::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked the local news. They said the smell is from all of the fires to the south of us. The valley has been smoke filled and hazy all week. Enough that it is showing up on the radar.

Hope you're out of harms way Nick.

I'm pretty sure the fire is burning towards the opposite direction of me so I'm not worried. It sucks for everyone else though. :(

It is only about 10 miles from me though.

It's that thing that will not happen for quite a long time for me.

Hubby and I didn't think it would ever be possible but those reports you get from social security give me hope.

Hubby and I didn't think it would ever be possible but those reports you get from social security give me hope.

I always thought I would need 30 years of teaching to retire with my full salary.

My friend just had a meeting with the retirement people and there's some formula that factors in your start date age when figuring out when you can retire. I figured I'd work until I'm 67 and that would give me 30 years of teaching. My friend said I probably only have to work until I'm 62 or so. In teaching there comes a point where, you need to retire or you're kind of working for less than you'd make if you retired.

I'll probably work until James is done with college which would take me to 67 anyhow.

Who knows?!

I'm making yet another trip to Home Depot. They're considering giving me a VIP parking spot. I decided to work on the new handrail for the basement stairs today. The neighbor who cares for the cats while we are away is more comfortable with a handrail on each side of the stairs, rather than just one side.

I found handrail and brackets to match what is already there, so that's no problem. The problem is that the one wall is not flat....there is a "step" in it, which means that the top bracket needs to be built out 1 3/4". Also, the builder did the original handrail fancier than some I've seen, and the railing does a 90 degree turn back to the wall at each end....what they call a "return". This means both ends of the railing have to be mitered and joined. And, because of the step in the wall, the returns at the ends of the railing are different lengths.

None of these things are insurmountable, but they have made the job fussy. Now I need some 3 1/2" screws, and some painter's tape. It never ends....;)

Mike is 58. I don't want him working past 65. No way. That job and drive to work would kill him if he stayed there more time than necessary.

The central coast is calling to me. This last week I told him he needed to tell me where he wants to retire. I need to know his wants. Is the central coast a possibility? Oregon? Washington? I need to start shopping for a piece of land unless he wants to be where we are forever. I'm very flexible but I need to hear what he wants. Our entire marriage I have dictated where we live and what house to buy. It's time for him to tell me where he wants to live.

Mike is 58. I don't want him working past 65. No way. That job and drive to work would kill him if he stayed there more time than necessary.

The central coast is calling to me. This last week I told him he needed to tell me where he wants to retire. I need to know his wants. Is the central coast a possibility? Oregon? Washington? I need to start shopping for a piece of land unless he wants to be where we are forever. I'm very flexible but I need to hear what he wants. Our entire marriage I have dictated where we live and what house to buy. It's time for him to tell me where he wants to live.

Kapolei.

We could be neighbors :)

Mike sounds like Paul. Mike wants what will make you happy.
I try to let Paul pick things, but he always (well, almost always) defers to my choices. I think he is happiest that way.

Retiring to Hawaii would never ever have crossed my mind if it wasn't for following Damon's journey to get there and make it happen.

And Mika.

It was her idea but following Damon's journey planted the seed that it is possible. Otherwise I would have been against it and scared to take that chance. But if we can purchase and pay off a place before we retire, it looks very possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom