::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I teared up this morning in front of our entire staff.

One of our new hires is a former student and during his introduction he thanked two of us for recognizing his potential and not letting him "wallow in mediocrity" (it's a mantra I preach to the kids). He credited us for him getting his GED and pursuing college when no one in his family had ever graduated high school. He's here to pay it forward. "I hope I live up to the standard you taught me Mr. Yoshida." (that's when my eyes leaked). It's a good day.

It's weird. You never know what will resonate with the kids but as teachers we really do have tremendous influence.

. . . and never underestimate the power of a chocolate chip cookie recipe in teaching a youngster about life :)

Nice job Jerry.

Nice job Jerry.

So that's the thing.

I didn't do anything but teach.

Some kids really connect with what you're saying. You just never know where that inspiration is going to come from. I think I've given some brilliant advice over the years. This kid remembers that I told him that he could make a cookie just as well as anyone else in the room. And I encouraged him, and the rest of my classes, all year.

For him it stuck and struck a chord.

Ish! Put up some walls or at least a curtain.

Too funny

CAqxBoe.jpg

I remember one time, years ago, when I was delivering mail in the inner city. I suddenly realized I needed a bathroom, and right away. My only option was a little corner store, a bodega, and although I didn't want to, I asked to use their bathroom.

The clerk said it was downstairs, and pointed to a door. The door at the top of the stairs was jammed open, and couldn't be closed. The stairway had no lights, but there was a dim light in the basement. I had no choice, so I went down.

The building was very old, and the basement was shallow. The walls were cobblestone, and the floor was dirt. There was nothing much down there, other than a toilet, without walls, without a sink....and in the middle of the room. A bare lightbulb hung from a wire above the toilet. The far corners of the basement were dark and gloomy, and the place was....pardon the expression....a dump.

I did what I had to, and got out of there. One of my worst "public" bathroom experiences, ever....

Aw, thank you! I just recently bought 2 yard flamingos to add to my classroom decor! I am going to try to put their "feet" in plaster of paris and then I am going to knit scarves and hats for them for winter! The ones in that pic have crowns! Hm . . . got to go look at doll clothes and see if I can find some that would fit! :cool:

Aw, thank you! I just recently bought 2 yard flamingos to add to my classroom decor! I am going to try to put their "feet" in plaster of paris and then I am going to knit scarves and hats for them for winter! The ones in that pic have crowns! Hm . . . got to go look at doll clothes and see if I can find some that would fit! :cool:

Oooh. Happy Birthday!! Looks like I'm 8 days older than you ;)

Oh, Sukie! If you ever shop at the Lower Levels of Hell (Wal-Mart), they have a bunch of notebooks and folders with flamingos on them right now in the school supplies section!!

I might have bought a bunch . . . and not for the kids . . . :rolleyes:

Oooh. Happy Birthday!! Looks like I'm 8 days older than you ;)

Hm . . . I have a feeling I have a few years on you, but OK! I'll take it!! You are older than me by 8 days! Woohoo! It's nice to be the spring chicken around here! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom