::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kids usually come to me with their medical problems. Yesterday evening Annie came to me to say her stomach felt bad (not hurts, just not good). This was immediately after eating a cookie. I asked if her stomach felt bad before or after the cookie - just a little bit before. Mmmmmhm. No mention of it when she asked for the cookie.

BUT

The mysterious stomach ailment arrived when Mom and Dad had to give their attention to the guy from the gas company who was there to investigate a possible leak in the stove. He had a lot to say, we had a lot of questions, and Annie wasn't getting a lot of attention. Annie loves attention.

After the gas guy left I asked if she wanted to play a game - we played Mastermind. Interestingly, the stomach ailment disappeared just like that!

As for the stove...it's a piece of crap. If you remember, this was the VERY expensive stove that we built our kitchen around. We love to cook - so we got an oversized pro range. Six burners, oven that fits a full sheet pan - and we use it! We made sacrifices in other places in the house so the budget would work to have our dream kitchen.

Two years after we moved in (just outside the thing's warranty) the oven gave out. We had to have the burner and igniter replaced. We worked with the company to try to make the case that yes, it was now out of warranty, but these are essential parts to the oven and should be designed to last longer than 2 years. No luck - we ended up paying for the fix, but at least we had our oven back.

Last week the oven gave out again. The warranty on the parts for the previous repair has expired - and it's the same parts that have given out. The repair guy actually said they are "wear and tear parts". Seriously? We should expect a $400 repair bill every two years on parts that lasted 10+ (and were still going strong when we sold the place) on the plain old consumer oven we had in our old house? Seriously? The repair guy also said we should have the gas company come out to verify there isn't a problem with the gas supply.

So the gas guy came yesterday. He discovered the valves for all six burners on top are leaking. It's not dangerous, he said - the leak is very very slight, and he said it's totally safe to use the stove right now, but he also said he has never seen a 5-year-old stove leak like this - he normally sees it on stoves 20+ years old. And he has worked for the gas company for 38 years. He was a gem - wrote up his expert opinion on the whole thing as ammunition and gave us contact info for a couple of the people in the gas company's appliance center who will also state that this is ridiculously out of spec and should never, ever be seen in a range this age, no matter how much was spent on it.

Sheryl is rolling up her sleeves to do battle with American Range starting today...

DO NOT buy American Range products. Maybe ours was a lemon - but the lack of support and willingness to stand behind their product is what has really tainted the brand for us.

(The gas guy said he was so glad to get the call to our house - the company sold American Range for a little while but didn't have much success with sales - they have a deeply discounted model in their clearance room that he was seriously considering, but he said "no way! Not after seeing yours!)

I know, right? This one is a bugger.

My doctor said I had all the signs of walking pneumonia but my lungs sounded clear.

I've never questioned my old doctor's skills, but this one has me wondering (not just for this but for a lot of things she's said/done/not done). It seems like a PITA to do it, but I might look for another doc.

As for the stove...it's a piece of crap. If you remember, this was the VERY expensive stove that we built our kitchen around. We love to cook - so we got an oversized pro range. Six burners, oven that fits a full sheet pan - and we use it! We made sacrifices in other places in the house so the budget would work to have our dream kitchen.

Two years after we moved in (just outside the thing's warranty) the oven gave out. We had to have the burner and igniter replaced. We worked with the company to try to make the case that yes, it was now out of warranty, but these are essential parts to the oven and should be designed to last longer than 2 years. No luck - we ended up paying for the fix, but at least we had our oven back.

Last week the oven gave out again. The warranty on the parts for the previous repair has expired - and it's the same parts that have given out. The repair guy actually said they are "wear and tear parts". Seriously? We should expect a $400 repair bill every two years on parts that lasted 10+ (and were still going strong when we sold the place) on the plain old consumer oven we had in our old house? Seriously? The repair guy also said we should have the gas company come out to verify there isn't a problem with the gas supply.

So the gas guy came yesterday. He discovered the valves for all six burners on top are leaking. It's not dangerous, he said - the leak is very very slight, and he said it's totally safe to use the stove right now, but he also said he has never seen a 5-year-old stove leak like this - he normally sees it on stoves 20+ years old. And he has worked for the gas company for 38 years. He was a gem - wrote up his expert opinion on the whole thing as ammunition and gave us contact info for a couple of the people in the gas company's appliance center who will also state that this is ridiculously out of spec and should never, ever be seen in a range this age, no matter how much was spent on it.

Sheryl is rolling up her sleeves to do battle with American Range starting today...

DO NOT buy American Range products. Maybe ours was a lemon - but the lack of support and willingness to stand behind their product is what has really tainted the brand for us.

(The gas guy said he was so glad to get the call to our house - the company sold American Range for a little while but didn't have much success with sales - they have a deeply discounted model in their clearance room that he was seriously considering, but he said "no way! Not after seeing yours!)

PoHoMoJo for Sheryl to kick some American Range ass!!!!

Rich, how is it going?

Yeah, I have no idea where in Canada I am. Doesn’t even feel like I am there.

I wonder why I thought you were in Canada just now.

I haven't been sleeping much. I blame lack of sleep. Any competitions this past weekend?

PoHoMoJo for Sheryl to kick some American Range ass!!!!

She's a lot better at that sort of thing than I am. I'm more diplomat, she's more assertive. Put us together and you have the good cop/bad cop team for the ages.

She's a lot better at that sort of thing than I am. I'm more diplomat, she's more assertive. Put us together and you have the good cop/bad cop team for the ages.

I used to work with a guy who had a temper like no other. He would blow up on the phone at people who irritated him - usually IBM people during trouble calls.

I would get a call from the help desk saying they needed someone from our department on a trouble call and I would always say, "Do you want good cop or bad cop?" About half the time he'd say, "it isn't that bad yet - you get on the line" and the other half he'd say, "send in Todd."

That's Mika and I. She's a pitbull when it comes to stuff like that, dealing with insurance, even negotiating for a car. When I bought my Ridgeline the guy said "this is the best I can do." Mika said can I borrow your computer. She pulled up four dealerships that were advertising lower prices than what he was quoting. We got the fleet manager after that and very good deal.

Watching back to the Future with Summer. It's pretty good and not to inappropriate for a 9 yo. Seems like she likes it.

I fell asleep watching TV the other weekend and got woken up to James asking "Why is that boy in the shower with those two girls?" Pitch Perfect had come on after what I was watching and he stopped what he was doing to watch it.

Rafe is in Canada? That's a long way from Pennsylvania.

I wonder why I thought you were in Canada just now.

I haven't been sleeping much. I blame lack of sleep. Any competitions this past weekend?

Oh good. I was pretty sure you hadn't moved.

Yep. Still in PA. No competitions this past weekend. Probably not competing again until March.

Did some glassblowing last night. It was tough getting myself out there. Once I was there I had fun and did alright. Made a new shape for me and also did a different technique for color application. Maybe I will share some pics next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom