authorities haven't said anything about what the consequences will be. The fire has jumped the Columbia river and is burning on the Washington side, too. The Columbia is about a half mile wide at that point - that's how severe the fire danger is. The fire and air are so hot the embers keep burning all the way across the river.

Public opinion is sure in favor of hitting them for the full cost, though. They are damn lucky the 150 hikers made it out.

Been looking at jobs too. Applied to Costco today.

Costco would be fools not to hire you. We know a couple people who work there - they have nothing but great stuff to say about it as an employer.

So, Brown County has several scholarships for graduating seniors, I'm starting to realize that for once being in a county with a small population is going to help us. Matt figures there are about 100 seniors in his school, he thinks maybe 50 will go to college, out of that maybe 25 will apply for scholarships. I'm starting to like our odds.

Apply for them all. It never hurts. My wife said sometimes people who have a ton of money still try to grab a scholarship or 2

No problem.

I just over guesstimated and then trimmed to size.

Any favorite recipes?

My favorite rib rub is a bunch of brown sugar, a bunch of smoked Spanish paprika, a bunch of garlic powder, a dash of rosemary, and some salt. I love the smoked Spanish paprika. I swear - I could just sit in a tub of that stuff and inhale the odor.

I rub the ribs the night before and wrap in plastic and put them in the fridge. Take them out and unwrap them about 45 min or so before the smoker is ready for them.

The hardware store I was at only had "Frontier" brand lump coal and the ridiculously expensive Green Egg lump charcoal.

I've started doing a little research and there is a huge variance in prices for the different brands. Do you have a favorite?
The red bag stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom