::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what I would do if I did not see the ocean every day. I have grown up seeing the Pacific daily. Now I also get to swim in it more often.
It is a big part of my attraction to Hawaii. I am so happy that Nanilei is enjoying it too.

She knows it is an irrational fear, she used to swim in the ocean when she was a kid, but as an adult she became fearful.
I am hopeful she has it completely licked soon!

I swam in the ocean when I visited Hawaii, although I am hesitant about it. It bothered me more swimming at the beach by the hotel, actually, than swimming in deeper water on a snorkeling excursion. Swimming from the boat just seemed safer, somehow, than swimming from shore. Irrational, but true.

I guess the waves bother me, and the potential for rip currents, in the beach situation. Oddly, I'm more worried about being attacked by sea critters at the beach, too. I never gave it a thought while snorkeling....

I swam in the ocean when I visited Hawaii, although I am hesitant about it. It bothered me more swimming at the beach by the hotel, actually, than swimming in deeper water on a snorkeling excursion. Swimming from the boat just seemed safer, somehow, than swimming from shore. Irrational, but true.

I guess the waves bother me, and the potential for rip currents, in the beach situation. Oddly, I'm more worried about being attacked by sea critters at the beach, too. I never gave it a thought while snorkeling....

I definitely don't mind shore swimming and feel real comfortable. But I am also confident past the breakers as well. Don't think I ever went off shore snorkeling or anything.

Depends on visibility and location for me. I felt very safe swimming in Thailand because I knew the area was massively over fished. Hawaii scares me though, I've seen videos of what 's in the waters there.

Depends on visibility and location for me. I felt very safe swimming in Thailand because I knew the area was massively over fished. Hawaii scares me though, I've seen videos of what 's in the waters there.

I would be more afraid of a rogue wave or a strong rip than being a creature's dinner or unintended victim.
Yes, there are shark attacks in Hawaii, usually surfers.
There is also a fairly reliable recipe for shark attacks - they happen at dawn or twilight mostly, and in water with low visibility, like sand churn.
So if you avoid swimming or surfing at those times, and choose beaches where the sea is clear, I am confident in ocean safety.
I have been swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving in Hawaii waters for over forty years and only seen sharks a few times. I have never felt in any danger from the sharks I have encountered either. We each just minded our own business.

Of course dawn and dusk are prime times for surfing (before/after work) and the low visibility thing I think the shark might think you are a meal and take a taste, whereupon they usually just spit you out.
That taste can be a pretty severe imjury though.
So, I just avoid swimming in those conditions.

Saw Avengers today. I had been kind of wanting to see a space movie lately, so that worked out for me.
I think Nanilei had a nice nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom