::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the kids are gossiping/texting that a freshman girl just jumped off the Homestead bridge onto the freeway below.

I really hope it's not true.

It's so sad when a young person kills themselves, they have no idea that their life will be completely different in a few years.

Man, this winter fest thingy is becoming a big deal. I really underestimated the response, not even sure who most of the people are and how they found out about it. I'm even getting solicitations from performers who are definitely feeling the slow season. And of course some guy posts that he is bringing his drums, yea! Drums.:p

It's so sad when a young person kills themselves, they have no idea that their life will be completely different in a few years.

It gets better!

It's hard for them to see/understand because everything is larger than life in high school but it does indeed get better.

Growing up and BEING an adult. Jeezus.

Home ec (both sewing and cooking), civics, business classes, gym, art, shop classes, health...this is all important stuff.

Unfortunately these are the classes being or have been cut. I hear so many young people wishing they had learned basic skills in school to navigate adulthood.

Actually home ec., shop, civics, and business was not offered at my school. I think it was rare to see those offered in the nineties. The school district I graduated from did create a technical skills school, and it's held at my old high school. There's limited space, and a popular program from what I heard. I think they created it to combat the high drop out rates in the area.

Last edited:
Matt passed his ECA test for English this week. It's an Indiana standard testing needed to graduate. Still amazes me that he started learning English in 7th grade and has it mastered 5 years later.

It's amazing how elastic brains are at that age.

Congrats to Matt!

Unfortunately these are the classes being or have been cut. I hear so many young people wishing they had learned basic skills in school to navigate adulthood.

Actually home ec., shop, civics, and business was not offered at my school. I think it was rare to see those offered in the nineties. The school district I graduated from did create a technical skills school, and it's held at my old high school. There's limited space, and a popular program from what I heard. I think they created it to combat the high drop out rates in the area.
I know. And it's very sad. Those classes are probably the classes that have helped me the most in my life. Sometimes -- and, yes, my age is showing -- I don't understand what they do do at school. And sometimes I just feel insulted. That the way we were educated was horrible? Seems plenty of people in our generation are pretty smart. The one thing I do really like is that things aren't just taught to the "average" student. There is more inclusiveness with all types of students.

Jerry!!??!!?? If they don't take shop, art and that kinda stuff, what fills up the day?

Man, this winter fest thingy is becoming a big deal. I really underestimated the response, not even sure who most of the people are and how they found out about it. I'm even getting solicitations from performers who are definitely feeling the slow season. And of course some guy posts that he is bringing his drums, yea! Drums.:p

Just. Say. No.

I know. And it's very sad. Those classes are probably the classes that have helped me the most in my life. Sometimes -- and, yes, my age is showing -- I don't understand what they do do at school. And sometimes I just feel insulted. That the way we were educated was horrible? Seems plenty of people in our generation are pretty smart. The one thing I do really like is that things aren't just taught to the "average" student. There is more inclusiveness with all types of students.

Jerry!!??!!?? If they don't take shop, art and that kinda stuff, what fills up the day?

At my school?

AP Bio
AP English
AP Calculus AB
AP Calculus BC
AP Statistics
AP Computer Science
AP Prgraming
AP Environmental Science
AP History
AP French
AP Japanese
AP Spanish
AP Chinese
AP Studio Art
AP Music Theory
AP Chemistry
AP Physics

Culinary Food Science
Digital Design: Animation
Engineering Technology
Multimedia Design

These four classes which used to be considered Tech/Shop classes all offer a-g college credit and college articulation. Much more rigorous than their "normal" counterparts.

The majority of those classes above are also offered as "Honors" courses at my school. They are weighted heavier towards your gpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom