::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the Opio line. I have played several and always been impressed. My favorite import Hawaiian brand (if that makes sense) is Pono, but those Opios are very close. Much better than the Kanile'a Islanders. I think you would be happy with one if you liked it. I still hope to get a KoAloha someday, I would like to get one of the fancy ones like a sceptre or that crazy purple one that was at NAMM. Every KoAloha I have picked up has played well and sounded nice.

Sullen Youth turns 21 today. Lunch & gifts.

Last week his "5 Year Plan" was tobreak up with his girlfriend and bum around east Asia with no visible means of support. This week he's back with his gf who never moved out.

I have no clue.

This part of parenting is way harder than the baby/toddler years.

Last week his "5 Year Plan" was tobreak up with his girlfriend and bum around east Asia with no visible means of support. This week he's back with his gf who never moved out.

I have no clue.

Happy birthday to SY! He'll get his life all figured out, sooner or later. He's an adult, now, so sorting all of this out is his job, not his parents'. At this point you watch, worry, offer advice when asked, and hope he gets it all together soon....

Does anyone here have a Koaloha Opio?

When I went to see Mim, I narrowed my choice down to two - the one I brought home and another Ohano. I also played the Opio which was a good blend of the 2 I was considering. But it was twice as much. Now that I have played the Opio I can't get it out of my head. I've read that Sapele is very similar to mahogany in sound.

Instead of trying a bunch of different strings on this very loud ukulele, I think I am going to see if I can come up with the extra money and get the Opio. I don't intend to buy another - at least for a long time, so I want to get one that really suits me. .

Like this?

s-l1000.jpg

It looks like this one has thirteen frets to the body. That's different.

The Saturday jam session is back on for tomorrow! It had been cancelled earlier in the week, because the guy whose house we meet at has a family commitment that day. One of the other guys called yesterday, and we're going to meet at his house, instead....

I have no clue.

Oh, yes. I totally agree. Complaining parents of little ones make me laugh (inside my head).

CL -- I used to have a KoAloha concert. Not an Opio. But it sure was loud and bright. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Rafe report --
Off to Milwaukee for MUF. I'll be rooming with Mandi. Will be seeing Faricelli, Denise Martin, Seeso, Matt Lindahl, Tim Clark, Bonita, and I think DeG is coming, too. And of course Mike and Tookta, too!!! Workshops? Bah! No time. I do wish I could just pay for the 2 workshops I want to go to.

The Saturday jam session is back on for tomorrow! It had been cancelled earlier in the week, because the guy whose house we meet at has a family commitment that day. One of the other guys called yesterday, and we're going to meet at his house, instead....

Love me a jam session...

Does anyone here have a Koaloha Opio?

When I went to see Mim, I narrowed my choice down to two - the one I brought home and another Ohano. I also played the Opio which was a good blend of the 2 I was considering. But it was twice as much. Now that I have played the Opio I can't get it out of my head. I've read that Sapele is very similar to mahogany in sound.

Instead of trying a bunch of different strings on this very loud ukulele, I think I am going to see if I can come up with the extra money and get the Opio. I don't intend to buy another - at least for a long time, so I want to get one that really suits me. .

Before KoAloha Opio there was KoAlana. The KoAloha Opio is the next gen. The KoAlana concert was/is my first good ukulele. Built like a KoAloha but in Asia. The batch mine came from was poorly humidity controlled and had cracking problems. Mine hasn't. We get wide temperature and humidity swings here but all is good. KoAloha tried to recreate their production line/process/flow in their overseas factory. It took some tweaking.

The sapele sound is mellower than my koa and acacia ukes. It's like notes blend before they ever leave the uke. Sapele is supposed to sound like mahogany. Volume is good. When I play it with the oldies I get compliments on the tone. I love the bling-free aesthetic. One more thing. I found it to have particular taste in strings. Worth CM strings made it sad. Worth CL are just right.

It's a lovely uke. Great choice for a one and only.

Last edited:
Rafe report --
Off to Milwaukee for MUF. I'll be rooming with Mandi. Will be seeing Faricelli, Denise Martin, Seeso, Matt Lindahl, Tim Clark, Bonita, and I think DeG is coming, too. And of course Mike and Tookta, too!!! Workshops? Bah! No time. I do wish I could just pay for the 2 workshops I want to go to.

Say hey for me. Some May still remember me.

I have a short essay and quiz due today. If I pop in here randomly later and don't say it's done, somebody tell me to get back to work.

Last night was fun! My friend got his Autoharp autographed by one of the guys. Talked to most of the band but one bought her solo CD I had the bands current CD fun night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom