::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He actually said, "You Asians"? Wow!

He probably thought he was being all correct by not saying "You Orientals".

Displays of racism have escalated since the orange haired monster came. I don't think it is new, but idiots feel freer to vocalize their stupidity.

I am very aware of being white living here, even more so since I grew up in lily white Orange county. I am also overwhelmingly accepted by my Hawaiian ohana and friends here. The right attitude and respect for local culture goes a long way. I never forget I am the visitor and I am very glad the locals welcome me and let me live among them.

He probably couldn't tell I was Japanese.

Of course he couldn't. He's never attempted to educate himself. People like that think all asians have slanted eyes and yellow skin. They are clueless.

If I can't tell physically but hear a last name I can usually narrow it down. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, and Thai, I can usually tell. But Cambodian, Laotian and Taiwanese are tougher. Also in Southern California and especially right here in Westminster and Garden Grove we have huge areas where lots of Asian cultures have settled and are now blended. So names and even facile characteristics are mixed. And that's just fine with me.

I'm 90 percent Irish with Swedish, German, Native American, and a French last name; I would never expect anyone to nail down my background.

Maybe someday when we're all blended people will stop being assholes.

I'm starting to agree. Man, you don't want to have to deal with sewer line leaks. If you rent, you'll be able to relax a bit, not deal with your MIL indefinitely, and you can take your time shopping for the perfect house with no pressure to settle for something not exactly perfect.

The problem is almost every home where we would be buying is gonna be close to the same age and most likely the same if not worse problems

I was at a gathering last Sunday, and noticed something a little odd. The host is Chinese, and was very gracious and welcoming. Everyone there spoke English, and yet the host at one point spoke to her adult daughter in Chinese, in front of all the other people.

I couldn't help but feel that her motive was to keep from being understood by everyone else, and that perhaps she was talking about one or more of us to her daughter. Why else would she have switched languages?

She seems to be a lovely lady, and it struck me a little strange. How do you feel about bilingual people using another language in front of people who don't understand it?

I was at a gathering last Sunday, and noticed something a little odd. The host is Chinese, and was very gracious and welcoming. Everyone there spoke English, and yet the host at one point spoke to her adult daughter in Chinese, in front of all the other people.

I couldn't help but feel that her motive was to keep from being understood by everyone else, and that perhaps she was talking about one or more of us to her daughter. Why else would she have switched languages?

She seems to be a lovely lady, and it struck me a little strange. How do you feel about bilingual people using another language in front of people who don't understand it?

I grew up in a polyglot neighborhood. We had Russians, Mexicans, Turks, and more. It was never strange to hear them speak among family in the mother tongue. If ya got it flaunt it, sez I.

In my family we spoke pig Latin.

Sometimes it was a way of dealing with the dual demands of hospitality and limited resources. In my family we had a saying to stretch a meal, "Family hold back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom