::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although we missed most of the winter weather while we were away, it apparently isn't over yet. We're expecting accumulations of up to a half an inch of ice this afternoon and evening.

Knowing that, well in advance, be assured there will still be idiots out there driving around in it. It never fails....

Most of the bad weather has been going North or South of us. It's been cooler than the average temp for quite a while.

Although we missed most of the winter weather while we were away, it apparently isn't over yet. We're expecting accumulations of up to a half an inch of ice this afternoon and evening.

Knowing that, well in advance, be assured there will still be idiots out there driving around in it. It never fails....

Hmm gonna be 80 here in Philly

So I got a 14lb turkey gonna grill it tomorrow. Any suggestions from the smokers here?? Gonna use drip pan with charcoal on outsides if it but that's about as much as I know

So I got a 14lb turkey gonna grill it tomorrow. Any suggestions from the smokers here?? Gonna use drip pan with charcoal on outsides if it but that's about as much as I know

Low and slow. Keep your heat between 250-300. Make a paste of 1/2 pound of butter and spices (dried onions, garlic powder, sage, salt and pepper) and smear both cavities and under the skin with it. The skin will pull away from the carcass, pack the butter paste in there. Put chunks of onion, oranges, and apples in both cavities. Place turkey in a pan (a pan you don’t mind ruined, I use an old cookie sheet with raised edges and line it with heavy foil). Once on the grill I add chicken broth to the pan and tent the entire bird with heavy foil. Make sure foil is tented over bird not touching skin. Watch your heat, you want to cook it slow to almost 165 but not quite. When finished remove tent to brown if it need it, then remove from fire and let the bird rest 20 minutes before cutting. It should just about fall off the bone. Toss the fruit and onion chunks.

This is the only way I’ll do a turkey anymore. It’s soooooo good.

Low and slow. Keep your heat between 250-300. Make a paste of 1/2 pound of butter and spices (dried onions, garlic powder, sage, salt and pepper) and smear both cavities and under the skin with it. The skin will pull away from the carcass, pack the butter paste in there. Put chunks of onion, oranges, and apples in both cavities. Place turkey in a pan (a pan you don’t mind ruined, I use an old cookie sheet with raised edges and line it with heavy foil). Once on the grill I add chicken broth to the pan and tent the entire bird with heavy foil. Make sure foil is tented over bird not touching skin. Watch your heat, you want to cook it slow to almost 165 but not quite. When finished remove tent to brown if it need it, then remove from fire and let the bird rest 20 minutes before cutting. It should just about fall off the bone. Toss the fruit and onion chunks.

This is the only way I’ll do a turkey anymore. It’s soooooo good.

I also did a brine last night and rinsed it this am and it's sitting now with some herbs and stuff until I cook it tomorrow. I read that will also allow the skin to dry a little for super crispy skin.

I also did a brine last night and rinsed it this am and it's sitting now with some herbs and stuff until I cook it tomorrow. I read that will also allow the skin to dry a little for super crispy skin.

It’s going to be soooo tasty!

I wonder if mymarket has fresh turkeys...

Kenvin, cram butter under the skin....it makes it soooo moist and juicy.

IMG_5785.jpg

It's a blizzard. The airport is closed, it's that bad. My depression grows by the minute.
Sorry the photo is sideways.

Drove to Kaneohe for an oil change this morning. Rain on the Windward side. The Ko'olau mountains had Misty tops and lots of little waterfalls in the crags, beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom