::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sock yarn? Sock yarn?

Once upon a time there was a pair of socks. They went their separate ways. One ended up homeless, one ended up in a church. They eventually met up again, and each learned that there are different ways to become holy.
The end.

Once upon a time there was a pair of socks. They went their separate ways. One ended up homeless, one ended up in a church. They eventually met up again, and each learned that there are different ways to become holy.
The end.

:D

Motel tators

I Feel old.

I got an email from Swatch with a YouTube link to a video explaining mechanical watches. No battery!

Modern pens almost all use either cartridge ink, or converters, which are like refillable cartridges that allow you to use bottled ink. A small number are piston-fills, which means the ink goes directly into the body of the pen. Vintage pens have a wide variety of fill systems, the most common being the lever pen; the pen has a rubber bladder inside, and lifting a small lever pushes all the air out of it, and then releasing the lever draws ink into it.

Will I be looked down upon if I go with cartridges? Seems like the most convenient to me.

And thank you for the information.

Here's a nice photo of a Parker Vacumatic to finish off the mini.

ParkerVacumaticBlue80001.jpg

Is that a "fine"?

I don't like cartridges even a little. Like McDonald's drive-through, I'll only use them if there's nothing else available.

Agree on capacity with converters. One fill is about enough for a week at work, so I've made it a habit to flush n fill on Monday mornings. I like the ritual, honestly.

So, no on cartridges?

Will I be looked down upon if I go with cartridges? Seems like the most convenient to me.

You should use whatever you like. First of all, there is no pen police that I'm aware of, and second, nobody can really see what type of fill system you're using anyway.

The biggest plus of cartridges is that you can have a box of cartridges with you, and if your pen runs dry, you can swap in a new cartridge in about two seconds. Filling with a bottle takes a bit longer, and requires you to have a bottle handy. So cartridges definitely have the convenience factor.

I find cartridges do not have the same quality of inkflow as a good converter (and it's all about inkflow for me). They are expensive and wasteful compared to bottled ink (they cost more per fill and you throw away a used cartridge every time). I also find that if you don't use your pen regularly, cartridges are included to dry out.

With that being said, one of the first things I bought when I started with fountain pens was a Diamine cartridge sampler pack-- a great way to try out a lot of different colors without investing in full bottles of ink.

Last edited:
Holy cow!

There are quite a few methods to fill pens!

Yes, but they are all basically the same concept-- create a vacuum in order to suck ink into the pen. The benefit of the modern converter system is that it's easy to completely disassemble the pen and see what you're doing, you can see how much ink is in the converter, there are a minimum of moving parts, and converters are easy to replace if they go bad (which is rare).

Yes. Condescension will follow. They are only convenient before you actually write. Once you start consuming their contents they become bothersome and an impediment to the pen's good function.

Ignore Rich's words at your peril.

Yes. Condescension will follow. They are only convenient before you actually write. Once you start consuming their contents they become bothersome and an impediment to the pen's good function.

Ignore Rich's words at your peril.

I use cartridge pens...even for calligraphy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom