::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I made the mistake of not getting the insurance on my plane ticket. After we move, I need to reschedule my flight.

Call the airline directly and ask if they can help. Explain your husbands company is transferring you.

Watching the video of the Championship Game from yesterday.

That coach shouldn't be around young kids.

Hey Padre - I just got an email from school that one of the district superintendents for the United Methodist Church's Great Plains conference will be on campus this week looking to talk to students about serving in that conference. The conference consists of Nebraska and Kansas. What do you think? Sound like a tantalizing prospect?

Hey Padre - I just got an email from school that one of the district superintendents for the United Methodist Church's Great Plains conference will be on campus this week looking to talk to students about serving in that conference. The conference consists of Nebraska and Kansas. What do you think? Sound like a tantalizing prospect?

Honestly, the cultural shift from the coastal West to this part of the Midwest is harder than it looks. The dominant cultural value is conformity. Individuality is unconsciously assumed to be a condemnation of the norm. Patriotism is not merely strong, it is mandatory, and every day is Veterans' Day (discounts, privileged parking, social recognition). And Kansas politics are horrible. We are half an hour outside of Kansas City and it feels like we are on the very edge of civilization. All the stereotypes of open carry, Bible thumping, and pajamas in Wal-mart are present here. There are Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Costco stores in the oasis that is Kansas City.

The Methodist Church is strong here, stronger than the Episcopal Church, anyway, with little congregations just everywhere. There are part-time multi-location appointments. I know UMC clergy who are devoted and devout, but they are also poorly compensated and put into odd-lot kinds of placements. Because of itineracy congregations are under no obligation to actually care for or listen to their clergy. They know that there will be a new appointee soon. The UMC church in Leavenworth was once a pillar of the Kansas conference. In the last 10 years they've had at least 4 pastors appointed, the longest staying about 2 1/2 years, all casualties of a hardened laity. That shizz really puts your calling to the test. Isolation is an issue. Once you are away from a city you are away from all the things: groceries, movies, colleagues, &c. The Kansas cities are Kansas City/Johnson County, Lawrence, Topeka, Manhattan, Emporia, and Wichita. Anywhere else is isolated. Can't really say about Nebraska, but many of the social conditions are the same. A strong set of gifts for congregational ministry would be important for someone to thrive here. Gifts like listening, spiritual guidance, discernment, patience, clear communication, articulate (but not complex) preaching, and a grounding of faith that doesn't depend too much on the affection of your folks are essential.

Go ahead and listen to the spiel. But consider the cost of adaptation that you and your family will have to pay. Once you're here it's hard to get out again. Our move is the product of good luck more than the execution of a plan. The house we bought in Phoenix has already appreciated more than the house here has in 18 years.

Sorry to be so glum. One man's take. But as a Californian I can't say the move was a good choice, just something I did for Christ's sake.

Last edited:
Honestly, the cultural shift from the coastal West to this part of the Midwest is harder than it looks. The dominant cultural value is conformity. Individuality is unconsciously assumed to be a condemnation of the norm. Patriotism is not merely strong, it is mandatory, and every day is Veterans' Day (discounts, privileged parking, social recognition). And Kansas politics are horrible. We are half an hour outside of Kansas City and it feels like we are on the very edge of civilization. All the stereotypes of open carry, Bible thumping, and pajamas in Wal-mart are present here. There are Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Costco stores in the oasis that is Kansas City.

The Methodist Church is strong here, stronger than the Episcopal Church, anyway, with little congregations just everywhere. There are part-time multi-location appointments. I know UMC clergy who are devoted and devout, but they are also poorly compensated and put into odd-lot kinds of placements. Because of itineracy congregations are under no obligation to actually care for or listen to their clergy. They know that there will be a new appointee soon. The UMC church in Leavenworth was once a pillar of the Kansas conference. In the last 10 years they've had at least 4 pastors appointed, the longest staying about 2 1/2 years, all casualties of a hardened laity. That shizz really puts your calling to the test. Isolation is an issue. Once you are away from a city you are away from all the things: groceries, movies, colleagues, &c. The Kansas cities are Kansas City/Johnson County, Lawrence, Topeka, Manhattan, Emporia, and Wichita. Anywhere else is isolated. Can't really say about Nebraska, but many of the social conditions are the same. A strong set of gifts for congregational ministry would be important for someone to thrive here. Gifts like listening, spiritual guidance, discernment, patience, clear communication, articulate (but not complex) preaching, and a grounding of faith that doesn't depend too much on the affection of your folks are essential.

Go ahead and listen to the spiel. But consider the cost of adaptation that you and your family will have to pay. Once you're here it's hard to get out again. Our move is the product of good luck more than the execution of a plan. The house we bought in Phoenix has already appreciated more than the house here has in 18 years.

Sorry to be so glum. One man's take. But as a Californian I can't say the move was a good choice, just something I did for Christ's sake.

Oh, I was just teasing - there is no way I'm leaving the Pacific Northwest if I can help it. My family would wither and die in that environment. We are about as progressive/liberal as you can get. Congregations would HATE me. I'm not heading for a local church appointment, anyway, so the whole thing doesn't really mean much to me anyway. I found it interesting, though, in a couple of ways: 1) that a DS would come, and not the bishop. I suppose there may be multiple Methodist seminaries holding on-campus sessions this week, so maybe they're dividing and conquering and 2) that they would expect much out of Iliff, which is probably (along with Claremont) the most liberal of all the Methodist seminaries.

Oh, I was just teasing - there is no way I'm leaving the Pacific Northwest if I can help it. My family would wither and die in that environment. We are about as progressive/liberal as you can get. Congregations would HATE me. I'm not heading for a local church appointment, anyway, so the whole thing doesn't really mean much to me anyway. I found it interesting, though, in a couple of ways: 1) that a DS would come, and not the bishop. I suppose there may be multiple Methodist seminaries holding on-campus sessions this week, so maybe they're dividing and conquering and 2) that they would expect much out of Iliff, which is probably (along with Claremont) the most liberal of all the Methodist seminaries.

Well there's time I won't get back.

I went on a hike today!
The young folks just blazed on up, but I kept at it, and I made it.
I brought my ukulele and said I would just stop if I felt like I could not continue.
I rested at a few spots with my heart pumping a bit harder than I would have liked, but I made it.
The view was totally worth it.
The confidence to do it again is priceless.
Plus I got to play ukulele inside a pillbox, great acoustics!
I do have video.
Here is the view from the top.
fmSMPmt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom