::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably my best celebrity encounter, obviously a long time ago:

attachment.php

Wow. I'm humbled. He's a legend.

I've already mentioned my meeting with Sgt Preston of the Yukon and his dog King so it doesn't really count.

I worked at a theatre during college, and also did some acting at the same theatre, so I met a lot of actors in passing. One night while we were in dress rehearsals for a show in the small theatre space, they were honoring Grace Kelly in the large space. I was backstage hobnobbing with Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, and Princess Grace herself (surrounded by Secret Service as a visiting head of state). A nice older lady watched some of our dress rehearsal and chatted with us about our plans for acting. We didn't know her, but she turned out to be actress Celeste Holm. James Stewart was actually at that event, but was always surrounded by people and I didn't meet him that night-- I met him about a year later when the gala was in his honor.

I only wish we had camera phones back then-- I'd have some awesome selfies.

How about Desmond Tutu? I've met him.

It all counts!!!

I originally started dropping names of every celeb I met because another member would always reply with a fantastical story to top mine. I have actually met all these people but most in passing or getting to have a brief conversation. I did get to pal around with Ronnie Lott for a few years so I met a ton of sports celebrities because of him.

Right place, right time and jobs that put me in a position to meet them.

I have this photo of me at Tony Trischka's banjo camp:

View attachment 103651

You know what's weird is I've never been an autograph hound. All the sports memorabilia I had I sent to a friend who collects the stuff. The only thing I have left is two baseballs, one signed by Gaylord Perry and the other signed by Nolan Ryan and a 49er Jacket given to me by Ronnie Lott. His book, Heavy Hitter is filled with stories that I got to witness first hand so I think that's pretty cool.

So now I'm listening to Linkin Park. Wasn't really familiar with their music except for their big hits. Their lyrics are much deeper than I would have given them credit for.

Too bad Chester could not get his crap together.

Sukie, Myrna and I got on an elevator with a musician who was in town for SF Jazzfest. Sukie blurted out "Should I know you? Are you famous?" and I almost burst out laughing. It was pretty funny. And then about 30 minutes later I was hanging out with Mike Mulqueen of Moku Ukuleles and we met Boyd Tinsley when he came to buy a uke, two actually. I didn't know who he was but Mike told me.
Wasn't he the cutest? Man.
Anyway...while sitting at the airport I figured I try to google him. I found him!!! His name is Christian McBride. 5 Grammy wins. And a bunch of other stuff. Myrna and I ran into him Monday morning, too. And again I said hi.

I worked at a theatre during college, and also did some acting at the same theatre, so I met a lot of actors in passing. One night while we were in dress rehearsals for a show in the small theatre space, they were honoring Grace Kelly in the large space. I was backstage hobnobbing with Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, and Princess Grace herself (surrounded by Secret Service as a visiting head of state). A nice older lady watched some of our dress rehearsal and chatted with us about our plans for acting. We didn't know her, but she turned out to be actress Celeste Holm. James Stewart was actually at that event, but was always surrounded by people and I didn't meet him that night-- I met him about a year later when the gala was in his honor.

***Thunk***

Wasn't he the cutest? Man.
Anyway...while sitting at the airport I figured I try to google him. I found him!!! His name is Christian McBride. 5 Grammy wins. And a bunch of other stuff. Myrna and I ran into him Monday morning, too. And again I said hi.

That's cool. You have to figure that if he was invited to sit in with a bunch of bands for the SF Jazzfest weekend he had to be pretty good and well-respected in the jazz community.

Still cool memories.

My name dropping here started out as a way to instigate but it is really cool to look back and remember.

It all counts!!!

I originally started dropping names of every celeb I met because another member would always reply with a fantastical story to top mine. I have actually met all these people but most in passing or getting to have a brief conversation. I did get to pal around with Ronnie Lott for a few years so I met a ton of sports celebrities because of him.

Right place, right time and jobs that put me in a position to meet them.

At the time we were both Third Order Franciscans (he's moved on). I had him bless my profession cross. He did it is Swahili. He may have been saying, "Will someone please get this dipstick away from me?" But he has awfully nice manners.

Last edited:
The kids are making pizza today.

I keep catching one kid sniffing the dough, not just casually smelling it to see what it smells like. She's like obsessed with the smell or something. It's very weird. Like I almost want to call the school counselor weird.

The kids are making pizza today.

I keep catching one kid sniffing the dough, not just casually smelling it to see what it smells like. She's like obsessed with the smell or something. It's very weird. Like I almost want to call the school counselor weird.

I love the smell of yeast dough. It smells so earthy.

Rafe Report:

Fri: Basketball practice (tournament team), we miss his league team practice because they're at the same time
Sat: 12:30 first of three games for a Jamboree; League practice at 8:00pm; I have to fit a team for uniforms at 9:00pm
Sun: Basketball League team pictures at 5:00; clean the house in the morning
Mon:No school; catch up on correcting papers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom