::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like being pulled from my class to go with the older classes for math and reading in elementary school.

I refused to skip grades.

I was so adamant on being a "normal" kid that I flunked out of chemistry my senior year for cutting the class so much and didn't graduate on time.

I didn't go to college because I didn't want to have to measure up to other people's expectations.

Really, I was just full of s** and scared of not being able to deliver on all that potential and pretty much pissed it away.

So yeah, I do have a regret or two.

I was put in accelerated math classes starting in junior high because some standardized test indicated I was a math genius. I wasn't, I was just good at taking tests. As I result, I got in waaay over my head as the classes went too fast for me and I never understood anything-- for years. I even had a teacher who complained to me that "your test scores indicate that you should be doing better, so you must not be trying very hard." The truth is, I was trying so hard I wanted to cry, but I just wasn't that good at math.

I was put in accelerated math classes starting in junior high because some standardized test indicated I was a math genius. I wasn't, I was just good at taking tests. As I result, I got in waaay over my head as the classes went too fast for me and I never understood anything-- for years. I even had a teacher who complained to me that "your test scores indicate that you should be doing better, so you must not be trying very hard." The truth is, I was trying so hard I wanted to cry, but I just wasn't that good at math.

I think that's why I score high on IQ tests. That test makes sense to me. Same with tests heavy in physics. I'm not strong in math but the way things work makes sense to me. Music theory becomes much clearer to me when I visions piano and see the keys.

But Freeda's right. I have the attention span of a three year old. If I don't get it immediately, I lose interest.

That sucks about your math experience. I wonder how many kids get tracked like that because of being able to test well?!

Seriously, this lady near me (I'm at a golf course with the team) came over to make sure I was okay.

Blew. Pepsi. Out. Of. My. Nose.

Did that once with Dr Pepper (don't judge). I still remember the number that the carbonation did on my mucus membranes. Oh the pain! Thanks for bringing up one of the few bad memories I had successfully repressed.

Thanks for this. It reminds us teachers to be careful of what we expect. Kids might really be doing their best.

You know that really cute kid you posted a few posts back? Picture him without his dad.

Now STOP EATING COOKIES and take better care of yourself, dammit!!

You, too, Sally! And I mean it!!!!

How are we supposed to live around here if PoHos don't take better care of themselves?! Sheesh!

Agreed. I def don't want to go blind or lose a foot. That would suck.

My trip to Mim's on Friday is in doubt. Stupid gas shortage. I will make a definite decision tomorrow . . . Bummer!

Guess I could still order the one I am eyeing . . .

Not a great day. I took the Jeep into Bloomington yesterday for repair and rented a car to get back, this evening we went to Bloomington, we picked it up on time for Matt's soccer game 25 miles North. After a few miles the brakes start smoking on the right side so we take it back, we sat there for hours, missed the soccer game and in the end had to rent another car to get back and pick up Matt. Most bummed about missing the soccer game, car crap is just part of life.

Sheesh.

Just got home from that golf match. About 15 miles away at the most. 98 minutes to get home.

Not a great day. I took the Jeep into Bloomington yesterday for repair and rented a car to get back, this evening we went to Bloomington, we picked it up on time for Matt's soccer game 25 miles North. After a few miles the brakes start smoking on the right side so we take it back, we sat there for hours, missed the soccer game and in the end had to rent another car to get back and pick up Matt. Most bummed about missing the soccer game, car crap is just part of life.

Bummer, Mike. Car problems are never any fun....

Yep. Pipeline leak has been re-routed now but will be several days before things are back to normal. Many stations here are out of gas. My tank is almost full, but a 3 hour round trip is gonna make a huge dent in it. Not sure there will be gas to refuel when I need to.

Plus the road to Mim's is curvy mountain roads. Not much cruise control usage on that trip.

What to do . . .

It's after 11 pm and I have to get up at 5:30. I guess what to do is go to bed for now . . .

Nighty night, PoHoians!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom