Page 4571 of 4632 FirstFirst ... 357140714471452145614569457045714572457345814621 ... LastLast
Results 45,701 to 45,710 of 46320

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

  1. #45701
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    38,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    People have to have a place to live. How can people just not pay those rent prices but still live in that area?
    San Jose had/has the largest homeless encampment in the US.

    They tore it down and cleaned it out a couple years ago, but it's my understanding that it's back and growing.
    9:23448

    Passionately Untalented

    Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

    Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

  2. #45702
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    PA...just north of Philly
    Posts
    31,053

    Default

    Been getting paid to bs. It's about time.


    "And I play dress up every Sunday and try to make the case for an invisible friend" PereBourik

  3. #45703
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansastan
    Posts
    12,658

    Default

    Getting ready to make chili at church for our annual fundraiser. Love that chili!
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger." "Frequently Asked Questions", Evan Eisenberg, July/August 2006, Atlantic Monthly

    "Never let the lyric get in the way of the groove." Allee Willis, songwriter

    "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." Albert Einstein

  4. #45704
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    38,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Getting ready to make chili at church for our annual fundraiser. Love that chili!
    Can you share recipes?
    9:23448

    Passionately Untalented

    Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

    Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

  5. #45705
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    54,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Getting ready to make chili at church for our annual fundraiser. Love that chili!
    A friend from our old church used to make about 4 different varieties of chili for potlucks, all of them amazing. But my favorite was what he called "Texas Death Breath." As a proper Texas chili there were no beans - just meat and spices. And garlic. And garlic. And garlic. He never would give me the recipe.
    Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

    We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

  6. #45706
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    54,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    A friend from our old church used to make about 4 different varieties of chili for potlucks, all of them amazing. But my favorite was what he called "Texas Death Breath." As a proper Texas chili there were no beans - just meat and spices. And garlic. And garlic. And garlic. He never would give me the recipe.
    On a related note, that church voted last Sunday to close. We were in a great place until an issue of social justice came up and divided the congregation. I said at one point that the devil is in the details, and if a church is being true to its mission then this issue was really just details. Well...the devil was in them, I guess - and the church failed.
    Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

    We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

  7. #45707
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    near Rochester, NY
    Posts
    49,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    People have to have a place to live. How can people just not pay those rent prices but still live in that area?
    Live in outlying areas and commute? I don't know the answer.

    I just know that the rents could not stay at those high levels unless someone was willing to pay them....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

    Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

    "And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

    "Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog


    5:2576

  8. #45708
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    54,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    Live in outlying areas and commute? I don't know the answer.

    I just know that the rents could not stay at those high levels unless someone was willing to pay them....
    The rents in the outlying areas of the Bay Area are hideous too, I believe. Like Gary said, the tech companies have high pay - the property companies price rent accordingly. It's a vicious cycle, but that's what capitalism allows. Unlike concerts and movies and coffee, housing is a basic need that can't just be given up.
    Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

    We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

  9. #45709
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    38,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    The rents in the outlying areas of the Bay Area are hideous too, I believe. Like Gary said, the tech companies have high pay - the property companies price rent accordingly. It's a vicious cycle, but that's what capitalism allows. Unlike concerts and movies and coffee, housing is a basic need that can't just be given up.
    It's even worse than that. The people with money are coming in and offering more than what is being asked and landlords are of course taking it and not renewing existing rental agreements or even evicting people. In SF, all the character of the different districts is being lost to young and wealthy tech workers.
    9:23448

    Passionately Untalented

    Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

    Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

  10. #45710
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    51,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    It just occurred to me that Bill Murray has never been married.
    He's waiting for me. His one very real true love.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 7 guests)

  1. bbycrts,
  2. glass,
  3. gyosh,
  4. mailman

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •