::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That does sound wonderful! (Except for the swim part. I don't do water except to drink it).

Hm . . . I should try this one day before school starts back. (Except for the water - and I'll have tea, please!)

Oh gosh, I couldn't imagine not swimming or being in water.

Oh gosh, I couldn't imagine not swimming or being in water.

I never learned to swim. My ex was teaching me, told me to do little hops, and I slipped and went under. Scared the $%^# out of me.

Last year I performed a baptism in the church. We practice immersion. Talk about keeping your composure while freaking out inside!

I cannot spend much money right now. Besides, I don't want a concert body. I want a larger body so that my wrist is straight when I try to finger pick over the sound hole.

Not arguing...just asking...
What makes you think a tenor body will make it easier to keep your wrist straight? You really don't want your hand/arm leaning on the body. It deadens the sound. Your forearm on the bottom edge, yes. I have pretty long arms (I'm way bigger than you) and don't have a problem

They all came home with me so it was a success. Summer is quite the swimmer she has hardly any fear. I took her out deep and I just had to keep her hand cause she would float from me in seconds. Other than that I said over or uber the rolling waves. Mostly we went under. I would let her go as we went under and she would surface and swim to me

Sitting in the Kayenta, AZ Burger King as RL Kid SLOWLY eats chicken nuggets. We were an hour lat getting out today and we lose any hour going into Utah. I hope I can be done driving by dark.

Not arguing...just asking...
What makes you think a tenor body will make it easier to keep your wrist straight? You really don't want your hand/arm leaning on the body. It deadens the sound. Your forearm on the bottom edge, yes. I have pretty long arms (I'm way bigger than you) and don't have a problem

I am trying to pick the strings over the sound hole. With my concert, it's better, but with the soprano, my wrist has to bend up so that I am not reaching too far up the strings to play. Does that make any sense?

I know you strum farther up, but I am talking about finger picking.

I hear you. But shitty is all I can afford right now (and for a long time) so if I want a tenor it will have to do. Also, I don't want to spend a lot of money and then not like the tenor size.

Besides, I have a shark and I like it. The Kala is prob as good as a shark.

Makala not Kala. BIG DIFFEREMCE

Sukie is amazing at finger picking.

I know nothing of it, I'm just a strummer. But I would venture to guess it might just be your body mechanics that need some adjustment.

I bet Sukie could give you some great advice.

I cannot spend much money right now. Besides, I don't want a concert body. I want a larger body so that my wrist is straight when I try to finger pick over the sound hole.

It's a ukulele. You're not really supposed to be over the sound hole for the sweet spot on the strings.

It's a ukulele. You're not really supposed to be over the sound hole for the sweet spot on the strings.

I guess this should be explained further.

The sound has no relation to the where you are picking in regards to the sound hole. That hole is so that more sound can come out. What makes the sound is the strings vibrating the top and honestly, most of that is happening in the lower bout. You want to be picking approximately just above the sound hole on most ukes. That's about the halfway point between saddle and nut, where the strings will most effectively vibrate the sound board. You probably want to keep your arm off of the saddle because that's where the strings have direct contact with the sound board.

Anyhow, don't fixate on picking over the sound hole.

Sukie is amazing at finger picking.

I know nothing of it, I'm just a strummer. But I would venture to guess it might just be your body mechanics that need some adjustment.

I bet Sukie could give you some great advice.

I did not know Sukie is a picker! Good to know!

I guess this should be explained further.

The sound has no relation to the where you are picking in regards to the sound hole. That hole is so that more sound can come out. What makes the sound is the strings vibrating the top and honestly, most of that is happening in the lower bout. You want to be picking approximately just above the sound hole on most ukes. That's about the halfway point between saddle and nut, where the strings will most effectively vibrate the sound board. You probably want to keep your arm off of the saddle because that's where the strings have direct contact with the sound board.

Anyhow, don't fixate on picking over the sound hole.

Look at you giving detailed ukulele instructions like you're a real player! I'm impressed! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom