::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the most amazing documentary about an older Korean couple on PBS.
It was called My Love, Don't Cross That River, it was on POV.
Keep tissues nearby.

Found a link on YouTube

Last edited:
Our society is certainly different now than it was, say, in the fifties. Technology has made us an instant gratification society. People are impatient, more often than not.

Our society has coarsened. People think nothing of spouting foul language in public. There is more and more violence and sexuality in the media we consume. Fewer people exhibit what we were taught as "good manners", any more.

People have become more rude and selfish. We didn't see road rage years ago, for example.

Then there's the insanity of the random violence in our schools and work places. Nothing like that was heard of, years ago. Nobody used to put poison in consumer products and then put them back on store shelves. Now everything has to be safety sealed.

The rise of international terrorism is relatively new. Who'd have thought, way back when, that someone would bomb the Boston marathon?

The rash of political assassinations that started with JFK changed everything, too. Political maneuvering via execution.

I believe our society IS more inherently dangerous today, and that we are to blame for it....

I was listening to Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" on the way into work today.

How many people, let alone kids know what "you can't catch me 'cause the rabbit done died" means?

Our society is certainly different now than it was, say, in the fifties. Technology has made us an instant gratification society. People are impatient, more often than not.

Our society has coarsened. People think nothing of spouting foul language in public. There is more and more violence and sexuality in the media we consume. Fewer people exhibit what we were taught as "good manners", any more.

People have become more rude and selfish. We didn't see road rage years ago, for example.

Then there's the insanity of the random violence in our schools and work places. Nothing like that was heard of, years ago. Nobody used to put poison in consumer products and then put them back on store shelves. Now everything has to be safety sealed.

The rise of international terrorism is relatively new. Who'd have thought, way back when, that someone would bomb the Boston marathon?

The rash of political assassinations that started with JFK changed everything, too. Political maneuvering via execution.

I believe our society IS more inherently dangerous today, and that we are to blame for it....

In general, the attitude of "I'm the center of the universe", "I'm the victim", "Everything is someone else's fault".
Radical thoughts in every direction?

People need to "chill out", perhaps?

Just a thought.

Early manner of pregnancy testing, no?

In general, the attitude of "I'm the center of the universe", "I'm the victim", "Everything is someone else's fault".
Radical thoughts in every direction?

People need to "chill out", perhaps?

Just a thought.

I also think people need to work hard again. Or do hard work more specifically. IMO it created more empathy towards each other and more reliance on others. We had to get a long to work cooperatively and to get along day to day. We understood the need for each other. I don't think we get that sitting behind monitors all day. At least around here where the majority of work is intellectual.

I often wonder about the actual safety of the children today vs. when I was a kid.
Is it really more dangerous than it was? Or is it just the media sensationalizing everything?
Are there actual statistics to back up the fears?
Just like you see those things on facebook or whatever, like how we would drink from the hose and no one actually died from this.
Now I understand, with the severe allergy that is a little scary, but really, truly, are the children at risk?
I took the school bus, and I walked by myself to the stop and back home every day by myself, I have memory of doing this since first grade.
Now, we did live in a gated community in Newport Beach, so that counts for A LOT, but I was also able to ride my bike to school by myself starting in 5th or sixth grade (6th grade for sure - I don't remember for sure if I could in 5th grade).
I am searching my memory banks - I totally remember locking my bike in the bike rack at Elementary School, and that only went to 6th grade.
School was 1.4 miles away and across PCH.
I also rode my bike to school in 7th grade (different school) and in High School. Ironically, the ride to Elementary school was the longest ride.
Sure we learned about stranger danger etc. and I know it was Newport Beach, not East LA or Compton, but hey we were still on our own, unsupervised, with no cell phones, and no one I know had anything bad happen to them.
I think I got my bike stolen once, in 7th grade. I had to walk home that day.

The statistics I have seen generally back up the idea that we are more aware of dangers than we used to be, but the dangers themselves are at an all time low.

the best was even as I got older in Middle school I used to ride my bike at least 5 miles or more to friends houses. It was a lot of country riding but still I had no supervision. I remember once I rode all the way out to this mental hospital and people used to escape all the time. Im still here.

When I was five I was allowed to walk to the park 1/2 mile from home with a friend. No parental supervision. I walked to school in kindergarten through 9th grade. Well, rode my bike sometimes.

Except for school shootings. Those definitely did not exist when I was going to school. But that still does not speak to the safety of the kids going to/from the school bus.

Wikipedia lists 30 school shootings in the 1970s. That's less than now - but they were there. We just weren't as aware of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom