::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't any confusion. It's the old give people something for free long enough and they come to expect it.

Yeah, I would hate that too.

When I put on that concert with Craig and Sarah I think my opening act got charged for admission. I've been too embarrassed to find out and they never said anything.

I'm definitely not a promoter.

Hey Gary two things you can try to help with meal prep are getting some things ready on the weekends (which you could.also have James help with)
and making meals that have leftovers you can have another night in the week.
We usually plan our menu for the following week on Wednesday or Thursday, because a part of what we make is also based on what is on sale on $5 Friday at Safeway.
We hit $5 Friday sale after work, and usually have a leftover meal so no one has to cook.
Then we do the rest of the shopping over the weekend and prep. We have Tupperware and plastic bags in the fridge and freezer for the following week, and we usually even write what we are having on a little dry-erase board stuck on the fridge.
It really helps, and we never say, "what's for dinner?"

There isn't any confusion. It's the old give people something for free long enough and they come to expect it.

Yep. I think the internet has had a lot to do with that, since there is so much free content (and content that appears to be free). It's hilarious when people on UU insist that they should determine how the site runs because it's a "public site." They actually don't understand that there are people who invest money and time in this site and are good enough to let you use it for free. They think it appears magically.

Yeah, I would hate that too.

When I put on that concert with Craig and Sarah I think my opening act got charged for admission. I've been too embarrassed to find out and they never said anything.

I'm definitely not a promoter.

And sadly, it was probably the most he ever got paid for a gig :).

Hey Gary two things you can try to help with meal prep are getting some things ready on the weekends (which you could.also have James help with)
and making meals that have leftovers you can have another night in the week.
We usually plan our menu for the following week on Wednesday or Thursday, because a part of what we make is also based on what is on sale on $5 Friday at Safeway.
We hit $5 Friday sale after work, and usually have a leftover meal so no one has to cook.
Then we do the rest of the shopping over the weekend and prep. We have Tupperware and plastic bags in the fridge and freezer for the following week, and we usually even write what we are having on a little dry-erase board stuck on the fridge.
It really helps, and we never say, "what's for dinner?"

We're working our way towards that.

The hard part is James' activities take up our weekends. And teaching isn't a 9-5 job. My work starts when the school day ends. Being with the kids is the easiest part of my day usually.

The Alfredo was supposed to be for lunch the next day too. 1.25lbs of pasta, two heads of broccoli, two big chicken breasts only made it through one meal. James ate more than I expected. Much more.

I'm going to get a sous vide and start using it on cheap pieces of roast and then smoke them to finish them and use that for lunch meat all week and maybe improvise meals with it too. I'm also planning on cooking more in my classroom to take home.

There are many meals that making it for two nights is really no more effort, like Mapo Tofu,
stuffed aburagi, enchiladas, spaghetti, chicken pot pie casserole, tacos/burritos, chili, Sukiyaki, stew, beef tomato, curry, souvlaki...
Those are just what I remember off the top of my head.

Welcome back Rich! It was fun watching your adventures on Facebook.
Mahalo for sharing!

Yeah Gary I knew you were gonna say that about your weekends, but I am pretty sure that once you embrace it it will work out ok. Deciding what to eat,
going out and getting it, and eating in restaurants takes time too. You will find a lot of stress removed once you get into it. And you save $ - bonus! You will also have a bonus of more James time. And he will know his way around the kitchen for the future when he will need to feed himself.

All those things I need to do today? So far I've done laundry.

I have one more hour where I can be a lazy waste.

I have a cousin who is over forty, whose parents never cooked.
The only thing she can make for breakfast is cereal.
Pretty sad.

Seriously though, how does Venice smell?

Not unlike any other city. I have heard during warm months there can be a bit of an odor from the canals, but this is my second trip there is cool weather and I've never noticed any unusual smell. We had a slight Acqua Alta while we were there, when the tide rises and water comes into the city. In San Marco, the lowest-lying part of the city, there was perhaps a 1/2 inch of water, which was easily avoided by staying to the edges. When it's worse, they have a system of temporary walkways that raise you about a foot off the ground. Since it's tides and not flooding, its all gone after the tide goes out.

I've been having James help me slice and dice.

It tries your patience at times because what takes him fifteen to twenty minutes to slice, I could have done in 30 seconds. I want him to take his time and do it correctly though. Speed will come with practice. He seems pretty interested in cooking so I was thinking about buying him his own knife.

I was never taught proper knife skills for cooking. I get the job done, though....

I was never taught proper knife skills for cooking. I get the job done, though....

Hold close to the hilt, keep your index finger off the top of the blade and keep your other fingers out of the way of the sharp part.

Can't go wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom