::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Fantastic Beasts today.
We enjoyed it!

Do you think it's okay to take James to that?

He's watched all of the Harry Potter movies and all of the Avenger movies. He wanted to see it but one of his friends got scared at a neighborhood haunted house when we went trick or treating so we switched to Moana so he wouldn't freak out.

Matt had to do an ancestry assignment for school this week, coincidental that everyone is talking about grandparents today. I realized last night how quickly people are forgotten, I can name some of my great grandparents but have no clue after that. Weird to think, we will be dead and forgotten in 100+ years from now.

Matt had to do an ancestry assignment for school this week, coincidental that everyone is talking about grandparents today. I realized last night how quickly people are forgotten, I can name some of my great grandparents but have no clue after that. Weird to think, we will be dead and forgotten in 100+ years from now.

I always think about that as a teacher. I bust my ass to create a name but as soon as I step out of my room for the last time I'll be forgotten within months and school will march on and there'll be someone new in my place and as far as the school goes, I won't exist for the new kids.

I always think about that as a teacher. I bust my ass to create a name but as soon as I step out of my room for the last time I'll be forgotten within months and school will march on and there'll be someone new in my place and as far as the school goes, I won't exist for the new kids.
I have very fond memories of many of my teachers.

Then there is/was Miss Telander. No so fond. But yet remembered.

I was the 5th Braddock to attend my high school. When I was there there were a few teachers who remembered my dad and uncle. More of them remembered my sister and brother. Holy hell, the expectations were a huge weight for me.

Of course you won't exist for the new kids, they'll will have never met you. Schools are institutions, and institutions don't really have memories.

However, I remember each of my teachers quite clearly, all the way back to kindergarten. I remember what they taught me, how they taught me, and how they made me feel. That's going to be your legacy, Gary-- not a plaque on a wall, but living on in how hundreds of newly-minted adults act, think, and behave. Pretty good legacy if you ask me.

Thinking about mortality, and being gone and forgotten, is giving me the heebie-jeebies. It makes me wonder what it's all been for....

I have very fond memories of many of my teachers.

Then there is/was Miss Telander. No so fond. But yet remembered.

I was the 5th Braddock to attend my high school. When I was there there were a few teachers who remembered my dad and uncle. More of them remembered my sister and brother. Holy hell, the expectations were a huge weight for me.

:) my sisters have thanked me for setting the academic bar so low

It's funny because we just talked about this at Thanksgiving. They both felt that teachers expected them to be leaders in the classroom and around campus. They are both sort of introverted.

I was socially invested in high school. Academics not so much. Just enough to play sports and stay in student leadership positions.

My high school, at least as I remember it, exists only in my head. The building is still there, and is still in use, although improvements have been made over the years.

But school, in my mind, was about the people there. None of the people I remember as being there are still there; not the students, the faculty, the staff or the administration. I graduated over 46 years ago. No education professionals work that long.

They even got bullied into changing the school sports teams' names. Being the Indians was no longer politically correct. Now they are the Eagles. Time marches on....

Of course you won't exist for the new kids, they'll will have never met you. Schools are institutions, and institutions don't really have memories.

However, I remember each of my teachers quite clearly, all the way back to kindergarten. I remember what they taught me, how they taught me, and how they made me feel. That's going to be your legacy, Gary-- not a plaque on a wall, but living on in how hundreds of newly-minted adults act, think, and behave. Pretty good legacy if you ask me.

I'm going to be that teacher that didn't teach English as much as talked about life and what it means to be a good person to his kids.

I know I won't mean anything to the new kids, I was just thinking of some of the teachers, great teachers, that have retired from here. They ask about school and sometimes some of the things they did around here. I know they want to hear that they still mean something to the school, to the kids. They dedicated 35+ years here. I usually lie to them and tell them the programs they started or were passionate about, still exist and/or they're flourishing. It's rarely true. Once you're gone, you and everything you did is gone too.

I wasn't thinking so much about myself and what I mean to this school. I was thinking about those teachers that don't realize that once they're gone they're forgotten by the school . . . not the kids they taught.

I hope my students remember me for trying to raise them up. That's what I feel like a teacher should do. Raise them up. I give them more trust and respect than they deserve and try to build up each and every one of them in some way. It's really easy to do in my Culinary classes, a little tougher in English.

I'm not sure how important it is in life to know literary terms, but I do know that making them feel good about themselves, to give them a little confidence, will go a long way.

Thanks for the comment Rich. It felt good. Thank you.

With modern technology, some of us will "exist" for our descendants on video. Only the last generation or two had anything similar, in the form of film.

A hundred years from now, it is possible that our great-grandkids will be able to see and hear us on video, and perhaps get a sense of who we were, and what we were like....

Last edited:
My high school, at least as I remember it, exists only in my head. The building is still there, and is still in use, although improvements have been made over the years.

But school, in my mind, was about the people there. None of the people I remember as being there are still there; not the students, the faculty, the staff or the administration. I graduated over 46 years ago. No education professionals work that long.

They even got bullied into changing the school sports teams' names. Being the Indians was no longer politically correct. Now they are the Eagles. Time marches on....

There is a sub still working here that retired after a 35 year career. She retired when I graduated high school . . . 36 years ago.

Dixie Starr

Sounds like a p*** star but she was a child actress in the time of Shirley Temple Black. I think she said she's 92 and still working. She needs to stop but hey, more power to her.

We have another sub, Dick Klokow who looks exactly like Mr. Frederickson from Up. The kids even affectionately call him "Mr. F" He's 91. Takes computer programming classes at the local JC so he "doesn't lose his marbles." Dick has slowed down the last couple of years and will only sub for certain teachers (the ones who have good classroom management generally have good classes for subs). When my kids know I'm going to be out they beg me to call Mr. F.

With modern technology, some of us will "exist" for our descendants on video. Only the last generation or two had anything similar, in the form of film.

A hundred years from now, it is possible that our great-grandkids will be able to see and hear us on video, and perhaps get a sense of who we were, and what we were like....

When I worked at Cisco a coworker showed me a video he took of his kids running up to his parents getting off a plane from India. It was the first time they had met their grandparents face to face (the kids were about 8 and 10) but they recognized them immediately because they "skyped" from birth.

I thought that was really cool.

This is from a movie I can't remember the name of but this line really got to me.

We die twice. Once when we take our last breath and again when the last person we know says our name for the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom