::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pilot is a V6, 280HP and I'm getting about 21-22mpg in mostly stop and go traffic

Nice to know. I'm considering it for my next vehicle purchase, which probably won't be for another 2 years. Not sure if I want a Pilot or something a little smaller like the CR-V.

I was curious so I looked it up.
305 hp, 264 lb ft of torque.
More HP than the V8s in either my Dakota or my Mustang.
Both V8s have an extra helping of torque though, like 50 more so you feel the grunt.

Hey Damon, is there a website or anything where someone could check for local live music when they're visiting? I have a friend of a friend that wants to check out local music when she's there.

She's a friend of a friend so I don't have any more details other than she is also a musician and she plays the ukulele.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/05/04/tgif/music-calendar/

Change date to the Friday needed.
Calendar runs Friday to Thursday.

My Pilot is a V6, 280HP and I'm getting about 21-22mpg in mostly stop and go traffic

My MG might make close to its advertised 98 hp. It weighs half of what the Volvo weighs. It gets 18 mpg on the freeway when it's in good tune. We've come a long way.

We're having company today, and I'll be cooking dinner for the four of us. I'm planning grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts, marinated in brown sugar barbeque sauce. I've already made carrot raisin salad, and have started on the Sunshine Potato Salad.

It has quartered red new potatoes (the little round ones), fresh green beans, chopped yellow bell pepper and red onion, and a tarragon vinegar dressing with garlic and oregano.

Maybe some applesauce as a side dish. I hope they like it....

Last edited:
SUNSHINE POTATO SALAD

10 to 12 new potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), cut into fourths
Tarragon Dressing (below)
3/4 pound green beans
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 medium yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)

Place potatoes and 1/4 cup water in 2-quart microwavable casserole. Cover and microwave on High 10 to 12 minutes, rotating 1/2 turn every 5 minutes, until potatoes are tender; drain. Toss warm potatoes and Tarragon Dressing in large glass or plastic bowl.

Wash beans; remove ends. Place beans in 1 1/2-quart saucepan in 1 inch water (salted, if desired). Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Boil uncovered 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place beans in bowl of ice and water until cool; drain. Cut beans in half if desired.

Toss beans, onion and bell pepper with potato mixture. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours until chilled.

8 servings

TARRAGON DRESSING

1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
1/3 cup tarragon vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Shake all ingredients in tightly covered container.

Last edited:
We like this potato salad either warm or cold, but prefer warm. I make the dressing and prepare all the veggies before cooking the potatoes. Then I'm ready to mix everything as soon as the potatoes are ready, and serve warm.

I'd like to take credit for this recipe, but I can't. I got it out of a Betty Crocker book, years ago.

If you should decide to try it, let me know what you think....

Got mom settled into her new retirement community/ nursing home thingy yesterday. The place is very nice and doesn't smell, it's like a hotel. They have different areas for different levels of care, they have a big cafeteria and also smaller ones, you can buy a lunch of dinner ticket and eat with the resident. She knows a few people who live there. She's still hoping her vision improves and she gets to go home, but it doesn't seem likely.

Got mom settled into her new retirement community/ nursing home thingy yesterday. The place is very nice and doesn't smell, it's like a hotel. They have different areas for different levels of care, they have a big cafeteria and also smaller ones, you can buy a lunch of dinner ticket and eat with the resident. She knows a few people who live there. She's still hoping her vision improves and she gets to go home, but it doesn't seem likely.

Glad to hear that she's okay, and that the transition was relatively smooth....

New owners for the house next door finished moving in this weekend. The previous owners built the neighborhood - literally. Their two sons built every house in the area, with ours being the last one. We loved them dearly and were so sad when they passed.

The new couple seem like wonderful people - older retired couple who moved up here from Santa Cruz to be close to their grandchildren. They've already had our girls over to play while the grandchildren were there. Emma baked them blueberry muffins and took them over when they first started moving in. I love living in a friendly neighborhood and these people will fit right in!

Mrs Pere is also an Episcopal priest. She has done the local annual St Francis Day Blessing of Animals as long as we've been here in Kansas. This year we will be adding a "necrology", remembrance of those pets who have died over the past year.

I went to an Episcopal school in 5th grade. The teachers in our public school in the 5th grade were both kind of awful - one incredibly strict (to the point of corporal punishment, which he could still get away with then) and the other so lax his class was just a party. So my parents threw in the towel and sent me to Oregon Episcopal School instead. I enjoyed it - made good friends, loved the chapel classes (it's where I learned the Apostle's Creed!). At the time the church on campus was also the local cathedral, so special services were full of pomp and I got to participate in the Advent service as the lower school's reader (Isaiah).

Anyway, the priest, Father Paul, was awesome and did an amazing blessing of the animals for the school - it's a fond memory, for sure! The local paper covered the ceremony and I actually was in the picture - my first brush with celebrity.

At the end of the year my parents asked me if I wanted to continue at OES or go back to the public school; I chose public school, as that's where my neighborhood friends all went. Good thing - my 6th grade teacher was probably the best one I ever had. He's still a friend on Facebook.

We're having company today, and I'll be cooking dinner for the four of us. I'm planning grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts, marinated in brown sugar barbeque sauce. I've already made carrot raisin salad, and have started on the Sunshine Potato Salad.

It has quartered red new potatoes (the little round ones), fresh green beans, chopped yellow bell pepper and red onion, and a tarragon vinegar dressing with garlic and oregano.

Maybe some applesauce as a side dish. I hope they like it....

I like it! What time is dinner?

We like this potato salad either warm or cold, but prefer warm. I make the dressing and prepare all the veggies before cooking the potatoes. Then I'm ready to mix everything as soon as the potatoes are ready, and serve warm.

I'd like to take credit for this recipe, but I can't. I got it out of a Betty Crocker book, years ago.

If you should decide to try it, let me know what you think....

It sounds really good, apart from the green beans, which I could put up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom