::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my day off (surprise!), so I've been busy. We had about six inches of snow last night, so I've been out shoveling, cleaning up after the plow guy. We're expecting another 6-8 inches of snow overnight, so I really need to keep ahead of it....

I got some dishes to do really don't want to. I installed my floating shelf next to my bed. I was tired of sleeping with phone under my pillow so I made a small 15 by 8 inch floating shelf. I used some of those expanding things to tie it into the wall. Looks solid for some lightweight stuff. I wouldn't sit on it as I couldn't tie into any studs.

I found this cool little shelf that replaces the outlet coverplate - it's for the Google Home Mini in the kitchen. Just about the right size for that little thing.

I also went out and bought gift cards as Christmas gifts for my co-workers, and nice cards to put them in. While I was out, I filled the truck with gas....

I'm watching Rogue One - A Star Wars story and getting ready to grill a steak for dinner.
It was raining earlier so I boiled some boneless skinless chicken breast to shred for tacos if need be, but it looks like I can pop that in the fridge to use tomorrow now.
Bonus!

I still haven't seen Rogue One. I only saw Episode 7 because it was available during my flight to Honolulu last year.

You'll all be proud of me. The manager asked me yesterday whether I would work Thursday afternoon, which is normally a day off.

I told him, "I'm sorry, but we are having company on Thursday afternoon, for dinner and cards". Which, by the way, is true.

I feel bad, though. He can't get any time off, and needs to go to a wake....

Yesterday I went in to a Chipotle to buy a gift certificate and there was a lady begging for change to buy food. So I bought her a burrito and a $5.00 gift certificate.

When I gave her the food and card she was very grateful which made me feel nice. And then she pulled out a HUGE wad of cash to add the gift card to. James let out a loud "WHOA!"

I want to believe that money was for her rent or something. If not. I wasted a lot of time getting degrees and working.

You'll all be proud of me. The manager asked me yesterday whether I would work Thursday afternoon, which is normally a day off.

I told him, "I'm sorry, but we are having company on Thursday afternoon, for dinner and cards". Which, by the way, is true.

I feel bad, though. He can't get any time off, and needs to go to a wake....

You do realize you don't even have to give a reason, right? "Sorry, I'm not available."

Don's Assertiveness Training 101. You're getting there, Buddy!

I still haven't seen Rogue One. I only saw Episode 7 because it was available during my flight to Honolulu last year.

You'd like it. It's a nice bridge from the three money grab movies to the original trilogy we grew up with.

Yesterday I went in to a Chipotle to buy a gift certificate and there was a lady begging for change to buy food. So I bought her a burrito and a $5.00 gift certificate.

When I gave her the food and card she was very grateful which made me feel nice. And then she pulled out a HUGE wad of cash to add the gift card to. James let out a loud "WHOA!"

I want to believe that money was for her rent or something. If not. I wasted a lot of time getting degrees and working.

That is why I don't give money to panhandlers anymore. I have a friend in Bloomington that worked for the probation department, he had the low down on a lot of the beggars. I also used to know a lot of them from the psych units, they just begged the money for cigarettes, liquor and other drugs and I knew for a fact that they got everything paid for by the government and some would get as much as $800 a month on top of that. Now a days, I see more and more young people in their 20's begging, absolutely nothing wrong with them except for a total lack or self respect.

You do realize you don't even have to give a reason, right? "Sorry, I'm not available."

Don's Assertiveness Training 101. You're getting there, Buddy!

There was a thread about that on Reddit recently, some guy complaining that he shouldn't feel compelled to give an excuse whenever he doesn't want to do something. It should be enough just to say "No, thank you"

That is why I don't give money to panhandlers anymore. I have a friend in Bloomington that worked for the probation department, he had the low down on a lot of the beggars. I also used to know a lot of them from the psych units, they just begged the money for cigarettes, liquor and other drugs and I knew for a fact that they got everything paid for by the government and some would get as much as $800 a month on top of that. Now a days, I see more and more young people in their 20's begging, absolutely nothing wrong with them except for a total lack or self respect.

I read a thing a few years ago detailing how to spot a truly homeless person from a scammer.

It basically came down to what they were classifying as "truly homeless" was a person who just had a cup or something out to collect and they would basically just be sitting there, not even asking for donations.

The other day I struck up a conversation with a homeless guy I see at Safeway every morning. He was playing music on a radio and I remarked how that was one of my favorite songs and he said "we must be close in age" and we started talking. He was homeless but not jobless.

That's so wrong. If it weren't for my grandparents I wouldn't be able to live here. Or my commute would be in the hours to be able to afford a place to live. I can't afford the rents in this area on my salary.

I have ties to a person who has been homeless. She was/is drug addicted, and couldn't/wouldn't hold a job. She was one of those people you'd see standing on a freeway off ramp, holding a cardboard sign asking for money. They call that "flying a sign".

It can be quite lucrative. The reality is, she usually had more money on her than I did, and was making as much as many people who were working. She often had wads of cash (but not for long). She did it because she could make her own hours, come and go as she pleased, not pay taxes, not worry about drug testing, and still make money.

Almost every penny she was given went straight into her arm....

I have ties to a person who has been homeless. She was/is drug addicted, and couldn't/wouldn't hold a job. She was one of those people you'd see standing on a freeway off ramp, holding a cardboard sign asking for money. They call that "flying a sign".

It can be quite lucrative. The reality is, she usually had more money on her than I did, and was making as much as many people who were working. She often had wads of cash (but not for long). She did it because she could make her own hours, come and go as she pleased, not pay taxes, not worry about drug testing, and still make money.

About ten years ago I ran into a high school classmate panhandling. I wasn't really close to him but our class was close so we were friends. After we talked for a while I gave him $100.00 because I felt really bad for him. He gave it back and said to treat for lunch instead. He pretty much had the same story you describe above.

There was a thread about that on Reddit recently, some guy complaining that he shouldn't feel compelled to give an excuse whenever he doesn't want to do something. It should be enough just to say "No, thank you"

Of course it's anybody's right to give more information...but nobody should feel like it's necessary (unless of course it becomes a several-times-a-week thing during your regularly scheduled work week and your boss starts getting pissy about it).

This is why I won't give to the sign fliers any more. There are probably some people who genuinely are down on their luck and looking to get back on their feet. But when you get familiar with an area and see the same people at the same corner for months on end it becomes obvious they're making a career of it. We give to our church - which operates a family homeless shelter - and to other social agencies that provide support to people looking to get a new start rather than their next high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom