::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AKA prune fingers. You know, wrinkly fingers from being in water a long time.

Ha ha ha, yes. It's been lovely and hot so we've been in the lake a lot. Most days I have woke up to coffee around 9, breakfast around 10-11, swim and lounge for hours, eat lunch, take a glorious nap from like 3-5, then wake up and play in the water more, have a late dinner around 9, watch a movie or play music or board games until midnight, and then do it all over again.

It's been wonderful.

There's like 80,000 IPAs out there. I just think you haven't tried enough. I lean towards the fruitier ones.

The thing is - I've had a bunch of people hand me an IPA and say, "Oh, you'll like this one! It's not like a regular IPA!" So I try it. And I thoroughly dislike it.

I like a balanced beer - hops should be an accent, a balance to malt. I don't like the flavor of hops for themselves; rather I like it as a balance to sweet, heavy malt.

I had a golden ale at the baseball game we went to on Saturday. It was very good - citrusy from the hops, but still a definite malt backbone. A real nice balance with the definite - but not overwhelming - presence of hops.

Ooooh!!! Ohhhh!!!!! Oh!!!!

Thank you Jon!!!!!

(And Andy?)

Nope, just me! I couldn't get to Andy's photobucket from work, but I was able to from home. He was going to email the sig to me, but I forgot to remind him. I realized I could probably do it myself from my home computer, though.

I will never own a pineapple. They irritate me (shape, not sound).

How can you be irritated by a shape?!

I mean sure, I get irritated by my shape, but in a uke?

Actually, those triangle ukes that the Langley orchestra uses would irritate me.

Never mind.

The thing is - I've had a bunch of people hand me an IPA and say, "Oh, you'll like this one! It's not like a regular IPA!" So I try it. And I thoroughly dislike it.

I like a balanced beer - hops should be an accent, a balance to malt. I don't like the flavor of hops for themselves; rather I like it as a balance to sweet, heavy malt.

I had a golden ale at the baseball game we went to on Saturday. It was very good - citrusy from the hops, but still a definite malt backbone. A real nice balance with the definite - but not overwhelming - presence of hops.

::blank stare::

My criteria is "like" or "don't like"

Beer
Coffee
Wine

Actually with wine I can taste the different subtleties when they're pointed out but maybe that's psychological?

Beer
Coffee
Wine

Actually with wine I can taste the different subtleties when they're pointed out but maybe that's psychological?

I think I'll go make some coffee. I brought some from Hawaii that I like :)

Beer
Coffee
Wine

I. Just. I. But.

AAAAAAGGGHHH. No words.

I generally do not like the overly hoppy brews.
The only exception is Sculpin, everything seems to work together on that one. It is not my favorite though.
I like Duvel, I like Bass and Newcastle, and I like Dos Equis Amber Lager, and I like Steinlager. Any of those (and similar flavor profiles) I enjoy drinking.
Most other beer is just beer.
That keg at UWC 2011 remains one of top beers I have ever tasted.

I know a little about wine, I had a roommate for a few years that was a wine broker, and he was stoked I speak French because I could help him with his write-ups. I ended up learning quite a bit, but I am just not that into it.
There are some wines I really like, especially some I have had at my friend's place in France, but I could not tell you what they are.
I usually do ok at a fancy restaurant in picking out a decent reasonably priced wine, same with choosing an appropriate bottle to bring to someone for a gift or dinner party, but that is about where my knowledge ends.

Coffee? I love coffee.
I am not a coffee snob, but the only instant in the house is instant espresso Nanilei uses for baking.
There is no supermarket coffee either.
I do not have a burr grinder or espresso machine or anything, or my own roaster, but you will have a nice cup of coffee at my house.

I generally do not like the overly hoppy brews.
The only exception is Sculpin, everything seems to work together on that one. It is not my favorite though.
I like Duvel, I like Bass and Newcastle, and I like Dos Equis Amber Lager, and I like Steinlager. Any of those (and similar flavor profiles) I enjoy drinking.
Most other beer is just beer.
That keg at UWC 2011 remains one of top beers I have ever tasted.

YES! That stuff is golden nectar. Truly fantastic stuff.

Jan -- I hate to sound like an ukulele snob, but sometimes I am...a shitty ukulele is very hard to play and you will be unhappy. And you'll hate to play it.

But that could just be me.

I hear you. But shitty is all I can afford right now (and for a long time) so if I want a tenor it will have to do. Also, I don't want to spend a lot of money and then not like the tenor size.

Besides, I have a shark and I like it. The Kala is prob as good as a shark.

Exactly.

The Mainland long neck concert would be a much better choice than the Makala which is pretty much a tenor dolphin.

I cannot spend much money right now. Besides, I don't want a concert body. I want a larger body so that my wrist is straight when I try to finger pick over the sound hole.

I think you should give the concert more time.

I will. I am going to work with it for awhile and see if it will suit my needs for finger style.

And, if I get a tenor, it won't be from Amazon. I am beginning (have been for awhile) to really dislike them!

I was about to post something similar.
Took me many years to finally validate it.
If you cannot afford what you want, WAIT until you can.
I have 10 ukuleles. Sure, a couple I came into free or very cheap. A few were quite expensive.
What I really want now is really quite expensive.
It does me no good to buy another ukulele that is a little bit nicer than any ukulele I have.
And that money is taking away from the one I really want.
I am now in a position to try and sell some ukes that are nice enough but don't have much resale value either.
If I had not purchased them I would easily have the $ to buy the one I want.
SO - wait.
Take the $40 and put it in a jar. Or make a Kiva loan.
Then when you get another $40 do that again.
Then when you have enough, get the Mainland. Or whatever. Trust me you already play ukulele and a Makala is not really going to be an enjoyable purchase for you, much less a Caramel. Talk to Mainland Mike, see if he has any blems or seconds he may set aside for you?

Where did you get the idea that I play ukulele?! :p Well, maybe every once in a blue moon. But, I am going to learn finger style - which is why I got a uke in the first place.

And thanks, everyone, for your replies! I appreciate the input!:)

Ha ha ha, yes. It's been lovely and hot so we've been in the lake a lot. Most days I have woke up to coffee around 9, breakfast around 10-11, swim and lounge for hours, eat lunch, take a glorious nap from like 3-5, then wake up and play in the water more, have a late dinner around 9, watch a movie or play music or board games until midnight, and then do it all over again.

It's been wonderful.

That does sound wonderful! (Except for the swim part. I don't do water except to drink it).

Hm . . . I should try this one day before school starts back. (Except for the water - and I'll have tea, please!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom