::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the "not fun stuff" part of being an adult. Hugs to you and your siblings.

Apparently, my one notorious sister has been going through the house, squirreling stuff away when others aren't around for later resale. Half expecting eyes to be turned onto what little I want just because I want it. Mom is doing better physically and mentally over the past few days, but that has only made her decide she can go back home. Anybody want my beercan collection from the 70's?

Apparently, my one notorious sister has been going through the house, squirreling stuff away when others aren't around for later resale. Half expecting eyes to be turned onto what little I want just because I want it. Mom is doing better physically and mentally over the past few days, but that has only made her decide she can go back home. Anybody want my beercan collection from the 70's?

Oh dear. Is she in a long term care facility already or will you have to move her?

Yesterday I went to the Kauai Coffee Co. and was talking with a woman that works there, I think she might be one of the owners, when another woman interrupted us with (in a condescending tone) "Don't you have anything organic here?"

"No. There's really no such thing as organic coffee."

(Condescending laughter) "Really? Because I'm a coffee farmer from the Big Island and we grow organic."

"Oh. Where is your farm?"

"Holualoa" (she pronounced this hula-aloha)

"I love that area of Kona. We spray the berries once and the reason I said there's no such thing as organic is because it's common practice because any insecticide never reaches the actual bean. It gets shucked off and even then it would get burned off in the roasting."

"Well, what about the soil?" (Still condescending and in a "gotcha" sort of way)

"Our insecticide has a 10 day half life. (I have no idea if she was BSing her at this point but you could tell she knew this woman knew nothing about coffee) What type of coffee do you grow?"

"Arabica" (Air-uh-beak-uh)

"Oh yes. Arabica beans are great. (She corrected the pronounciation without any hint of snobbiness). Do you grow anything else like robusta?"

"Part of our farm is dedicated to robusta but only a small portion."

At this point a could see a little smirk on the Saleswomans face and the other woman's voice was definitely hesitant now. When she walked away the sales lady offhandedly said "I guess she meant Hulahula, Africa." And then let me in on the fact that robusta is only grown in a few places in the world and Hawaii wasn't one of them. She said she gets people like that all the time. I asked why she doesn't call them out and she said then they wouldn't buy anything :).

She also said talking to them and making them feel awkward when they get trapped in their lie is much more fun.

So basically, yesterday, I became a fan of Kauai Coffee. That lady was awesome!

Hope you're able to stay above the fray Mike.

Watching all of my cousins lay claim to my great-uncle's stuff while he was alive and standing there was a real eye-opener for me. My own relatives acting that way made me feel really sad. I hope you stay strong. And I hope your mom continues feeling better.

Oh dear. Is she in a long term care facility already or will you have to move her?

They/We moved her into a rehab/nursing home after she left the hospital with the optimistic idea that she would go home once she could function on her own, but mom was the only one that didn't understand that was just wishful thinking. The siblings have been planning on selling the house for months, the whole thing kind of sucks, all her life's savings is going to her care for the last year(s) of her life. It's sad.

Oh, and that coffee lady set me up with a subscription deal where I'll only get peaberry every month instead of the "coffee of the month"

Hey Jon, you were saying earlier that "Kona" coffee could only truly come from Kona.

Is that like a Bordeaux wine? It's still a Cabernet grape but since it's from that region of France they can call it Bordeaux?

The reason I ask is because they also had a "Kauai Blue Mountain" (that I liked better than the peaberry) and the lady said it's the blue mountain varietal, grown in Kauai instead of Jamaica.

Is coffee like grapes and wine in that sense?

They/We moved her into a rehab/nursing home after she left the hospital with the optimistic idea that she would go home once she could function on her own, but mom was the only one that didn't understand that was just wishful thinking. The siblings have been planning on selling the house for months, the whole thing kind of sucks, all her life's savings is going to her care for the last year(s) of her life. It's sad.

That does suck. My dad is adamant that doesn't happen to him. To the point he once told me "you're smart, you figure out a way to keep that from happening without getting caught."

He was serious.

Oh, and that coffee lady set me up with a subscription deal where I'll only get peaberry every month instead of the "coffee of the month"

Hey Jon, you were saying earlier that "Kona" coffee could only truly come from Kona.

Is that like a Bordeaux wine? It's still a Cabernet grape but since it's from that region of France they can call it Bordeaux?

The reason I ask is because they also had a "Kauai Blue Mountain" (that I liked better than the peaberry) and the lady said it's the blue mountain varietal, grown in Kauai instead of Jamaica.

Is coffee like grapes and wine in that sense?

Pretty much. Kona coffee refers to the location where it was grown, not the varietal - like Champagne or Bordeaux. They're all arabica beans, of course, but there could be any number of varietals coming out of Kona and they would all be called Kona coffee because of the cachet of the name. Varietals I know of include typica, bourbon, catuai, caturra, mokka. Bourbons have always been my favorites, regardless of where they're grown, though I tend to like coffee from Indonesia and Central America the best.

The "blue mountain" coffees are those that are sourced from Jamaican plants (as I understand it) but grown in other regions. There is a Bali Blue Moon that is supposedly from the same source as JBM - it's pretty good, though I kind of find that Jamaican coffee isn't my favorite (it is very balanced in flavor, which is great - but I tend to like my coffee a bit darker and earthier like you get from Sumatra).

I don't know if Blue Mountain is a true varietal so much as it is coffee sourced from trees that had their origins in Jamaica - I just don't know if Jamaica tends to stick with a single variety or if it's like Kona - any varietal that is grown in the Jamaica Blue Mountain growing area gets that name.

Full or empty? I'm assuming empty . . .:p

Pretty much. Kona coffee refers to the location where it was grown, not the varietal - like Champagne or Bordeaux. They're all arabica beans, of course, but there could be any number of varietals coming out of Kona and they would all be called Kona coffee because of the cachet of the name. Varietals I know of include typica, bourbon, catuai, caturra, mokka. Bourbons have always been my favorites, regardless of where they're grown, though I tend to like coffee from Indonesia and Central America the best.

The "blue mountain" coffees are those that are sourced from Jamaican plants (as I understand it) but grown in other regions. There is a Bali Blue Moon that is supposedly from the same source as JBM - it's pretty good, though I kind of find that Jamaican coffee isn't my favorite (it is very balanced in flavor, which is great - but I tend to like my coffee a bit darker and earthier like you get from Sumatra).

I don't know if Blue Mountain is a true varietal so much as it is coffee sourced from trees that had their origins in Jamaica - I just don't know if Jamaica tends to stick with a single variety or if it's like Kona - any varietal that is grown in the Jamaica Blue Mountain growing area gets that name.

There are also several ways of processing the coffee beans before they're packed, and the processing methods can have a big impact on the flavor of the roasted coffee. One thing I do like about the Jamaica-style beans is they are very very clean - very little chaff in my roaster. I have a bag of the Bali Blue Moon at home and they are some of the nicest of all to roast because they're so clean. I think part of the Jamaica-style thing is the processing, too. I splurged on a pound of JBM for UWC 5 and they were as wonderful to roast as the Balis.

Coffee from Central Africa can be really great too - I had a big thing for a particular variety from Burundi that was fantastic. Subsequent years from that source haven't been quite as rich, though.

(((Mike and family)))

Thanks.

I obviously didn't stick around for the lecture/tour :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom