::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just was informed that my family is changing the rules for Christmas again this year. No gifts for adults, only kids. This is how I have gotten screwed by my family for twenty or thirty years years now. I have to buy gifts for everyone else's numerous children (Catholics), but I don't get anything from their family. Being the youngest (and poorest) of five, this has always burdened me unfairly. In the past at least their families would collectively get me one gift, while I had to shell out four or six in return. Now, I even have to buy gifts for grandkids. At least Matt will get gifts, I think. Maybe I sound kind of selfish, but honestly, it is totally unfair and financially it sucks. I don't think the younger kids even know my name.

My wife gets bitter about this in my family since we only have James.

I sometimes gently remind her that I would be buying gifts for all my nieces and nephews even if we didn't have James.

But yeah, it does feel like you get screwed.

Just was informed that my family is changing the rules for Christmas again this year. No gifts for adults, only kids. This is how I have gotten screwed by my family for twenty or thirty years years now. I have to buy gifts for everyone else's numerous children (Catholics), but I don't get anything from their family. Being the youngest (and poorest) of five, this has always burdened me unfairly. In the past at least their families would collectively get me one gift, while I had to shell out four or six in return. Now, I even have to buy gifts for grandkids. At least Matt will get gifts, I think. Maybe I sound kind of selfish, but honestly, it is totally unfair and financially it sucks. I don't think the younger kids even know my name.

Not fair. Not fair, at all....

glitterfy6140503T915B81.gif

You're welcome.

Nice. I like the sparkles.

Thank you :)

Buy each kid a $5 gift card.

I'm giving my grandparents a collage of pics of the grandkids.

Actually every Easter we pose the kids in the same way and I've taken a picture for the last 9 years.

I want to figure out a nice way to create that timeline and have it printed on canvas.

I love your sister.

She and I have had a very long-standing war with gift giving. The tackier or weirder the better. For a long time I got Elvis stuff every Christmas. The pinnacle of that one was a life-sized Elvis cut-out. That Spring Ben and I went up to Spokane for a visit. Before we left I cut the pinky off the cut-out, bandaged his hand and added "blood" to the bandage (like soak-through). We blindfolded him and then Ben wore his camouflage jammies and a mask and stood next to Elvis wearing a mask and holding a super soaker. There was a copy of that day's newspaper in the picture, too.

The day we left for Spokane we mailed the finger, the picture, and a letter made up of words/letters cut out of magazines that read, "We have the King. $1,000,000 or the next thing you get won't be just his finger" to Jacqui.

We'd been in Spokane for two days when she went out to get the mail and from the other end of her house I heard, "JONNNNNNNN!"

When all the grand children were little on both sides, one Christmas I opened savings accounts for all of them and deposited $25 in each one. I gave everyone in the families all the info so if they wanted to join in and help each kid on their birthday or Christmas with savings they could. I figured the grandparents would want to join in instead of buying them big stupid gifts every year. But no, not one person ever put money in any of the accounts but me. 15 years later I closed all of the accounts and gave the kids each their cash.

I thought it was a good idea. Whatever.

She and I have had a very long-standing war with gift giving. The tackier or weirder the better. For a long time I got Elvis stuff every Christmas. The pinnacle of that one was a life-sized Elvis cut-out. That Spring Ben and I went up to Spokane for a visit. Before we left I cut the pinky off the cut-out, bandaged his hand and added "blood" to the bandage (like soak-through). We blindfolded him and then Ben wore his camouflage jammies and a mask and stood next to Elvis wearing a mask and holding a super soaker. There was a copy of that day's newspaper in the picture, too.

The day we left for Spokane we mailed the finger, the picture, and a letter made up of words/letters cut out of magazines that read, "We have the King. $1,000,000 or the next thing you get won't be just his finger" to Jacqui.

We'd been in Spokane for two days when she went out to get the mail and from the other end of her house I heard, "JONNNNNNNN!"

That's awesome.

When all the grand children were little on both sides, one Christmas I opened savings accounts for all of them and deposited $25 in each one. I gave everyone in the families all the info so if they wanted to join in and help each kid on their birthday or Christmas with savings they could. I figured the grandparents would want to join in instead of buying them big stupid gifts every year. But no, not one person ever put money in any of the accounts but me. 15 years later I closed all of the accounts and gave the kids each their cash.

I thought it was a good idea. Whatever.

One year I bought each family a fire extinguisher, everyone thought it was great. My dad was so impressed, he was telling my siblings what it was before they even opened them.

We are kind of in that situation ourselves, although we LOVE the kids we get stuff for and we have no kids ourselves.
We always make sure everyone has something to open from us, even if it is just a small Lego set or a little purse.
It is a financial strain sometimes, but we cover that by shopping all year long. If we see something specifically with one kid in mind we just get it.
Sometimes we also just bake cookies for everyone.
One of our nephews loves Nanilei's cookies, and now that we are in Hawaii what she is doing for him this year is making a bunch of cookie dough logs and freezing it so he can bake his own when he wants them.
It does not always have to be expensive to be appreciated!

We are kind of in that situation ourselves, although we LOVE the kids we get stuff for and we have no kids ourselves.
We always make sure everyone has something to open from us, even if it is just a small Lego set or a little purse.
It is a financial strain sometimes, but we cover that by shopping all year long. If we see something specifically with one kid in mind we just get it.
Sometimes we also just bake cookies for everyone.
One of our nephews loves Nanilei's cookies, and now that we are in Hawaii what she is doing for him this year is making a bunch of cookie dough logs and freezing it so he can bake his own when he wants them.
It does not always have to be expensive to be appreciated!

Some of my most favorite of gifts.

This year we got little things for all the little kids. For the siblings, we got a bottle of booze made in Hawaii. Pau pineapple vodka, okolehau, Maui wine, Paniolo whiskey. We usually have some get-togethers where folks drink a little so it will be fun.

Our nephew just turned 25 this year. His 21st birthday we were in Vega$, and making him do shots. He is a good kid, never got in trouble at all. He did a shot of Jack Daniel's and did not even make a face. We were giving him crap that obviously he'd done that before, and he tried to play it off like it was no big deal. We got him a bottle of Uncle Kimo's Da Bomb rum. 75.5% alcohol. we want to see him keep a straight face with THAT! :D

The year I graduated college (1984) was the first year that my school offered students the option of buying a computer when they started. Of course, they weren't laptops. I actually bought my first computer that year-- a Commodore 64, and went "online" with my 300 baud modem (for the uninitiated, 300 baud means 300 bits per second; typical cable connects are about 50 MILLION bits per second. You might guess we weren't streaming a lot of movies). It was so slow you could watch each individual line of text draw on the screen. And it was the most fantastic thing I'd ever seen.

Ah yes, the Commode Door 64. 20 minutes to back up a single 400K floppy, swapping disks every 3 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom