::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooking Thanksgiving dinner in an unfamiliar kitchen should be interesting. I'm sure she must have all the stuff we'll need in the way of pots and pans and stuff. I think I'll take my own potato masher, though. I'm not sure if she uses one....

I just decided I'm going to make some kalua pork for Thanksgiving :)

Kalua Pork w/cabbage
Mashed potatoes
potatoes au gratin shall be my contribution.

. . . and maybe a small smoked turkey. Might keep the turkey to ourselves since there never seems to be enough leftover turkey.

My family is skipping Thanksgiving this year, everyone is stressed over my mom and nobody wants to be around my oldest sister. Looks like we are going up the road for an informal and non traditional Cajun' Thanksgiving party at a friends house.

I've always wanted to build an imu in our back yard. Given this is Oregon (wet) and we have heavy clay soil (doesn't drain well) I think I'd have to do some kind of above-ground box or something - fill it with sand and make sure it's big enough to keep the heat in. But it would be so cool do do REAL kalua pig.

I've always wanted to build an imu in our back yard. Given this is Oregon (wet) and we have heavy clay soil (doesn't drain well) I think I'd have to do some kind of above-ground box or something - fill it with sand and make sure it's big enough to keep the heat in. But it would be so cool do do REAL kalua pig.

If I were going to all that trouble it would have to be a whole pig every time.

Can you get banana leaves in your area? Maybe in an Asian market? You can do the same thing in your akorn without all the trouble.

But yeah, I get it. That would be COOL!

Can you get banana leaves in your area? Maybe in an Asian market? You can do the same thing in your akorn without all the trouble.

But the trouble is what makes it so right! Heck, we can approximate a decent kalua pig in a crock pot - but having the imu is what would make it fabulous.

Oh, and I think I've heard that banana leaves are available around here if you know where to look. I've heard of people using ti leaves with good results as well. We have a neighbor with a banana tree (doesn't produce bananas - it's a variety from Northern Asia with a climate similar to ours, I think). I wonder if they would miss leaves...

I am so pissed at my class right now.

Our school does a canned food drive every year and we supply something like 80% of the local shelter's needs over the holidays. I just point out to my class that we have zero points because there has been zero contributions and they cheered. They CHEERED!

It's you-can-hear-a-pin-drop quiet in my class. And I don't plan on talking to them for the entirety of this class. The last thing I said to them was "I hope you have a very happy and content thanksgiving contemplating all you have, because others have nothing and you just laughed about it, assholes."

Most of the time I love them, but sometimes I really dislike these kids.

Oh, and I think I've heard that banana leaves are available around here if you know where to look. I've heard of people using ti leaves with good results as well. We have a neighbor with a banana tree (doesn't produce bananas - it's a variety from Northern Asia with a climate similar to ours, I think). I wonder if they would miss leaves...

My friend does an imu in his backyard using cinderblocks instead of digging a hole. Huge fire with lump charcoal and then he has a bunch of large river rocks he throws on top, then pig, banana leaves, burlap and then sand. PITA to clean up afterwards but the party is always fun.

Our school does a canned food drive every year and we supply something like 80% of the local shelter's needs over the holidays. I just point out to my class that we have zero points because there has been zero contributions and they cheered. They CHEERED!

It's you-can-hear-a-pin-drop quiet in my class. And I don't plan on talking to them for the entirety of this class. The last thing I said to them was "I hope you have a very happy and content thanksgiving contemplating all you have, because others have nothing and you just laughed about it, assholes."

See if the shelter needs volunteers. I remember having to deliver food to needy families during the holidays (because we had a food fight in the cafeteria), it was an eye opener.

See if the shelter needs volunteers. I remember having to deliver food to needy families during the holidays (because we had a food fight in the cafeteria), it was an eye opener.

I have no way to make them do something like that. The kids that would go voluntarily are the ones that weren't laughing.

Terrible response from the kids. Awesome response from you. Thank you.

My friend does an imu in his backyard using cinderblocks instead of digging a hole. Huge fire with lump charcoal and then he has a bunch of large river rocks he throws on top, then pig, banana leaves, burlap and then sand. PITA to clean up afterwards but the party is always fun.

That's pretty much what I have in mind - thanks! I don't know if we'll ever do it, but I hope so...some day...

I have no way to make them do something like that. The kids that would go voluntarily are the ones that weren't laughing.

I suppose it's too late, but any way to make a little community service like Mike's suggesting a requirement to pass the class?

Terrible response from the kids. Awesome response from you. Thank you.

I'll get a parent calling in to complain that I called their kid an asshole.

I've got twenty years in.

I probably won't even hear about the call (I just know it happens from the secretaries)

I suppose it's too late, but any way to make a little community service like Mike's suggesting a requirement to pass the class?

No but you guys have my gears turning about how to make something like that a part of the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom