::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to double over time in basketball again but lost in sudden death when a kid heaved a hook shot and the damn thing went in. Good for him!! It was his only basket.

James had another great game. Joining this team has been great for his confidence. He scored another 19 points today and drilled a 3-pointer with six seconds left to send the game to overtime. It was a pretty cool moment for him, there was a little pause in there when he shot it, that the gym went silent and then erupted when his shot snapped the net.

Feels really good when your kid does well.

So jealous, I was just thinking of soccer season.

I still get the idea to call mom sometimes to tell her something, then it's like, oh yeah, that part of my life is over.

I don't do that very much. I do a lot of "oh, I wish mom could see this." But at my nieces' dance recital, I was caught quite off guard when I thought "oh, I wonder if mom's here yet?" That was pretty soon after and it just hit me like a bag of bricks.

Someone said it's like losing your compass and that is the most resonant reference I've yet been given.

I also think it's interesting that now that she is gone, I am ... ready? not ready but have no choice? processing a lot of trauma stuff from my past. One of mom's highest values was someone who could be "a brick" in crisis, so maybe I don't have to do that anymore? Or *can't* do that anymore? Maybe I've lost my capacity for stoicism? Or maybe she was the foundation for my walls that made life manageable? It's like, she died, I grieved, there was a little pause, and then all this crap came roaring back from other stuff. I'm a hot mess over here.

Therapy and work today, in that order.

Sounds like a grim day. I should add in some tacos. Tacos make everything better. #thisiswhyimfat

I'm cleaning out the middle bedroom. Again.

In an effort to keep it from re-cluttering, I am going to try turning it into a music room. I have furniture I can put in there, and just kind of gather everything in one spot. I have my ukes hanging on a living room wall but I think it looks pretty cluttered. This will keep everything tidy.

If the kids wind up moving home (stepkid, baby, babydaddy), that room will become a nursery, so I don't want to have to go at it with a shovel when the time comes. Tidy now, easy later.

Some people call me the thread killer, yeah
Some call me the killer of fun
Some people call me Freeda

Ok, I just learned that the next lyric in The Joker contains the word "Pompitous". WTF?

Some people call me the thread killer, yeah
Some call me the killer of fun
Some people call me Freeda

Ok, I just learned that the next lyric in The Joker contains the word "Pompitous". WTF?

Pompatus (/ˈpɒmpətəs/) is a nonsense word coined by Steve Miller and most famously used in his 1973 hit single "The Joker". The word was inspired by a similar nonsense word, sometimes transliterated as "puppetutes," in the 1954 song "The Letter" by The Medallions.

---Wikipedia

I don't do that very much. I do a lot of "oh, I wish mom could see this." But at my nieces' dance recital, I was caught quite off guard when I thought "oh, I wonder if mom's here yet?" That was pretty soon after and it just hit me like a bag of bricks.

Someone said it's like losing your compass and that is the most resonant reference I've yet been given.

I also think it's interesting that now that she is gone, I am ... ready? not ready but have no choice? processing a lot of trauma stuff from my past. One of mom's highest values was someone who could be "a brick" in crisis, so maybe I don't have to do that anymore? Or *can't* do that anymore? Maybe I've lost my capacity for stoicism? Or maybe she was the foundation for my walls that made life manageable? It's like, she died, I grieved, there was a little pause, and then all this crap came roaring back from other stuff. I'm a hot mess over here.

When my dad died years ago, I described it as having my mooring lines cut. I felt like I was suddenly adrift at sea.

Even the home grown ones?

Actually, I haven't had any really, really good tomatoes in a while. I saved seeds from a plant I had a few years back that was very sweet and very tasty but I haven't planted a garden since then so I don't know if they'll be as good. It seems like even the varieties you plant at home are getting more and more bland or my memories are just better than my realities.

It's likely seeds from a tomato you grew won't produce the same kind of tomatoes - seems like most tomato plants available are hybrids, and seeds from hybrids don't give the same results as their parents.

Even the home grown ones?

Actually, I haven't had any really, really good tomatoes in a while. I saved seeds from a plant I had a few years back that was very sweet and very tasty but I haven't planted a garden since then so I don't know if they'll be as good. It seems like even the varieties you plant at home are getting more and more bland or my memories are just better than my realities.

And...home-grown fresh tomatoes are the worst of all. The more flavor, the more gag-inducing. My dad was famous for his home-grown tomatoes. All summer long every year I would have a small bowl of fresh tomatoes as part of our dinner. My summer nightmare.

My dream is to see wild donkeys; cuz, you know, donkeys are my spirit animal. Been going to Bog Island for 30+ years and haven't seen one yet. There are goats galore.

I was not aware they existed, but totally makes sense.
I wonder if you might have better luck on Molokai?

My buddy that smokes all the time swears by Kingsford Charcoal.

He says it burns at a lower temp and he can control the heat better. But he has an offset firebox smoker and I think it has a blower too. I haven't tried it in my Akorn but I can't see it being any better than lump charcoal for what I have.

I can keep my Akorn at 200 for 12 hours with lump charcoal. Your buddy may smoke all the time, but it sounds like he may be a little lacking in technical ability.

When I was a kid, we'd have sliced tomatoes with most meals during the summer.

A stack of wonderbread and butter all year, at my grandparents' house.

I think I'm going to be sick. (the tomatoes, not the Wonder bread.)

That's a pretty unbelievable price and in Kahala too.

It makes me kind of suspicious because Kahala is a super rich area. Here's a snippet from the always accurate internet: The median home value in Waialae-Kahala is $1,541,000.

I'm guessing that's a partial ownership.

That's a pretty unbelievable price and in Kahala too.

It makes me kind of suspicious because Kahala is a super rich area. Here's a snippet from the always accurate internet: The median home value in Waialae-Kahala is $1,541,000.

There has to be a catch, next to a pig farm?, super-fund site nearby?, atomic termites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom