::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not like the flavor of salmon?

I wonder if you would like miso-yaki salmon. Sweet-ish with a little touch of salty with lots of umami. It's marinaded and the "salmon" flavor is non existent IMO.

I. LOATHE. Salmon.

Do you not like the flavor of salmon?

I wonder if you would like miso-yaki salmon. Sweet-ish with a little touch of salty with lots of umami. It's marinaded and the "salmon" flavor is non existent IMO.

I'm not a fan of salmon either. Oddly I like salmon skin fried crispy though.

I must say that my Pono is all I really NEED. It ticks all the boxes - solid Hawaiian Koa wood, excellent craftsmanship, tone, playability - I am very fortunate to have it.
My six-string is also indispensable. I must have that.

All other ukuleles I have beyond those are just gravy.

Which brings me to what I WANT. Of course, I want (in no particular order)
A Moore Bettah. Because Chuck Moore.
A Ko`olau. Because I love my Pono, and hope to support the parent company and get a Hawaiian-made example of the same thing.
A Louis Feu de Mesquita selmer-style - because I just want one, and after playing one, I want one even more.
Note, a Beau Hannam selmer style is an acceptable alternative. I like Beau and his stuff.
A Compass Rose. Because of Rick Turner's connection to the Grateful Dead, and I just like the instruments as well. Hmmm, maybe a redwood and cocobolo 5-string tenor? :D

Conspicuously absent from the list are what many people aspire to - A Kamaka, Kanile`a, KoAloha (Sceptre!), DeVine, the list goes on...
I like all those ukuleles, but if I never own one, no big deal.
I would love a six-string Kamaka tenor, but it is not necessary.
I would also love that Rebel Elysium six-string, or that Maui Music six-string I played at HMS. But I don't NEED them.

I think only the Ko'olau would be on my list because of John, Andrew and Noah.

I actually really like the uke I made. It's not pretty, but I like the sound . . and I MADE IT! At some point I will get some tools and shave down the neck so it isn't so deep but whatevs. I might even sand it down all over again and send it to Adam Starkk for finishing.

I keep trying to like salmon, it LOOKS good, everyone always says how mild the flavor is, but to me it is too fishy. I keep tasting other people's plates, especially when someone raves about how yummy their salmon is,
and NOPE.

Only once I had salmon and actually enjoyed it very much. It was at Morimoto, and it was raw (sashimi). I asked a chef about why did I like this and he replied, "Maybe you just only like fish raw." I asked if that was a thing, and he replied definitely, he has it himself!
I think it is true because I love poke, sushi, sashimi but not much cooked fish.

Cooked brings out the oils and it definitely taste "fishier" than when raw. I think Salmon has a fishy flavor, but the good kind of fishy, not the fish going bad or not fresh fishy.

(that could very well be one of the weirdest sentences I've ever typed)

Cooked brings out the oils and it definitely taste "fishier" than when raw. I think Salmon has a fishy flavor, but the good kind of fishy, not the fish going bad or not fresh fishy.

(that could very well be one of the weirdest sentences I've ever typed)

It's not that it's a fishy fish. I like fishier fish like mackerel and croaker just fine. It often tastes muddy and has a weird aftertaste to me. It's not just the farmed stuff. I've been served fresh ocean caught salmon plenty of times and most of the time I haven't liked it.

I must say that my Pono is all I really NEED. It ticks all the boxes - solid Hawaiian Koa wood, excellent craftsmanship, tone, playability - I am very fortunate to have it.
My six-string is also indispensable. I must have that.

All other ukuleles I have beyond those are just gravy.

Which brings me to what I WANT. Of course, I want (in no particular order)
A Moore Bettah. Because Chuck Moore.
A Ko`olau. Because I love my Pono, and hope to support the parent company and get a Hawaiian-made example of the same thing.
A Louis Feu de Mesquita selmer-style - because I just want one, and after playing one, I want one even more.
Note, a Beau Hannam selmer style is an acceptable alternative. I like Beau and his stuff.
A Compass Rose. Because of Rick Turner's connection to the Grateful Dead, and I just like the instruments as well. Hmmm, maybe a redwood and cocobolo 5-string tenor? :D

Conspicuously absent from the list are what many people aspire to - A Kamaka, Kanile`a, KoAloha (Sceptre!), DeVine, the list goes on...
I like all those ukuleles, but if I never own one, no big deal.
I would love a six-string Kamaka tenor, but it is not necessary.
I would also love that Rebel Elysium six-string, or that Maui Music six-string I played at HMS. But I don't NEED them.

I like your list. And your "not necessaries". My Beau uke pretty much slayed my desire for other ukes, and I rarely play the others in the stable now. I could deal 6 and not miss them. Though the KoAloha l/n pineapple is the last I'd get deal. Here's the order in which they'd go:
Martin T1K
Martin C1K
Cocobolo Concert
Martin T2K
KoAlana Concert sapele (one of the early ones from the batch with the cracking problems. This one is solid.)
KoAloha l/n pineapple

The keepers:
Hannam Tenor
KoAloha Tenor 6-string
Pono ATD
Clara
Imua concert
(Of this list the Hannam would get 75% of the playing.)

Today I'm going the lazy route for dinner. I'm heating up a bunch of frozen chicken nuggets and frozen curly fries. I'll probably serve it with peas from the freezer or canned green beans. :p

I don't think I'm made this for dinner since the kids were little. Bri wanted chicken nuggets and I don't feel like making them from scratch.

I often wonder about the actual safety of the children today vs. when I was a kid.
Is it really more dangerous than it was? Or is it just the media sensationalizing everything?
Are there actual statistics to back up the fears?
Just like you see those things on facebook or whatever, like how we would drink from the hose and no one actually died from this.
Now I understand, with the severe allergy that is a little scary, but really, truly, are the children at risk?
I took the school bus, and I walked by myself to the stop and back home every day by myself, I have memory of doing this since first grade.
Now, we did live in a gated community in Newport Beach, so that counts for A LOT, but I was also able to ride my bike to school by myself starting in 5th or sixth grade (6th grade for sure - I don't remember for sure if I could in 5th grade).
I am searching my memory banks - I totally remember locking my bike in the bike rack at Elementary School, and that only went to 6th grade.
School was 1.4 miles away and across PCH.
I also rode my bike to school in 7th grade (different school) and in High School. Ironically, the ride to Elementary school was the longest ride.
Sure we learned about stranger danger etc. and I know it was Newport Beach, not East LA or Compton, but hey we were still on our own, unsupervised, with no cell phones, and no one I know had anything bad happen to them.
I think I got my bike stolen once, in 7th grade. I had to walk home that day.

I'm happy with the ukes I have. If I ever win the lotto, maybe I'd have Kerry Char build one for me. He made some for a Hawaiian festival that were gorgeous.

Today I'm going the lazy route for dinner. I'm heating up a bunch of frozen chicken nuggets and frozen curly fries. I'll probably serve it with peas from the freezer or canned green beans. :p

I don't think I'm made this for dinner since the kids were little. Bri wanted chicken nuggets and I don't feel like making them from scratch.

I make up chicken strips and put it in ranch dressing with extra packet of ranch in a packet mixed with it. Then I crush up some potato chips and use that as the breading...it is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I tried to explain to my MIL today I walked home in Staten Island in 1st grade? I went to school and back for lunch and back to school everyday. Nothing happened to me.

the best was even as I got older in Middle school I used to ride my bike at least 5 miles or more to friends houses. It was a lot of country riding but still I had no supervision. I remember once I rode all the way out to this mental hospital and people used to escape all the time. Im still here.

I often wonder about the actual safety of the children today vs. when I was a kid.
Is it really more dangerous than it was? Or is it just the media sensationalizing everything?
Are there actual statistics to back up the fears?
Just like you see those things on facebook or whatever, like how we would drink from the hose and no one actually died from this.
Now I understand, with the severe allergy that is a little scary, but really, truly, are the children at risk?
I took the school bus, and I walked by myself to the stop and back home every day by myself, I have memory of doing this since first grade.
Now, we did live in a gated community in Newport Beach, so that counts for A LOT, but I was also able to ride my bike to school by myself starting in 5th or sixth grade (6th grade for sure - I don't remember for sure if I could in 5th grade).
I am searching my memory banks - I totally remember locking my bike in the bike rack at Elementary School, and that only went to 6th grade.
School was 1.4 miles away and across PCH.
I also rode my bike to school in 7th grade (different school) and in High School. Ironically, the ride to Elementary school was the longest ride.
Sure we learned about stranger danger etc. and I know it was Newport Beach, not East LA or Compton, but hey we were still on our own, unsupervised, with no cell phones, and no one I know had anything bad happen to them.
I think I got my bike stolen once, in 7th grade. I had to walk home that day.

Statistcally children are safer overall than they used to be. One could make a case that it's due to parents taking extra safety measures. However the paranoia surrounding kids' safety is getting out of hand in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom