::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kid gets a nice juicy rib eye.

I'm eating mizutaki again.

(pretty much boiled napa cabbage, a few types of mushrooms, tofu and meat dipped in a sour-ish citrus/soy dipping sauce)

still not tired of it, but I imagine I will be sooner or later.

I tagged you in a stupid expensive salt dispenser, but if it is as precise as it claims it might be worthwhile.

I tagged you in a stupid expensive salt dispenser, but if it is as precise as it claims it might be worthwhile.

I saw that.

I'm not salting my food at all right now. It's not that bad. And it makes it easy if I have to go out I can cheat a little because I haven't had added salt all day. Yesterday I splurged and had a little bleu cheese dressing on my salad at dinner and a pat of butter on my half a baked potato. Still stayed well within my sodium intake limits and felt like I ate a special treat.

Thanks for thinking of me though. I really appreciate it!

I saw that.

I'm not salting my food at all right now. It's not that bad. And it makes it easy if I have to go out I can cheat a little because I haven't had added salt all day. Yesterday I splurged and had a little bleu cheese dressing on my salad at dinner and a pat of butter on my half a baked potato. Still stayed well within my sodium intake limits and felt like I ate a special treat.

<3

I'm glad you're adjusting. I know restaurant food is usually higher in salt than home cooking, but if you're a chef, then isn't home food kind of the same as restaurant food?

<3

I'm glad you're adjusting. I know restaurant food is usually higher in salt than home cooking, but if you're a chef, then isn't home food kind of the same as restaurant food?

I make a mess. :)

I can cook better than most of the places we go to but it's the convenience of eating out because of our schedules that we've fallen into really bad habits. Tonight I cooked way more than we needed but now I have lunches for the rest of the week. Granted it's going to be the same lunch every day this week but at least I know how much salt was used (none actually) and I have more control over what I'm eating. James loves Outback Steakhouse for some reason. He gets the ribs with a side of mac n cheese. I either go with a salad or salmon. They will cook all of their menu without salt upon request. I usually stick with chicken or fish if I get a protein when we eat out. At restaurants I'm eating a lot of salads or a side baked potato with maybe a pat of butter and chives.

I'm finding I'm not a fan of Mrs. Dash. I bought and tried almost every flavor they make. The only thing I really like it on is avocado on toast with a little lemon squeezed on top. But I've come to discover that avocados are fairly high in calories. Same with onions which I never would have thought about.

I baked some skinless, boneless chicken thighs in a crapton of garlic and pepper the other day. That was surprisingly good and super flavorful. Either that or I really am getting used to bland food. Next time I'm going to de-bone my own chicken and use the bones and skin for stock to cook with. They make low sodium stock but if I make it myself I'll know for sure it won't have any salt (it still tasted salty to me).

What is killing me is that some of my formerly favorite foods are super high in sodium.

Stupid fish and chips are like 1,600 - 2,500mg. of salt per serving at restaurants. And that's just the fish. No fries.

Anything I can think of Korean and Chinese is now off the table. Japanese pickled anything is now dead to me.

Next time I have some free time I'm going to try to find a sight that specializes in low sodium or sodium free cooking supplies. I need low-sodium mirin. It's like a staple for so many Japanese foods/sauces and I can't locate where to purchase the low/no sodium version. That would open up teriyaki sauces, sukiyaki bases, all kinds of home style Japanese food. I also need to check out Indian food. They have so many spices I'm hoping that salt is used sparingly in their foods.

I like baba ganoush and it's okay for me to eat but I can't have pita so I need to figure out a veggie to eat it with. Maybe bell pepper or something like that. I'm not a huge fan of carrots or celery which seems like a logical goto to dip as a veggie.

It's taking less and less to fill me up during a meal, but most times I get really hungry a couple hours after I've eaten. I've been trying to drink a big glass of water when that happens. I read that most of the time you feel hungry you're body is actually thirsty, so I've been giving that a shot.

I think it's bullshit actually, but it does fill me up and gets my mind off of being hungry for a bit.

My fat ass broke my scale about a year ago and I haven't replaced it so I don't know how much weight I've lost. I don't think it's that much after losing the water weight. Maybe 10lbs or so. Enough that my pants will fall off when I'm standing there. But that isn't a good measurement because I had gotten so fat that I had to wear my pants below my big belly or wear suspenders and buy even bigger pants.

I know when I finally started going to the doctor because I was feeling so bad that I weighed in at 281lb that first sick visit.

I weighed 256lbs the day of my angiogram but that was at 6:00am without any clothes.

I saw an article that listed the top 20 things you should know how to do in a kitchen and caramelize onions was one of them so tomorrow we caramelize. And then make French Onion Soup. I thought I found something else I can have but then remembered the beef broth. Canned broth is full of sodium. I'll have to make my own broth to make it, but that's very doable.

Oooh. Maybe I'll make an oxtail stew.

Off to google low sodium recipes.

good night

I got him one grandpa shirt already. Maybe I'll get him one that says "ask me about my grandson".

Or "get off my lawn".

I also think of caffeine free diet coke from my grandpa. But I didn't spend much time with my grandpa's.

I saw that.

I'm glad to hear it is getting a little easier for you!

I baked some skinless, boneless chicken thighs in a crapton of garlic and pepper the other day. That was surprisingly good and super flavorful. Either that or I really am getting used to bland food. Next time I'm going to de-bone my own chicken and use the bones and skin for stock to cook with. They make low sodium stock but if I make it myself I'll know for sure it won't have any salt (it still tasted salty to me).

Sounds yummy! I feel like I add garlic to almost everything I make.

It's taking less and less to fill me up during a meal, but most times I get really hungry a couple hours after I've eaten. I've been trying to drink a big glass of water when that happens. I read that most of the time you feel hungry you're body is actually thirsty, so I've been giving that a shot.

I think it's bullshit actually, but it does fill me up and gets my mind off of being hungry for a bit.
I do that too. Sometimes it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom