Page 5840 of 5891 FirstFirst ... 484053405740579058305838583958405841584258505890 ... LastLast
Results 58,391 to 58,400 of 58902

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

The flooding on Kauai was nuts.
    So much devastation.
    Those photos of the bison standing on the little sandbar were odd.
    I saw photos of some of the rivers and waterfalls just raging brown, crazy.
    I have been to Kauai where it poured rain for 10 days straight (our honeymoon) but it was not like that.

I cleaned out my rain gutters yesterday. There was so much muck plants were growing in a couple spots.

Over here on the Westside the sky is grey and the ground is bright green everywhere.

Chuck Moore says they got a foot of rain last night, and that Kauai had 27" of rain in 24 hours.

There was some flooding over on the Windward side but where I am it was just rainy.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

It's funny, when we go to Canoe Hut either before the band starts or when there is no band I like to sing karaoke. They have a lot of traditional Hawaiian music but also regular songs.
    I always ask Nanilei for suggestions because she is good at reading the mood of the room and suggesting songs that fit my voice that I would never think of.
    Unfortunately she gets irritated when I ask her and usually just says figure it out yourself, or just "no" when I suggest something.

Anyway last time she came through with a brilliant suggestion, I Saw the Light by Todd Rundgren, and she was right, great song, fit my voice well, EXACTLY the reason I ask her.
    I have learned all the chords by heart, sounds pretty good on ukulele too (Can't do the slide part though. Yet ). I have the first half of the lyrics down as well.
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string

Well just a few more work days then four days of PTO, so a six day mini staycation starts Wednesday afternoon.
    BIL.and SIL strive from Maui, along with another family friend and his new wife, Nanilei and I have never met the new wife, should be interesting.
    Looking forward to staying on the North Shore, and hopefully going on the boat ( if the weather cooperates).
    Compass Rose 5 string

This client keeps calling me for support, but the issue is with QuickBooks. I tell him that he needs to call QuickBooks support, he is paying for QuickBooks support, but he doesn't get it...
    Compass Rose 5 string

Hahaha he just called back (third call this morning) with QuickBooks support on the line too.
    The sad part is I actually had to tell QuickBooks support how to fix the issue.
    Ok, I get why he calls me now.
    Compass Rose 5 string

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    Amazing how cavalier the haoles were with such a fragile isolated ecosystem.
    Like the rats coming in on cargo ships, started eating sugar cane, so they introduce Mongoose to eat the rats, the Mongoose could care less about the rats and ate all the bird eggs, since many species of native birds nested on the ground, because they had no predators.
    Mongoose and rats both still here, but many of those beautiful little birds are gone.
    That happens anywhere humans have moved in, not just haoles and Hawaii. Look at Catalina island and the bison.

For those of you that donít know Santa Catalina Island is a small island 26 miles off the Southern California coast. It has two small towns on it and is a vacation spot. Back in the early movie making days they filmed westerns there. They imported bison (and other animals) and just left them there. It became a problem when they started breeding. When the Island Conservancy was created they struck up a deal with Yellowstone and now cycle them in and out. They have become part of the ecosystem but in a controlled way.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    That happens anywhere humans have moved in, not just haoles and Hawaii. Look at Catalina island and the bison.

For those of you that don’t know Santa Catalina Island is a small island 26 miles off the Southern California coast. It has two small towns on it and is a vacation spot. Back in the early movie making days they filmed westerns there. They imported bison (and other animals) and just left them there. It became a problem when they started breeding. When the Island Conservancy was created they struck up a deal with Yellowstone and now cycle them in and out. They have become part of the ecosystem but in a controlled way.
    Yup, pretty much every corner of the world has a story of idiots who introduced a new species and caused huge problems. I recently saw a video about how raccoons are destroying all the ancient wooden temples in Japan.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

Raccoon are EVIL!
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

The rain is letting up, although the roof is still leaking steadily.

I may not need to start building that ark, after all....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post

For those of you that don’t know Santa Catalina Island is a small island 26 miles off the Southern California coast. It has two small towns on it and is a vacation spot. Back in the early movie making days they filmed westerns there. They imported bison (and other animals) and just left them there. It became a problem when they started breeding. When the Island Conservancy was created they struck up a deal with Yellowstone and now cycle them in and out. They have become part of the ecosystem but in a controlled way.
    Yeah, I know, I just doubt it would have been an issue on pre-contact Hawaii. That's what I meant.

It was also a different time.
    When the missionaries and the Europeans (and Americans) came to Hawaii they thought of the natives as 'savages' in spite of the fact that they were skilled navigators (without instruments) and had a rich cultural heritage but as they had no written language it was assumed they were savages.

As the missionaries taught the natives to read and write, the Kingdom of Hawaii had the highest rate of literacy among its populace, and `Iolani Palace had electric lights and flush toilets before the White House did.
    Fact. You can look it up if you like.
    Yeah, real savages.
    Stupid haoles.

Lots of times I feel ashamed of my people. Oh well.
    Compass Rose 5 string

Thread Information